Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat pump filters

SteveB wrote:

What do you consider the best of

1. Cheap filters
2. Filtrete type waffle filters
3. Cleanable filters

I tend to go with the Filtrete types, but now at around $5 per, I wonder.
The cheapos are just that, and you can almost poke a finger through at some
places. The washable, I wonder how hygienic and functional they are.

I have (had) fairly severe cat allergies and a cat. I found there was a
very noticeable difference between the cheap filters and the 1700
Filtrete filters. Now that I've been doing allergy immunotherapy
(allergy shots) my allergies are pretty much gone, but I still stick
with the better Filtrete filters based on the previous experience of how
much better they are. BTW, I highly recommend seeing an allergist about
immunotherapy for anyone with severe allergies, it works really well for
me, and they say for 90%+ of people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What do you consider the best of

1. Cheap filters
2. Filtrete type waffle filters
3. Cleanable filters

I tend to go with the Filtrete types, but now at around $5 per, I wonder.
The cheapos are just that, and you can almost poke a finger through at some
places. The washable, I wonder how hygienic and functional they are.

Comments welcome.

Steve

--
-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.-

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
What do you consider the best of

1. Cheap filters
2. Filtrete type waffle filters
3. Cleanable filters

I tend to go with the Filtrete types, but now at around $5 per, I wonder.
The cheapos are just that, and you can almost poke a finger through at
some places. The washable, I wonder how hygienic and functional they are.

A friend owns a HVAC company. Here is what he installs:

http://www.aafintl.com/Products/Repl...ctroKlean.aspx

We have one here in our 5 year old home and had one in our AZ home for 5
years as well. Seemed to work well and cleans up nice under the faucet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
What do you consider the best of

1. Cheap filters
2. Filtrete type waffle filters
3. Cleanable filters

I tend to go with the Filtrete types, but now at around $5 per, I wonder.
The cheapos are just that, and you can almost poke a finger through at
some places. The washable, I wonder how hygienic and functional they are.

A friend owns a HVAC company. Here is what he installs:

http://www.aafintl.com/Products/Repl...ctroKlean.aspx

We have one here in our 5 year old home and had one in our AZ home for 5
years as well. Seemed to work well and cleans up nice under the faucet.

I can't use those for my customers who own restaurants,
especially if it's a pizza delivery place. I come by to
check the equipment and the air filter is missing. When
I ask where the filter is, "Uh, Benny threw it away, it
was real dirty." I've used those filters in the past with
good luck. The only problem is someone has to pull it out
and clean it. It's great for conscientious home owners
who know how to take care of even simple maintenance. I
crawled under a house yesterday to replace a control board
board in a Bryant horizontal furnace and the homeowner, a
funny little old lady, was right there with me to see what
I was doing. I showed her how to turn off the power and gas
to the furnace while explaining how everything worked. She
will change her filters on a regular basis so I don't have
to worry about her.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Oct 22, 9:25*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
What do you consider the best of

1. *Cheap filters
2. *Filtrete type waffle filters
3. *Cleanable filters

I tend to go with the Filtrete types, but now at around $5 per, I wonder.
The cheapos are just that, and you can almost poke a finger through at some
places. *The washable, I wonder how hygienic and functional they are.

Comments welcome.

Steve

Personally, I use these http://tinyurl.com/5wgy5z

But, Home Depot carries a pleated brand called NaturalAire. I picked
up a 3 pack of these while my DP Max's were on order this yr and was
very happy with them. I don't remember the price ($ 7.00 for 3?), but
they are very cheap for a good pleated filter. (Merv 8 rating)
http://www.ushomefilter.com/pdf/naturalair/nastnd.pdf

BTW, washable filters suck! I had to have the coils cleaned on a 2 yr
old Trane Air Handler because of all of the crap that got through the
filter. And I washed the damn thing at least once a month, sometimes
twice!