Posted to alt.home.repair

Default backstab outlets

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:50:16 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Those are made for stranded wire. I am sure just about everyone
carries them. You can, of course, use them with solid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Do you have a real electrical supply convenient to you? not a hardware
store or big box. They will know what you're talking about. BTW you
are looking for a "back wire" not "backstab" receptacle.

back wire = good; has the little clamps under the screws to hold a
straight wire in

backstab = teh suck

side wire = good, but you have to loop the wires around the screws.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Cover them in whipped cream.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-10-25, JIMMIE wrote:

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw?

Leviton BR15 or CR15. My local home depot carries them individually
and in a 10-pack.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Do you have a real electrical supply convenient to you? not a hardware
store or big box. They will know what you're talking about. BTW you
are looking for a "back wire" not "backstab" receptacle.

back wire = good; has the little clamps under the screws to hold a
straight wire in

backstab = teh suck

side wire = good, but you have to loop the wires around the screws.

nate

You forgot to mention that you can't trust backstab
outlets, they're real weasels. I don't like working
around them.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Cooper makes a receptacle with a screw down clamp where you don't need to
bend the wire into a loop. Lowes sells them. You may have to restrip some
wires as you will find some of the ends will break off after removal from
the old receptacle. The best way to go is pigtailing multiple conductors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On Oct 24, 7:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Wouldn't it be easier to change the wife?
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Are they backstab now? If so, why do you want to replace them with new
ones that will be just as much a problem as you are having now? If they
are screwed in now you will have to rebend them straight. If the ends are
now straight you will not have to do that much work to strip a little more
wire and bend them. It is not that big a deal if you want the job done
right.

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On Oct 24, 7:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a new wife?
Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Those are called "spec grade" receptacles.

--
js

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the
support of Paul. ----George Bernard Shaw

Posted to alt.home.repair

alarman wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Those are called "spec grade" receptacles.

Not all spec grade receptacles have this feature. I have some Leviton
spec grade receptacles that I bought for an upstairs bedroom; they do
not have the "back wire" feature. I'm not real broken up about this,
but the OP did specify what he wanted. I'd specify a brand/model if I
knew, but I just know that they exist.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 24, 7:50*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Pass & Seymour/LeGrand has eight different colors. Many of their back
wired are screw clamped, but their cheapo TradeMaster line may not
since it is rated 14 ga only. Most box stores in the midwest have
them, as well as our local electrical distributor. Keep looking,
you're sure to find what you want.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Are they backstab now? If so, why do you want to replace them with new
ones that will be just as much a problem as you are having now? If they
are screwed in now you will have to rebend them straight. If the ends are
now straight you will not have to do that much work to strip a little more
wire and bend them. It is not that big a deal if you want the job done
right.

Mike D.

Agree that the bending and fitting to the terminals is no big deal- I
replaced the 2-hole outlets in this place (yes, the boxes were
grounded), and rewired the reversed-polarity grounded outlets. A pair of
good and large needle-nose helps a lot. However, the monkey wrench in
all this is if the guy that wired it didn't leave any slack in the wall,
and the wires are not long enough (like if the end breaks off or
something.) I had a few that were a real struggle to get around the
screws, and still manage to fold everything back into the wall.

IMHO, outlet/switch boxes need to be deeper, and code should say no stud
staples closer than a foot from the box, with at least 3 extra wire
inches between the last staple and the clamp on the box. It would add a
couple bucks to the price of the house, but make life a lot easier for
the guy 20 years later doing the upkeep. When you wire, be kind to the
next poor SOB that is going to be in there- I always TRY to, at least.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've also used the Levitons and I liked the positive connections and the
easy back wiring. Just strip and tighten. I got mine bulk packed at Home
Depot.

Bernie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Claude Hopper wrote:

That's only because Americans make crap. They could be made better and
work properly.

Huh?

Consider the JDAM (Joint Defense Attack Munition). It's a bolt-on guidance
system for legacy gravity bombs. Using GPS it can direct the bomb to within
thirty feet of the programmed target from a release point up to fifteen
miles away.

With it, we can kill beaucoup boogers!

At about $30,000 a pop, they're far cheaper than $750,000 for a Tomahawk for
the same happy package.

How can one forget the TV jingle:

JDAM guidance saves a lot,
Precise boom is what it's got,
Kills 'em faster, better too,
JDAM bomb is the bomb for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Claude Hopper wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

But you forgot the cause and effect. Big Box came along and told us the
only thing we want is cheap, cheap, cheap and they delivered on the
promise. Some call it the Walmart syndrome. Give most people a choice
between quality at a fair price and cheap, cheap, cheap and most will
pick cheap. So we get what we have been trained by big box to want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Claude Hopper wrote:
George wrote:
Claude Hopper wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

I don't recall asking for cheap, cheap, crappy, crappy backstab outlets.
I also don't see a big problem curling the end of a wire to fit around a
screw; take what, 2 seconds?

Maybe you and I didn't but judging by how many big box stores there are
that tout cheap, cheap, cheap it would seem we are outnumbered.

I agree with stripping and forming the loop. I have had a Klein stripper
for years that has some holes in it for just that purpose so you can
strip and make the loop using only one tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

But you forgot the cause and effect. Big Box came along and told us
the only thing we want is cheap, cheap, cheap and they delivered on
the promise. Some call it the Walmart syndrome. Give most people a
choice between quality at a fair price and cheap, cheap, cheap and
most will pick cheap. So we get what we have been trained by big box
to want.

There are thirty companies whose stock makes up the Dow-Jones Industrial
Average. Of these, 29 are down. Some WAY down (GE from $41 to $17, 3M from
$89 to $59, GM from $40 to $4, H-P from $53 to $30).

