Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best flashing for the roof

Hi,

Here's the roof that I will replace to put skylights in:

http://freeboundaries.com/hole.jpg

I'm getting varying opionions on the best way to flash it at the stone
wall (that you can actually barely see in the picture).

Some say that reblet with a copper flashing is the best. Others say
that water can get in there, freeze and pop it out and that copper
will turn green and eventually streak the shingles. Others say it's
the best way to go.

What's your opinion?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Oct 20, 12:15*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Here's the roof that I will replace to put skylights in:

http://freeboundaries.com/hole.jpg

I'm getting varying opionions on the best way to flash it at the stone
wall (that you can actually barely see in the picture).

Some say that reblet with a copper flashing is the best. Others say
that water can get in there, freeze and pop it out and that copper
will turn green and eventually streak the shingles. Others say it's
the best way to go.

What's your opinion?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

What's the pitch of that roof? Skylights don't perform well on a pitch
less than 4 in 12, and they'll leak. Copper's verdigris won't stain
the shingles, but in order to handle all the convolutions of that
stone, your counterflashing should probably be lead. Might as well use
lead for the flashing, too. What type of skylight are you planning to
install, curb mounted/flashed properly or "self-flashing"? Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

that looks more like a wall than a roof.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

Here's the roof that I will replace to put skylights in:

http://freeboundaries.com/hole.jpg

I'm getting varying opionions on the best way to flash it at the stone
wall (that you can actually barely see in the picture).

Some say that reblet with a copper flashing is the best. Others say
that water can get in there, freeze and pop it out and that copper
will turn green and eventually streak the shingles. Others say it's
the best way to go.

What's your opinion?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Why caulk a roof flashing? Aaron Fude Home Repair 8 June 8th 08 12:08 AM
Flashing Siding To Roof Bgreer5050 Home Repair 4 June 16th 07 08:53 PM
Roof Flashing Rob Bashford UK diy 3 August 1st 06 10:20 AM
roof flashing bill Home Repair 6 October 24th 05 12:29 AM
Roof flashing problems spoon2001 Home Repair 7 October 5th 05 12:01 AM