DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   come-along (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/263106-come-along.html)

mm October 20th 08 11:11 PM

come-along

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

Hatunen October 20th 08 11:20 PM

come-along

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:11:45 -0400, mm
wrote:

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

I worked as a construction engineer and that's the only thing
I've ever heard it called. I'm sure there are brand names,
though, but still, construction workers are an earthy lot.

On the other hand I see at
http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/come-a-long.htm that they are
referenced as "come-a-longs" but are called "power pulls", a
misnomer it would seem to me, since they are hadn operated.

http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html calls them
"come along winches".

Pat Durkin October 20th 08 11:22 PM

come-along

"mm" wrote in message

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

A come-along is a hand operated ratchet lever winch. A winch is a
mechanical device used to wind a rope or cable, while a ratchet is a
mechanical brake that keeps the line from unwinding.
From : http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-come-along.htm

I have only heard of it as a come-along, but have seen them for sale as
"manual ratchet winches" with pictures, so I could understand they were
the item in question.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&btnG=Sea rch

DerbyDad03 October 20th 08 11:22 PM

come-along

On Oct 20, 5:11*pm, mm wrote:
Is there another word for a come-along? *That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

Maybe it's slang, but if you DAGS come-along, that's what everyone
calls it.

The only place I didn't see that term used was he

http://www.nextag.com/AMERICAN-POWER...95/prices-html

Even http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/come+along calls it a
come-along.

J. Clarke October 21st 08 12:17 AM

come-along

mm wrote:
Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

"Winch" however "winch" is more generic.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Jeff Wisnia October 21st 08 12:18 AM

come-along

mm wrote:

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

What a straight line!

Lim time.....

A bather whose clothing was strewed,
By breezes that left her quite nude.
Saw a man come along,
And, unless I am quite wrong,
You expected this line to be lewd.

and....

A blond airline stewardess, Faye,
Has achieved quite a record today.
She screwed without quittin'
From New York to Britain,
It's clear she has come a long way.

and...

Said Marie with a look of some pain,
"I've biked over quite rough terrain."
"Though I enjoyed every ounce,
Of each jiggle and bounce,
I won't come (along) this way again!"

***************

No less an authority than the ubiquitous Harbor Freight calls them this:

And also this:

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Barbara Bailey[_2_] October 21st 08 12:51 AM

come-along

mm wrote in
:

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

If you're talking about the winch-type thing that exerts steady, slow
pressure on a cable, strap, or chain in order to move an item or object
attached to the other end of the chain. strap, or cable, the other word is
"winch".

But you've been involved in this group long enough to know that context is
often very helpful.

Caesar Romano October 21st 08 01:03 AM

come-along

wrote Re come-along:

s there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

I just call them a "hand winch". IMO much more descriptive of what
they do, than "come-along" etc.

PanHandler[_2_] October 21st 08 01:18 AM

come-along

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Said Marie with a look of some pain,
"I've biked over quite rough terrain."
"Though I enjoyed every ounce,
Of each jiggle and bounce,
I won't come (along) this way again!"

Reminds me of this:

Two Dutch girls are riding their old rickety bikes down the back streets of
Amsterdam one late afternoon. As it turns closer towards dusk, the
increasing darkness of the streets starts making the two girls a little
nervous when one girl leans over to the other and says, "You know, I've
never come this way before."

The other girl nods and says, "It's the cobblestones."

DerbyDad03 October 21st 08 02:15 AM

come-along

On Oct 20, 5:11*pm, mm wrote:
Is there another word for a come-along? *That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

OK...

Now that we've got the name of the device figured out, how about a
long line of "Best Use Of A Come-Along" stories...

It was 1973 and I was stationed at the Coast Guard base on Governor's
Island, NY. While driving around Queens one night I came upon a
flooded section of road, lost control of my car and slid sideways into
a fire hydrant.

This 4-door Dodge was of the style that had a "half-post" between the
front and rear door. I hit the hydrant right at the post, bending it
in until it was pressing against the side of the driver's front seat.
The front and rear doors both popped open and obviously wouldn't
close. The rear door was sitting at this weird angle since it was
attached to the bent post.

I drove back to the base with the doors part-way open and roped in
place.

The next morning I went over to the maintenance shop for the bouy
tenders that were stationed at the base. I grabbed a come-along and
some chain and drove up next to a 10,000 lb bouy sinker. I hooked one
end the chain to the bouy sinker's loop and the other end to the post
in my car and started cranking on the come-along. The car started
leaning towards me without the post even moving, so I wedged some
large hunks of wood under the frame. This kept the car upright and
within a few minutes the post was upright and both doors open and
closed normally.

Other than the hole the hydrant punched in the rear door, you never
know I hit anything.

Steve Barker DLT October 21st 08 02:20 AM

come-along

I've also heard flatworkers call these come alongs....
http://tinyurl.com/5dvnsh

mm October 21st 08 02:58 AM

come-along

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:15:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 20, 5:11*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

I love your story. Congratualations.

It reminds me of the gypsy bodymen in NY, Brooklyn at least. Prices
are based on 20 years ago. The body shop would have charged me at
least 500 dollars to straighten the trunk lid and the part below that
so that the trunk would close and latch. All I had to do was park to
see my friend in Brooklyn, and a couple guys volunteered to do it and
paint it for 50, or maybe it was 75. And in about 10 minutes that
had it straightened out, closing, latching and locking as good as
could be. Any more improvement would have involved Bondo, which was
not part of our deal. I thought I would never forget the details, but
I guess they must have used a come-along attached to fire hydrant or
parking meter, or maybe it was attached to part of their truck or car,
because nothing else would have worked.

I naivey thought they would buy the duplicolor paint, but they just
got a can of similar paint, so I stopped them. I was very happy that
the trunk locked, rather than use a chain that left it open a foot!

I knew I didn't want to spend the money on an old car that I would
have been charged in Baltimore, and waited till I got to Brooklyn
where I figured such guys would find me, and they did, almost as soon
as I parked. This might have been a weekend, and conceivably the two
guys worked in a real body shop during the week. At least they seemed
good enough.

My own best story is today's, and the reason I wanted to know if there
was a more standard word was that I didn't want to be accused of
dropping big words my friends have no way of knowing, if there is a
more standard word that come-along. (After your answers, I don't
think there is, but I am now free to say winch, or hand winch (my own
composite term) if they really don't know what a come-along is.
(Come-along is much more clear and specific than winch, for people who
know the word.)

Anyhow, for the third time in 16 years, my convertile top has shrunk
and won't latch. It might have latchedon a 90 degree day, which we
had in September, but that would have meant not being able to put the
top down for the last month, many beautiful days.

So I've been putting it down most of the time for the last month, but
occasionally it's too cold for that to be comfortable, and I have to
have it 4 inches above the windshield with the cold air blowing in.
And it's going to rain more soon, which means the rain blowing in if I
drive then. And the colder it gets the harder it will be to latch,
probalby.

So today, as I did 16 and 15 falls ago, I went to a particular
shopping center parking lot, where they have three 6" posts, about 4
feet tall, that are there to keep cars from backing into the fire
hydrant, wrapped the cable around the post, and put the other hook on
the part of the of the top mechanism that is right behind the rear
side window, and cranked until I could latch one side. Then I moved
the car to the other side and did the other side.

The first time I did this 16 years ago, it took about 15 minutes each
side. I think I went on a Sunday when many stores are closed and few
police are around. The next time, 15 years ago, it took me 5 minutes
each time.

This time, I was slowed because I broke my arm 7 weeks ago, and it
hurts like hell to do certain things. But I went on a Monday at 3:45,
didn't rush at all, loads of people around, it took 15 minutes for
each side**, and nobody minded. **It took a little longer because
this car has an inner cloth roof, which is velcroed and plastic body
plugged (riveted?) to the metal piece behind the side window. And it
was probably 4 minutes on each side to pull out both plugs and remove
and later put the whole thing back. I left my arm brace on in case
a cop came by, I thought I could get more sympathy. It really was
harder to do things with the weak, painful, to let out extra cable, to
release the tension when I was done.

It looks like nothing can stretch. The vinyl top does't appear to be
stretching. I think maybe the whole car bent when I did this.
Because the only thing holding the front of a convertible to the back
is the floor, and whatever unibody and reinforcing there is in the
floor.

I know that once I had one of those cargo carriers behind the little
trailer hitch and I put 16 pieces of damp sod on the back and the car
bent so much I couldn't close the doors. Maybe if I'd closed the
doors first and climbed over the door to get in it would have worked,
but seemed prudent by then to put half of the sod in the back seat.

