Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where Tiles Meet a Stair Riser

Laying out some tile. Carpet will be replaced after the tile.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=244s70h&s=4

Is the carpet typically fastened to the riser (glue or tack strip?) then
tucked behind the tile edge. Or does the carpet sit on top of the tile then
maybe some kind of molding at the junction?

Tucking behind the tile would seem to be better looking to me but maybe
because there's not much depth to tuck it tends to fray or something.

Tile is 3/8" thick, riser is wood, tile base is slab.

I'm asking because I need to know whether to butt the tile againtst the
riser or leave an amount of space for tucking. If so, how much space?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Laying out some tile. Carpet will be replaced after the tile.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=244s70h&s=4

Is the carpet typically fastened to the riser (glue or tack strip?) then
tucked behind the tile edge. Or does the carpet sit on top of the tile then
maybe some kind of molding at the junction?

Tucking behind the tile would seem to be better looking to me but maybe
because there's not much depth to tuck it tends to fray or something.

Tile is 3/8" thick, riser is wood, tile base is slab.

I'm asking because I need to know whether to butt the tile againtst the
riser or leave an amount of space for tucking. If so, how much space?

Thanks.

I'd tile or wood-surface the steps, and start the carpet past that.
Maybe even tile that strange little room, all the way up to what looks
like a kitchen door there. A little island of carpet in a sea of fresh
tile will look strange, IMHO. I'm not a fan of w/w carpet in the first
place, so YMMV.
But to answer your question- I'd butt the tile to the riser, or stuff
will keep getting trapped in there, and the last course will be subject
to breaking loose from sideways stress like running kids. Tile wants to
have walls or a solid border around it. Sorta like tiling a square in
the middle of your garage floor wouldn't stay in place too long.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Laying out some tile. Carpet will be replaced after the tile.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=244s70h&s=4

Is the carpet typically fastened to the riser (glue or tack strip?)
then tucked behind the tile edge. Or does the carpet sit on top of
the tile then maybe some kind of molding at the junction?

Tucking behind the tile would seem to be better looking to me but
maybe because there's not much depth to tuck it tends to fray or
something.

Tile is 3/8" thick, riser is wood, tile base is slab.

I'm asking because I need to know whether to butt the tile againtst
the riser or leave an amount of space for tucking. If so, how much
space?

Butt the tile up against the riser, but leave a little space, then
caulk it. The space you're leaving between the tiles should be fine.
The carpet installers will make the carpet look good against the tile.

If you leave just the right amount of space for the carpet to fit, it
will work fine until you install new carpet, which will invariably be
different. Also, leaving a big space just makes a place for dirt to
collect.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement