Posted to alt.home.repair

Default oops, I did it again...

....that is, I started an "easy" project and it ended up being way more
work than I anticipated.

Picked up a 1950's vintage (I'm guessing, from the style of the drawer
pulls and the gauge of the metal) Steelcase filing cabinet off
Craigslist for $10. I figured I'd rather "restore" an old one than pay
big bucks for a new one that wouldn't fall apart after one move (like
the one sitting under the stairs right now, eagerly awating my finishing
of this "new" one so I can send it on its way to its final reward.)

Well, I picked it up and it turns out that it'd been painted twice
before by previous owners, both times with a PAINTBRUSH. Oh well, I
figured, I'd just sand it down with some 80 grit, finish with some 120
then 240 and spray it. No such luck! the old paint is completely
resistant to my efforts, although I do not have a D/A or air compressor
which might be appropriate. I got two drawers done by stripping them
with your typical methylene chloride based paint stripper and then
scraping, steel wool, wet sand, prime, paint. Ugh. I wasn't planning
on doing this thorough a job on it, nor was I planning on using all my
primer on the filing cabinet.

Anyone see an easier way, short of continuing on as I am, and/or buying
an air compressor and a D/A? I'm guessing "no" but I figured I'd ask.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 19, 4:54*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

snip

A sand blaster (commercial type ) could have the paint off in a few
minutes but might wrinkle any light gage sheet metal, so having it
done by those people could be risky, or maybe not. Some operators have
a light touch, so it would pay to ask. Chemical stripping is sometimes
available at shops that do furniture, or for something strictly metal
(disassembled) a plating shop could be a possibility. Auto body shops
might have some good ideas, since they often get odd projects like
color matching appliances for folks doing remodels who aren't into the
current stainless steel fad. Bottom line, you probably have a ten page
Honeydo list, so outsourcing will save your sanity. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

...that is, I started an "easy" project and it ended up being way more
work than I anticipated.

Sounds familiar. I started the day replacing a toilet fill valve, a
simple 10 minute project. Things went fine until reassembly when I went
to align the supply tube with the fill valve and the slight flexing
pressure broke the corroded outlet port off of the supply valve. I
figured no big deal since the supply valve didn't shutoff anyway and I
had to use the main shutoff. Out to Depot for a new valve. I get back,
grab my plumbing kit and start prepping to solder the new valve on.
After cleaning and fluxing the cutoff stub from the wall and the new
valve I go to assemble them for soldering, only to find they don't fit.
Seems the pipe from the wall is oversized (type K?). Back out to Depot
to see if I can find something suitable, which of course is hopeless. I
ended up getting a 1/2" FIP valve and then taking a standard 1/2" sweat
to 1/2" MIP fitting out to the shop and boring it out to fit the
oversized pipe. I soldered the modified fitting on, cooled it, put a
healthy amount of teflon tape on and assembled the valve. Amazingly
enough when I turned on the water nothing leaked. 10 minute project
turned 2 hour project *sigh*.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
...that is, I started an "easy" project and it ended up being way more
work than I anticipated.

Picked up a 1950's vintage (I'm guessing, from the style of the drawer
pulls and the gauge of the metal) Steelcase filing cabinet

snip
Anyone see an easier way, short of continuing on as I am, and/or buying
an air compressor and a D/A? I'm guessing "no" but I figured I'd ask.

nate

You're on your way to having a really nice cabinet, nate. With a nice,
sprayed on primer, wet sanding and a spray finish it will look like new.

OOPs philander odell Woodworking 1 June 4th 07 06:07 AM
OOPS #2,741 charlie b Woodworking 12 February 26th 06 06:39 PM
oops [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 3rd 05 03:58 PM
Oops Warren Weber Home Repair 0 March 30th 05 08:59 PM
oops Badger UK diy 17 May 20th 04 10:58 AM