DerbyDad03 October 21st 08 05:18 AM

come-along

wrote:
On Oct 20, 5:11*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

but seemed prudent by then to put half of the sod in the back seat.- Hide quoted text -

While your story about fixing the convertible top is interesting, the
part about the damaged trunk doesn't count because you are not sure if
a come-along was used in the original repair.

Perhaps you could go back to Brooklyn, look around for one of those 55
gallon drums with the fires burning inside and ask some of the older
patrons if they ever did body work when they were younger and had more
teeth. I doubt you'd be able to tell by any paint stained hands 'cuz
duplicolor paint pretty much sucks and would have worn off not only
their hands, but your car also.

I know the area pretty well, so if you want, I could come-along.

SteveB October 21st 08 05:29 AM

come-along

wrote:

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

I worked as a construction engineer and that's the only thing
I've ever heard it called. I'm sure there are brand names,
though, but still, construction workers are an earthy lot.

On the other hand I see at
http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/come-a-long.htm that they are
referenced as "come-a-longs" but are called "power pulls", a
misnomer it would seem to me, since they are hadn operated.

http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html calls them
"come along winches".

I have seen devices known as chain hoists, but because of their chain having
to engage in mated channels, they were usually used in a vertical
application only. But we did use them in a horizontal application in the
oilfield in a pinch because they were stonger than come alongs. You just
had to have someone watch the chain feeding into the device, and to watch
their fingers, too.

Steve

mm October 21st 08 05:35 AM

come-along

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:29:40 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Two of the three come-alongs that Jeff points out are sold at Harbor
Freight, have in their ads, "For dead loads only; not for lifting." I
don't quite know why but that makes them the opposite of the chain
hoist you describe.

[email protected] October 21st 08 01:04 PM

come-along

On Oct 20, 4:11*pm, mm wrote:
Is there another word for a come-along? *That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

I remember hearing the term 'jack-off' machine when I worked in the
machine shop.

Lewis.

*****

Stormin Mormon October 21st 08 03:25 PM

come-along

Cable hoist, I've heard.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

RLM October 21st 08 06:24 PM

come-along

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 23:35:36 -0400, mm wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:29:40 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I believe what SteveB is talking about are some times called "come alongs"
but are higher rated and use chain. I have owned these two for over forty
years. They have been used and abused but use a brake mechicism to lock
the ratchet and can be lifted or lowered in fine incriments as used to
align bolt holes on heavy objects. Save loosing a finger. I don't care
what you want to call them. They work vertical or horizontal but as stated
"care" must be used horizontally.

http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=s7001393.jpg

Hatunen October 22nd 08 02:58 AM

come-along

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 00:51:04 +0200 (CEST), Barbara Bailey
wrote:

mm wrote in
:

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

If you're talking about the winch-type thing that exerts steady, slow
pressure on a cable, strap, or chain in order to move an item or object
attached to the other end of the chain. strap, or cable, the other word is
"winch".

As someone else pointed out, "winch" is a little too general; it
includes those electrically driven winches on the front of Land
Rovers, for instance. A pipefitter can't go to the tool checkout
and requisiton a "winch"; it doesn't tell the attendant what he
really wants. He will get just what he wants if he writes
"come-a-long" on the requistion form.

But you've been involved in this group long enough to know that context is
often very helpful.

The whole point of using the term "come-a-long" in the field is
to avoid long discussions of context. "A ratchet driven
non-rotating hand operated winch" is just too much. No one in the
field in an occupation using come-a-longs needs andy context to
understand the term.

Hatunen October 22nd 08 03:00 AM

come-along

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:25:44 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Cable hoist, I've heard.

Come-a-longs aren't always used in vertical hoisting operations.
A lot of them are simply used at some crazy angle to pull a pipe
into alignment for welding, for isntance. I've probably seen as
many come-a-longs used horizonatlly as vertically.

Tony Cooper October 22nd 08 04:52 AM

come-along

wrote:

Cable hoist, I've heard.

Come-a-longs aren't always used in vertical hoisting operations.
A lot of them are simply used at some crazy angle to pull a pipe
into alignment for welding, for isntance. I've probably seen as
many come-a-longs used horizonatlly as vertically.

