Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding third stall on garage

I have added a third stall on to my 2 car garage. The original garage
had one light in it up front. Out of that light another wire went
over to the outdoor light by the service door. When I took down the
outer wall that that light was on I put that wire up in the rafters
with the thought that I could use it to tie the other lights that I
would be putting in the garage. When I did this all the lights work,
but the switch does not turn all the lights off just the original one
that was in the garage. I am at a loss on what to do at this point.
I would appreciate any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have added a third stall on to my 2 car garage. The original garage
had one light in it up front. Out of that light another wire went
over to the outdoor light by the service door. When I took down the
outer wall that that light was on I put that wire up in the rafters
with the thought that I could use it to tie the other lights that I
would be putting in the garage. When I did this all the lights work,
but the switch does not turn all the lights off just the original one
that was in the garage. I am at a loss on what to do at this point.
I would appreciate any help.

Turn off the power, open up the original light to get at the
electrical connections.

Figure out which wire is the one going to the other lights. You'll
probably find that the black lead from this wire is connected to a red
lead that goes back toward the switch. Disconnect this black lead from
the red lead, and wire nut it together with the other two black wires
in the light.

Wire nut and apply several layers of tape to the red wire. Put the
original light back together.

Turn the power back on. All the lights should work from the switch
now.

Now turn the power back off. Take the cover off the switch. You will
find that the other end of the red wire is connected to one black wire
that goes to the switch. It may be wire nutted together with the black
wire, and another short piece of wire that goes to the switch, or it
may be doubled-up on the screw on the switch. Either way, disconnect
the red wire, put a wire nut on it, and tape it off with several
layers of electrical tape. Put everything back and turn the power on.