Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Squirrel Birth Cycle

I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living
room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I
propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as
they emerge. The opening will then be sealed.
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for
obvious reasons
Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd
appreciate hearing.
Info much appreciated.
Thanks!
Frank
P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but
most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can
be expensive!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message
I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living
room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I
propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as
they emerge. The opening will then be sealed.
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for
obvious reasons
Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd
appreciate hearing.
Info much appreciated.
Thanks!
Frank
P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but
most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can
be expensive!

Saw an interesting segment on D.I.Y. network. Lady had similar problem with
somekind of varmint under deck. Buried hardware cloth all around perimeter
and then left one opening for animals to get out. Over that opening, made a
box out of the hardware cloth with a one-way swinging door on the outside.
Varmint could exit but then couldn't get back in. Rather than the
Hav-A-Hart trap, I would just fashion something like that. Probably could
find info on their website. Pretty simple, basically the same thing we used
to make to trap pigeons when I was a kid. But on second thought...squirrels
are pretty smart...might require the Hav-A-Hart and a frying pan (clean
squirrel, dip in corn meal/flour mix, and fry 'til done) to keep those
critters out.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living
room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I
propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as
they emerge. The opening will then be sealed.
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for
obvious reasons
Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd
appreciate hearing.
Info much appreciated.
Thanks!
Frank
P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but
most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can
be expensive!

Careful. Squirrels are game animals and states have "seasons" in which it is
permitted to take them. Seasons vary, but are generally centered around
February.

On the other hand, if you think "cat"....

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living
room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I
propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as
they emerge. The opening will then be sealed.
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for
obvious reasons
Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd
appreciate hearing.
Info much appreciated.
Thanks!
Frank
P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but
most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can
be expensive!

Are you certain that they are squirrel and not roof rats?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 9:42*am, frank1492 wrote:
I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living
room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I
propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as
they emerge. The opening will then be sealed.
* * My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for
obvious reasons
* * Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd
appreciate hearing.
* * Info much appreciated.
* * Thanks!
* * * * Frank
* * P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but
most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can
be expensive!

Once their urine and crap stars soaking into your insulation rendering
it smelly and ineffective you wont want to "have a heart". Given the
choice of urinating and living squirrils vs dead and rotting corpses
of squirrels, I'd take the dead and rotting corpses because at least I
know that stink will end some day or I can retrieve the bodies. You
may have to fumigate and hope they leave or die.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:42:47 -0400, frank1492 wrote:

I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living room
ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I propose
to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as they
emerge. The opening will then be sealed.
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for obvious
reasons

From the Wikkipedia gray squirrel article:

"Gray squirrels are mammals, and hence have live babies. They breed
twice a year, the first litter being born in February or March, the second
in August or September. There are normally three or four babies in each
litter."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Gray_Squirrel

With your Giganews / Verizon headers, it is hard to guess your location.
But you may have young ones that are just getting out and about on their
own.

I really like and enjoy watching squirrels, as long as they stay out of
the attic. But the way they chew wiring, I'd be getting them out of my
attic too.

That said, I'd guess that putting them out with no nest at this time of
year is a death sentence. It might be more humane to kill them as you
catch them. Plus, that way you won't have squirrels running around that
have fond memories of your warm and dry attic.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

What worked for me was to poke my head into that space now and then (as
often as is required) and say "Hello!" The squirrels said "There goes
the neighborhood!" and moved away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living
room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I
propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as
they emerge. The opening will then be sealed.
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for
obvious reasons
Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd
appreciate hearing.
Info much appreciated.
Thanks!
Frank
P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but
most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can
be expensive!

A little Squirrel head impaled on a little pike outside
the entrance to their den should scare them off. A sort
of "scare squirrel".