I used one last summer. I helped a friend install a chain-link fence
in his yard. We used a come-along - horizontally - to pull the fence
tight at each post. Chain-link doesn't pull easily.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Peter Duncanson (BrE) October 22nd 08 12:46 PM

come-along

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:58:06 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

The whole point of using the term "come-a-long" in the field is
to avoid long discussions of context. "A ratchet driven
non-rotating hand operated winch" is just too much. No one in the
field in an occupation using come-a-longs needs andy context to
understand the term.

In British English this appears to be a "Hand Puller (Winch)":

http://www.autow.co.uk/winches/hand_...rices_137.html

http://www.ttclifting.co.uk/lifting/..._p-series.html

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)

Pat Durkin October 22nd 08 05:45 PM

come-along

wrote:

Cable hoist, I've heard.

Come-a-longs aren't always used in vertical hoisting operations.
A lot of them are simply used at some crazy angle to pull a pipe
into alignment for welding, for isntance. I've probably seen as
many come-a-longs used horizonatlly as vertically.

I used one last summer. I helped a friend install a chain-link fence
in his yard. We used a come-along - horizontally - to pull the fence
tight at each post. Chain-link doesn't pull easily.

http://www.nextag.com/wire-stretcher/search-html

Can't find the simple stretcher we used for barbed wire yet (had some
cousins, Bob and Barb Weier), but the images on the above site show
block and tackle, and really describe the come-along, too.

http://www.afence.com/BekaertBrochure.html The tightening tool
mentioned low down on this page gives "come-along" as an alternative
name.

Jeff Wisnia October 23rd 08 07:42 PM

come-along

wrote:

Cable hoist, I've heard.

Come-a-longs aren't always used in vertical hoisting operations.
A lot of them are simply used at some crazy angle to pull a pipe
into alignment for welding, for isntance. I've probably seen as
many come-a-longs used horizonatlly as vertically.

I used one last summer. I helped a friend install a chain-link fence
in his yard. We used a come-along - horizontally - to pull the fence
tight at each post. Chain-link doesn't pull easily.

I think the last time I used one of my collection of different types of
come alongs was a couple of years ago when the ledger board on our
home's deck became rotten to the core because the sods who built the
place about 18 years earler didn't bother spending a few extra bucks for
a piece of pressure treated lumber.

We put temporary props under the deck, disconnected the joists from the
ledger board and swapped in a new PT ledger board.

I used a come along to pull on the deck so the joists were held firmly
back in contact with the ledger while we fastened a new set of hanger
brackets in place.

A padded piece of 2x6 across the inside of a fortuitously located open
window provided a handy place to pull against.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/deck004.jpg

Scurrilous coments about using a car bumper jack to adjust the level of
the center part of the deck will be ignored. "Pretty is as pretty does."

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

mm October 24th 08 04:19 AM

come-along

wrote:

[...]

Fortuitous is the right word. If I'd been doing that, my luck is such
that the window would have been closed.

Is that you or a little Wisnia in the picture?

Scurrilous coments about using a car bumper jack to adjust the level of
the center part of the deck will be ignored. "Pretty is as pretty does."

Jeff

My last 3 cars haven't been able to use a bumper jack, but I still
saved the one from my Buick for who knows what I''ll need it for?

It is amazing how many uses a come-along has. Beside latching my
convertible top three years now, I've used it several times.

One was the classic example of straightening a fence post. My gate
was rubbing on the sidewalk, so I unnailed the rails and ran the
come-along cable from the post the gate hung on to the next post . I
crancke the handle, but the post wouldn't move. So I ran the garden
hose for 10 minutes and the post moved fine.

The posts were 4" round wood ones, and in answer to someone's comment,
that time, or when I ran the cable around something even smaller, I
sort of kinked the cable**, but so far it hasn't given me any problem.
Maybe I wrapped it up on the spool and let it sit for a year, don't
remember.

**The ones that use chains won't have that problem of course, but mine
was very cheap, under 20 dollars.

I left a little grey line on two of those posts, but you have to get
withing 6 feet to see it, and no one will ever notice. The paint is
pitted with brown spots, looking like little volcanos, all over the
yellow posts. I think 15 years ago the paint was a lot better.

HeyBub[_3_] October 24th 08 01:22 PM

come-along

mm wrote:

My last 3 cars haven't been able to use a bumper jack, but I still
saved the one from my Buick for who knows what I''ll need it for?