The only one that's up? Walmart. (WMT from $42 to $50).

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
But you forgot the cause and effect. Big Box came along and told us
the only thing we want is cheap, cheap, cheap and they delivered on
the promise. Some call it the Walmart syndrome. Give most people a
choice between quality at a fair price and cheap, cheap, cheap and
most will pick cheap. So we get what we have been trained by big box
to want.

There are thirty companies whose stock makes up the Dow-Jones Industrial
Average. Of these, 29 are down. Some WAY down (GE from $41 to $17, 3M from
$89 to $59, GM from $40 to $4, H-P from $53 to $30).

The only one that's up? Walmart. (WMT from $42 to $50).

Dear God that is scary. The fact that Wal-Mart is up is even more
frightening than that others are down. Cheap Chinese crap is going to
take over the world.

Me? I am just riding it out. I was too slow to sell so I might as well
hold, it's going to be 30+ years before I need any of it anyway.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
But you forgot the cause and effect. Big Box came along and told us
the only thing we want is cheap, cheap, cheap and they delivered on
the promise. Some call it the Walmart syndrome. Give most people a
choice between quality at a fair price and cheap, cheap, cheap and
most will pick cheap. So we get what we have been trained by big box
to want.

There are thirty companies whose stock makes up the Dow-Jones Industrial
Average. Of these, 29 are down. Some WAY down (GE from $41 to $17, 3M from
$89 to $59, GM from $40 to $4, H-P from $53 to $30).

The only one that's up? Walmart. (WMT from $42 to $50).

You seem to have just proved my point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 17:39:25 -0400, George wrote:
Larry Caldwell wrote:
In article ,
(Claude Hopper) says...

I don't recall asking for cheap, cheap, crappy, crappy backstab outlets.
I also don't see a big problem curling the end of a wire to fit around a
screw; take what, 2 seconds?

It's not the receptacle, it's the labor. Strip and stab is quicker than
strip and screw. The general contractor asked the electrical sub for
cheap, and the electrical sub delivered. If you can set and torque
screw terminals in 2 seconds, you need to go into business.

But overall its the "Walmart syndrome". At one time people used to
consider value. Now its cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap. So they demand cheap
from the builder and the builder demands cheap from the subs and the
subs demand cheap from their suppliers.

I don't know why people keep picking on walmart in particular. It's
no different than the supermarket chains, or any other large chain.
Supermarkets killed the local farmers markets. Target, Kmart, and
Walmart are pretty much the same kind of company. Sears was doing it
40 years ago. Competition from mail order outlets has been going on
for 100 years.

Bitch bitch bitch. If you want to compete with walmart&co, you simply
have to find a niche and do it better at least until walmart copies you.
Farmers markets stay in business by providing niche products (organic,
etc.) Lots of small bookstores, retail outlets have done the same.
Or pretend that you don't have to improve and watch the local
supermarket kill your business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
But you forgot the cause and effect. Big Box came along and told us
the only thing we want is cheap, cheap, cheap and they delivered on
the promise. Some call it the Walmart syndrome. Give most people a
choice between quality at a fair price and cheap, cheap, cheap and
most will pick cheap. So we get what we have been trained by big box
to want.

There are thirty companies whose stock makes up the Dow-Jones
Industrial Average. Of these, 29 are down. Some WAY down (GE from
$41 to $17, 3M from $89 to $59, GM from $40 to $4, H-P from $53 to
$30). The only one that's up? Walmart. (WMT from $42 to $50).

You seem to have just proved my point.

But that's good!

Sometimes cheap is better, sometimes not. If the only difference between a
gallon of milk or a bag of chips is the price, well, why not?

Here's what I bought at my last trip to Walmart:
* A package of 8 foam brushes
* A gallon of Kilz paint
* A package of picture-hanging hooks
* A package of house-brand Kool-Aid (I don't want to be accused of being a
Kool-Aid drinker)
* A package of teeny Snickers bars in anticipation of Halloween. This
doesn't really count because I ate them all.

Here's another thought: If you can't tell the difference between quality,
good enough, and junk, then you should shop at stores that make the decision
for you.

Those that want quality only, but can't tell the difference, may very well
shop at Graingers.
Those that will settle for mostly good enough, will probably go to Walmart,
or a box store.
Those that knowingly want junk (because of the price) hang out at the dollar
stores (Wonder if the dollar-store has made-in-Mexico Snickers bars? Good
enough for Halloween.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 6:50*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

We live in a world full of lazy fu*kers. Bending a wire is too much
work for them. They'd rather do something useful like sit in front of
their hdtv drinking beer and doing crack while watching the Springer
show. That explains why so many products are defective when they are
sold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 17:39:25 -0400, George wrote:
Larry Caldwell wrote:
In article ,
(Claude Hopper) says...

[...]

But they perfected it and took it much further that anyone else so they
should get credit.

Bitch bitch bitch. If you want to compete with walmart&co, you simply
have to find a niche and do it better at least until walmart copies you.
Farmers markets stay in business by providing niche products (organic,
etc.) Lots of small bookstores, retail outlets have done the same.
Or pretend that you don't have to improve and watch the local
supermarket kill your business.

Outlets -- which way? Don Fearn Home Repair 66 December 11th 06 05:01 AM
Outlets -- which way? [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 6th 06 07:36 PM
GFI outlets k Home Repair 7 November 9th 06 09:49 PM
Two Outlets in One Box [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 4th 05 04:32 AM
15 Amp Outlets Greg and Kelly Carr Home Repair 11 November 5th 04 05:10 AM