Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sliding door

I took out the sliding door....replaced the wheels and can't get
the door back in with both sets of wheels.
The wheels are up in there and to the lowest position.
I've been told to remove the stationary part but the top part of the
door has the same height on both sides doesn't seem like it would be easier.
Ideas?
Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Terry Cano wrote:
I took out the sliding door....replaced the wheels and can't get
the door back in with both sets of wheels.
The wheels are up in there and to the lowest position.
I've been told to remove the stationary part but the top part of the
door has the same height on both sides doesn't seem like it would be easier.

All I have had have spring-loaded top rollers so they compress when lift
door in place. Other than that, no clue...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
Terry Cano wrote:
I took out the sliding door....replaced the wheels and can't get
the door back in with both sets of wheels.
The wheels are up in there and to the lowest position.
I've been told to remove the stationary part but the top part of the
door has the same height on both sides doesn't seem like it would be
easier.

All I have had have spring-loaded top rollers so they compress when lift
door in place. Other than that, no clue...

Oh, they also had a fixed plate or other anti-theft device that has to
be removed or adjusted in some fashion, too...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Oct 20, 7:07*pm, "Terry Cano" wrote:
I took out the sliding door....replaced the wheels and can't get
the door back in with both sets of wheels.
The wheels are up in there and to the lowest position.
I've been told to remove the stationary part but the top part of the
door has the same height on both sides doesn't seem like it would be easier.
Ideas?
Terry

How are you able to get the door in at all if the wheels are up in the
doors pocket? If the door with worn wheels came out with no problem,
than there should be no problem putting it back if the wheels are the
same size and set at the lowest position.

Did you try installing the door on both ends of the frame? The middle?
Try working in one side of the door at a time using a pry bar on the
bottom of the door. (make sure you don't pry against the guide!)

The only time I ever had a problem was because the home had settled
over the yrs. It was difficult to get the door out and I had to use a
house jack and a 2x4 on the frame / house to get the door with new
rollers back in.

BTW, Taking out the stationary door would make it harder to get the
door back in if the home as settled.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Oct 21, 2:50*am, "Terry Cano" wrote:
The wheel *assembly goes up in the bottom frame...there is a
small bracket that is supposed to go around the screws that holds the frame
together.
This keeps the wheel assembly in the right place so you can adjust the
wheels later through the hole in each end.. *Other wise the wheel assembly
would move and you wouldn't be able to adjust the wheels.
Also the wheels would gum up eventually and end up in the center of the door
frame away from the ends.
The assembly is fully up in the frame and the wheel adjustment is fully
retracted.
The door frame is probably a little out of square - we are in Southern CA
earthquake country.
But I got it out....and when the door is in the frame without the wheels I
can lift the door up a good 3/4"
problem is with the wheels that isn't enough.
Later
Terry

That makes no sense. Rollers don't stick out 3/4" when fully
retracted.

You should have PLENTY of room to to install the door. Like I said,
use a pry bar to lift the bottom of the door and the rollers onto the
guide.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
Oh, they also had a fixed plate or other anti-theft device that has to
be removed or adjusted in some fashion, too...

Actually, not that I think about it for a while, there weren't rollers
on the top but a slot that straddled the upper guide. It was the little
flat plate that went on that was the anti-break-in device that would
keep the door from being lifted out of the track when in place...

Fortunately, I've not had a set of the stinkin', drafty, leaky things in
long enough now I'd kinda' forgotten...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

One of the advantages of Crestline doors, if they're still built the
way mine was, is that no anti-theft device is required.

Instead of leaving room above the slider so the panel be lifted out,
there's an interior trim piece along the top of frame holding the door
in. If you remove the screws holding the trim in place, the slider
falls into the room.

There's virtually no gap between the top of the slider and the frame -
just enough for a little furry weather strippping, similiar to what
you find on vinyl replacement windows. Security and weatherproofing in
one smooth move. In addition, my door is all wood, so the trim piece
adds a nice feature. Form and function.

Fitting a 71' french door into a 74" sliding door opening Greg Kroll Home Repair 4 March 29th 08 01:17 AM
Sliding door for bathroom Ben UK diy 3 April 26th 07 05:19 PM
Sliding glass door (I need some help) AKA Gray Asphalt Home Repair 13 January 13th 07 11:31 PM
Sliding internal door? Scott UK diy 13 December 28th 06 10:48 PM
sliding door question AND Books Home Repair 4 July 12th 06 01:37 PM