Heh! Don't use it on a bumper!

Modern bumpers are designed to come off. Or crumple. Or just die of shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClQPs5QcxQs

mm October 24th 08 07:24 PM

come-along

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 06:22:25 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

mm wrote:

My last 3 cars haven't been able to use a bumper jack, but I still
saved the one from my Buick for who knows what I''ll need it for?

Heh! Don't use it on a bumper!

Modern bumpers are designed to come off. Or crumple. Or just die of shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClQPs5QcxQs

And a Jeep, no less. Doubly humiliating.

I guess if they attached the chain to the axle, they might have ripped
off the axle. Probably have to attach it to both axles, or both ends
of both axles.

I got stuck in the sand once at Breezy Point, or whatever is west of
Riis Park on a barrier island at the end of Flatbush Avenue in
Brooklyn. Everything was fine until I slowed down. (from 20 or 25mph
to 10)

I looked around and saw 2 or 3 rusted hulks of cars, from when the
tide came in and covered the cars with salt-water. Or at least a foot
deep.

After I tried for a while, I saw a guy on the sand with a Jeep or
pickup and asked him to tow me out. He refused.

I tried more of the same. I tried rocking the car. No good. I let
air out of my rear tires, but it didn't help. This was before cell
phones. I thought of walking back to the last gas station. It was 2
or 3 miles and I didn't know if the tide was going out or coming in.
I had a girl with me at the time, and I'm sure she was impressed,
although that was the least of my worries.

30 or 45 minutes after I asked him, the guy came over and towed me to
a place where the sand was shallow and there was firm dirt under the
sand. I think he just wanted me to sweat a bit so I wouldn't do it
again. I think he said that. He wouldn't take money.

This was back when cars were cars. It was probably a '67 Pontiac
Catalina. convertible.

Jeff Wisnia October 26th 08 01:48 AM

come-along

wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

I remember the first time I visited Daytona Beach, maybe 40 years ago,
and just HAD to try driving my rental car down the beach.

Of course I got it stuck in the sand. And, along came a guy with a Jeep
and a tow line who got me free and off the beach for IIRC just $5.

The thing I never forgot about it was his tow line which was a giant
piece of elastic (bungee?) cord maybe 20 feet long unstretched. After
attaching it to my car he roared off ahead of me and that damn line
looked like it stretched three times its length before my car started
moving.

I never really understood what principle was involved in the use of an
elastic tow line, but I'd be happy to find out here.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

mm October 26th 08 03:39 AM

come-along

wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

I might have one of those. I'm not sure. I probably bought it 20
years ago and put it in the big tupperware box in my trunk. I rarely
open it, and I've forgotten what exactly is in there.

I do know that I have two melmac plates, and 2 forks, 2 spoons, and 2
knives. I've been carrying them for 30 years and only had one
occasion to use them. But it was worth it for that one time.

I have spare fuses, and a piece of non-electric wire. I used to have
a 12 volt floodlight, but I think I had to take it out to make more
room.

And I have a yellow band (like a tape, 2 inches wide) with big cast
hooks at each end, silver colored. I know it is meant for towing,
but i forget if it is elastic or not. I know I haven't had occasion
to do that in 20 years either, and might not have the nerve even if
there was a reason. I'd be afraid once the car behind me took off, it
would rear end me. I don't trust the other driver. Well, maybe I
will when I know who he is.

And I have a pair of sneakers on their last legs. I used to carry
cover-alls to but I lost them when my car was stolen. But I got new
sneakers. Once my car broke down between 5th and 6th on 47 or 49 st.
in NYC. I was wearing nice leather shoes and didn't want to scratch
them when I was lying under the car. (It was about 6:30 PM on a
weeknight, and very quiet on that block.) Then I didn't want to damage
my socks so I took them off too, and I walked around 47th St. for over
an hour, working on the car, going to a pay phone, waiting until a
friend brought me parts, and I didn't cut my feet at all, or ever get
them very dirty. But I still carry old shoes now.

And salt and pepper, whhich I use pretty often.

Hatunen October 26th 08 03:41 AM

come-along

wrote:

I remember the first time I visited Daytona Beach, maybe 40 years ago,
and just HAD to try driving my rental car down the beach.