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message

I am proposing to rout some squirrels . . .
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for

You must repost saying where you live. At this latitude
squirrels breed in later winter and may breed a second
time in summer, but by October all are weaned and
there are no baby squiirrels.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you all for your advice, comments and cautions. I have enough
ideas now and will mull over them. At present, it looks like either
the trap door or the Have-a-Heart. I do not wish to cause suffering
for any animal, but I am afraid the pitfalls of continuing to allow
him access to my ceiling space will dominate my thinking.

wrote:

I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living
room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I
propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as
they emerge. The opening will then be sealed.
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for
obvious reasons
Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd
appreciate hearing.
Info much appreciated.
Thanks!
Frank
P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but
most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can
be expensive!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I live in Massachusetts. I won't be able to start a serious
rout until after November 1.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:16:55 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:
after
"frank1492" wrote in message
.. .

I am proposing to rout some squirrels . . .
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for

You must repost saying where you live. At this latitude
squirrels breed in later winter and may breed a second
time in summer, but by October all are weaned and
there are no baby squiirrels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message
I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living
room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I
propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as
they emerge. The opening will then be sealed.
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for
obvious reasons
Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd
appreciate hearing.
Info much appreciated.
Thanks!
Frank
P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but
most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can
be expensive!

I cut back the tree that allowed them access to the roof, and the problem went
away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have deliberately not done that yet, though there is an arbor vitae
that leans against the house and I have seen them using it. I was
concerned that they couldn't get down if inside, so wanted to make
sure there was a trap in place as they left, and no means to get
back in.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:20:39 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"frank1492" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 10:36�pm, frank1492 wrote:
I have deliberately not done that yet, though there is an arbor vitae
that leans against the house and I have seen them using it. I was
concerned that they couldn't get down if inside, so wanted to make
sure there was a trap in place as they left, and no means to get
back in.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:20:39 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"frank1492" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

away.- Hide quoted text -

if you evicting them and have a tree nearby put up a squirrel house,
so they have somewhere to move.

its wrong to kill any animal unnecessaril;y

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think squirrels in the house is a good reason for killing them.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I cut back the tree that allowed them access to the roof, and the problem
went
away.- Hide quoted text -

if you evicting them and have a tree nearby put up a squirrel house,
so they have somewhere to move.

its wrong to kill any animal unnecessaril;y

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living
room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I
propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as
they emerge. The opening will then be sealed.
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for
obvious reasons
Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd
appreciate hearing.
Info much appreciated.
Thanks!
Frank
P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but
most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can
be expensive!

Cover the opening with heavy hardware cloth and purchase some DCon.
Squirrels can do a lot of damage, plus they breed so quickly some
folks call them "tree rats.".
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:

I am proposing to rout some squirrels from the space over my living
room ceiling before winter sets in. The point of entry is known and I
propose to set a Have-a-Heart in front of the opening to trap them as
they emerge. The opening will then be sealed.
My question is this: Is there any danger of trapping babies at
this season? I want to avoid trapping *anything* at all cost for
obvious reasons
Also, if anyone has alternate methods for trapping or killing, I'd
appreciate hearing.
Info much appreciated.
Thanks!
Frank
P.S. I do realize that calling an exterminator is an option but
most people I know haven't had good luck with them and they can
be expensive!

My son solved the problem several years ago by sitting in the attic with
a '22. Bird shot or '22 shorts take care of squirrels and rats quickly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My son solved the problem several years ago by sitting in the
attic with a '22. Bird shot or '22 shorts take care of squirrels
and rats quickly.

What about those BB guns sold in department stores? Can you get one
that is decently accurate for under a hundred dollars? I see them with
scopes and all...

Birth Pool Upstairs?? oblong UK diy 195 November 10th 08 10:48 AM
The Birth Of Thriller Cover chapter 3 --Shoot Day HiBob Home Repair 0 May 27th 08 08:55 AM
The Birth Of Thriller Cover chapter 1--The First Meeting HiBob Home Repair 0 May 27th 08 08:53 AM
Biscuit jointers seperated at birth?? d-i-Why?! UK diy 4 March 4th 07 03:18 AM
Birth Stool TmnJack Woodworking 11 January 14th 06 12:03 PM