Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making a rounded-edge arch

Just finished a remodeling job where I took out an existing closet
doorway and made a large opening with an arched top. Straight sides with
a circular arc on top. I used "bullnose" corner bead to make a rounded
edge all the way around.

The sides were easy: I used the metal/paper bead, which has two pieces
of paper (same as drywall tape) bonded to a thin galvanized curve. I
first tried to use this material for the arch, cutting segments into the
bullnose with tinsnips and then bending the bead to the arch. I *almost*
managed to make this work, until I noticed I'd nailed it up wrong so
that there was no way to hide the nails in the final result. So I ended
up tearing it out and replacing it with the flexible plastic stuff.

Using that stuff was a challenge, too: while it went up nicely, when I
applied a coat of mud over it, it left telltale "railroad tracks" where
the slices were, which looked pretty near impossible to get rid of. So I
ended up mudding the bead and laying a couple of layers of tape over it,
which I first soaked to make more flexible. This ended up working OK,
though I had to work over the tape pretty well to get out the wrinkles,
then cover it with another layer of mud to cover the wrinkles I couldn't
get rid of.

There's got to be an easier way. Anyone know how to make such a
rounded-edge arch?

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

The old way, with a wood bead? Get some trim with proper profile and a
flat wing for the inside the arch part, steam it, and nail in place to
arch framing. Rock up to it, and mud it in flush. TOH showed an old-time
plasterer doing a rounded edge inside a dormer, actually pulling plaster
to get a finish contour.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2008 7:40 PM aemeijers spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

While that might be a more traditional and "proper" way of doing, it, it
certainly doesn't sound easy. If I were a professional plasterer, I
would certainly try it that way.

Just steaming the trim would require a lot of fabrication on my part, or
getting equipment I don't have and don't even know where to get.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

-snip-

Just steaming the trim would require a lot of fabrication on my part, or
getting equipment I don't have and don't even know where to get.

While I think I'd go with the way you just did it, making a steamer
for trim only need involve a length of PVC, a cap, a teakettle, and a
hotplate.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Sure..Use the plastic stuff and staple it on with a staplegun.Mud the first
coat as normal.After dry sand the bead. Coat the railroad tracks as you call
them by going the opposite way to fill them in.You may need a Corner pro
curved rubber knife to do the arch part if it is tight curve..Do this
several times sanding between coats.After they are filled in coat the entire
archway a couple more times as normal , sanding between coats. PITA I know
but that's bullnose...LOL...I HATE IT..LOL....Good Luck...

PS
Easysand 45 or 90 Setting Type Joint compoundworks good for mutiple coats in
one day.....