Of course I got it stuck in the sand. And, along came a guy with a Jeep
and a tow line who got me free and off the beach for IIRC just $5.

The thing I never forgot about it was his tow line which was a giant
piece of elastic (bungee?) cord maybe 20 feet long unstretched. After
attaching it to my car he roared off ahead of me and that damn line
looked like it stretched three times its length before my car started
moving.

I never really understood what principle was involved in the use of an
elastic tow line, but I'd be happy to find out here.

A stretch as far as you describe seems a bit excessive, the
reason for using elastic gtwo ropes is to prevent either breakage
of the tow rope or ripping off your bumper or whatever due to a
sudden shock, for instance, when the towing car gets the rope
fully extended and it suddenly jerks on your car.

Jeff Wisnia October 26th 08 03:53 AM

come-along

wrote:

[...]

That akes sense now that I think about it...

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Don Young October 26th 08 04:50 AM

come-along

wrote:

[...]

Also, because of the inertia of the fast moving tow vehicle, the elastic tow
rope can exert a pull greater than the tow vehicle can exert from a
standstill. A non-elastic tow rope can do the same thing if the vehicles can
stand the shock but the elastic works much better.

Don Young

Tony Cooper October 26th 08 04:52 AM

come-along

wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

Have these items been in the same car for 20 years, or in a succession
of cars?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

HeyBub[_3_] October 26th 08 01:56 PM

come-along

mm wrote:

[...]

It's good to have an emergency kit in the car. Mine includes much of what
you listed, plus a first aid kit, jumper cables, tools (including hand-axe),
two MREs, smallish tarp, smallish thermal blanket, fire extinguisher, five
dollars in coins, cigarette lighter, pistol, short-barreled 16 gauge
shotgun, and about 200 rounds of ammunition.

I used to carry a spare, clean, dress shirt and condoms. But with age and
(now) no wife, they seem superfluous.

Glenn Knickerbocker October 26th 08 02:20 PM

come-along

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:39:32 -0400, mm wrote:
And I have a pair of sneakers on their last legs.

OK, I knew stealing sneakers had been all the rage in the past couple
decades, but I didn't know it had progressed to taking the owner's legs
along with them. Even so, I don't get why you would keep the legs, and
not put the sneakers onto your own.--unless you use them as stilts or
something.

¬R http://users.bestweb.net/~notr/zangelding.html "When there's
a nuclear attack, that's when buckets are used." --Tim Brown, IUSD

Pat Durkin October 26th 08 03:41 PM

come-along

"mm" wrote in message

And I have a pair of sneakers on their last legs.

Glenn has already wondered about the sneakers and whose legs they are
on. I wonder, in addition, how you will guarantee those are their last
legs. Will you direct your heirs to destroy them? How well do you
trust the administrator of your will?

I used to carry
cover-alls to but I lost them when my car was stolen. But I got new
sneakers. Once my car broke down between 5th and 6th on 47 or 49 st.
in NYC. I was wearing nice leather shoes and didn't want to scratch
them when I was lying under the car. (It was about 6:30 PM on a
weeknight, and very quiet on that block.) Then I didn't want to damage
my socks so I took them off too, and I walked around 47th St. for over
an hour, working on the car, going to a pay phone, waiting until a
friend brought me parts, and I didn't cut my feet at all, or ever get
them very dirty. But I still carry old shoes now.

And salt and pepper, whhich I use pretty often.

How does it work in an emergency? Do you creep up on a tow-truck and
shake the seasoning on the crane? I imagine you have a very refined
technique by this time.

mm October 27th 08 03:20 AM

come-along

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:52:42 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

them very dirty. But I still carry old shoes now.

And salt and pepper, whhich I use pretty often.

Have these items been in the same car for 20 years, or in a succession
of cars?

Three cars in the last 21 years, all Chysler LeBarons. All in the
same blue Rubbermaid** container, about 13" by 18" by 6" high. I
think once or twice the trunk got wet, so I switched to the plastic
box. or maybe it was that the car's trunk is so small compared to my
Catalinas and my Centurion, that I needed to put it all in one box, so
I could take it all out easily when I needed more space. I can't
remember which.

**I said Tupperware before. I meant Rubbermaid.

mm October 27th 08 03:20 AM

come-along

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:20:09 -0400, Glenn Knickerbocker
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:39:32 -0400, mm wrote:
And I have a pair of sneakers on their last legs.

