Posted to alt.home.repair

Default spray paint report...

just in case anyone wants to use this product... I bought a couple cans
of Rust-Oleum Hammered Metal finish black spray paint (see "oops I did
it again) for an old filing cabinet. I was expecting something like the
finish on an old socket set box; kind of a two-color glassy patterned
finish. Or something like the old "Hammerite" paint but in a spray can.
Well this paint produces an interesting effect, but it is completely
different, more like a regular fisheye pattern. In fact I suspect that
that is how they achieved it because the first coat did show through to
primer in the "low spots." You really need two coats to cover correctly
(and in my case doubly so, as I was using red primer not black, as I
wasn't originally planning on priming the project that I'm spraying and
red was what I had on hand.)

It looks OK, and I don't care enough to strip and start over, but had I
known that this is what I was getting I might have just skipped it and
gone with regular appliance epoxy, as this really wasn't the look I was
going for.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

I used the bronze hammertone on a wine rack I welded up and it worked
well there. For regular stuff I use the "high performance" enamel which
does a nice job, especially on items small enough to bake in the oven at
170 for a few hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

I repainted an ancient range hood with Rustoleum primer and enamel,
using a small Preval sprayer. The old paint was a little gummy and bare
metal showed through ... looks like new now. I used just a little
mineral spirits for the Preval sprayer, as it was such a small job and
didn't want to buy the special product for thinning (the alkyd version
of Penetrol). The trick to not getting any drips or runs is to keep a
foam brush handy, wrung out with mineral spirits, so's to catch them
before they begin to set. The Preval sprayer has a small spray pattern,
and might be tricky for a file cabinet, but they are pretty slick. I
used them also for some louvered closet doors, and they were perfect for
that job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 7:13*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
just in case anyone wants to use this product... *I bought a couple cans
of Rust-Oleum Hammered Metal finish black spray paint (see "oops I did
it again)

had I
known that this is what I was getting I might have just skipped it and
gone with regular appliance epoxy, as this really wasn't the look I was
going for.

By the time you're finished you might end up with a filing cabinet
that looks like it's worth $10...
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

gpsman wrote:
On Oct 19, 7:13 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
just in case anyone wants to use this product... I bought a couple cans
of Rust-Oleum Hammered Metal finish black spray paint (see "oops I did
it again)

had I
known that this is what I was getting I might have just skipped it and
gone with regular appliance epoxy, as this really wasn't the look I was
going for.

By the time you're finished you might end up with a filing cabinet
that looks like it's worth $10...
-----

- gpsman

Back in the killfile with you, douchebag.

It's amazing that you haven't died yet from all the bile and stupidity
that's backed up in you.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I used the silver hammered Rust-Oleum years ago on a computer case. I
was pleased with the results, I think it would a fine option if your
surface has minor imperfections that you want to mask. It also proved to
be very durable, I never was able to scratch any paint off. I don't
remember the paint spraying any chunks, rather the texture formed after
spraying using some kind of chemical reaction.

Greg M