OK, I knew stealing sneakers had been all the rage in the past couple
decades, but I didn't know it had progressed to taking the owner's legs
along with them. Even so, I don't get why you would keep the legs, and
not put the sneakers onto your own.--unless you use them as stilts or
something.

I've found it's better to get others to do my work for me. Let them
run around. I'm going to be an executive when I grow up.

mm October 27th 08 05:51 AM

come-along

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:41:56 -0500, "Pat Durkin"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

And I have a pair of sneakers on their last legs.

Glenn has already wondered about the sneakers and whose legs they are
on. I wonder, in addition, how you will guarantee those are their last
legs. Will you direct your heirs to destroy them? How well do you
trust the administrator of your will?

He's not chosen yet. Sure my brother is listed as executor, in a will
I haven't updated since 1973 (because, sadly, so little has changed
that it's still correct on the big ticket items. My mother has died,
but I allowed for that in the original will.) But he lives thousands
of miles away, and didn't even show interest in my mother's estate,
left it all up to me, so he would transfer the money correctly, if I'm
lucky enough to still have some (or unlucky enough to die early), but
getting him to do anything with my "stuff" will be impossible.

So I have to pick out some person locally to dispose of my stuff to
people who can use it. My ex-girlfriend is very compatible with me on
stuff like this, and would do a good job, but she's short of time and
money, and she's only an ex, so I have to figure out a salary or
formula that's generous enough that she'll actually want to do this,
even though she has a full time job. OTOH, she's only 15 years
younger than I, and if I live long enough, she may be an old lady by
the time I die. (That's stretching it. I'll likely not live past 90,
adn she'll only be 75, and probably very healthy and active. She
still weighs what she did in junior high school, and her mother and
aunt are still slim too, and very active.

But if she's still working, say she's 64 and I'm 79, she really won't
have enough time, so I'm trying to find a category of person, like a
mother from a thrifty family who needs a part-time job, that my friend
can hire to do the work. I guess I would give her the authority to
pick that person's salary. (My brother will trust her if say she's
ok.)

i havent done it yet, but i intend to compile a list of friends who
get first crack at my stuff/

And then I'm going to leave instructions on what sort of person to
hire to advertise my antique radios and other things people might
want, and to have yard sales for the junk, and what to give away free
because only someone like me or the people on ahr would want it,
because I don't want anything going to the dump if I can avoid it.

I mean, if I saw my stuff, I would want almost all of it**, so someone
else must want it too.

**I got to get rid of the broken tvs to make room for all the tv's
that will be in the trash next February. If I hadn't broken my arm,
I'd be further along on this.

I used to carry
cover-alls too...

And salt and pepper, whhich I use pretty often.

How does it work in an emergency? Do you creep up on a tow-truck and
shake the seasoning on the crane? I imagine you have a very refined
technique by this time.

Mostly, where I park, I'm often attacked by snails and slugs, and I
sneak up on them and salt them, and they shrivel up. And
occasionally I put it on emergency food.

Pat Durkin October 27th 08 03:25 PM

come-along

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like you really pick 'em.
Get on this now!

But if she's still working, say she's 64 and I'm 79, she really won't
have enough time, so I'm trying to find a category of person, like a
mother from a thrifty family who needs a part-time job, that my friend
can hire to do the work. I guess I would give her the authority to
pick that person's salary. (My brother will trust her if say she's
ok.)

Yeah? But how much younger than you is Brother? Is he likely to be
around in a time of need? Get on this now!

i havent done it yet, but i intend to compile a list of friends who
get first crack at my stuff/

And then I'm going to leave instructions on what sort of person to
hire to advertise my antique radios and other things people might
want, and to have yard sales for the junk, and what to give away free
because only someone like me or the people on ahr would want it,
because I don't want anything going to the dump if I can avoid it.

I mean, if I saw my stuff, I would want almost all of it**, so someone
else must want it too.

Donate it online now to freecycle and meet wonderful new people.

Get on this now!

**I got to get rid of the broken tvs to make room for all the tv's
that will be in the trash next February. If I hadn't broken my arm,
I'd be further along on this.

Oh, yeah! You gotta get on this. (Before the Reaper gives you the
come-along treatment!)