DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sodium light fixture (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/263009-sodium-light-fixture.html)

ransley October 19th 08 02:49 PM

Sodium light fixture

I have an exterior light fixture, possibly low pressure sodium
standard screw base 30w bulb, someone put in 100w standard incandesant
bulbs years ago and it works fine. I wondered what would happen if I
put in a cfl, would I blow the cfl circuitry.

dpb October 19th 08 04:31 PM

Sodium light fixture

ransley wrote:
I have an exterior light fixture, possibly low pressure sodium
standard screw base 30w bulb, someone put in 100w standard incandesant
bulbs years ago and it works fine. I wondered what would happen if I
put in a cfl, would I blow the cfl circuitry.

Not aware there is a standard base low-pressure Na -- there are some
hi-pressure I believe.

If an incandescent bulb fits the socket, there's no electrical problem
other than whether the cfl is outdoor rated -- think there's a
temperature issue w/ most (if not all, still -- I've not paid much
attention to them so far so what they've done on that score I'm not sure
at all).

Don Klipstein October 20th 08 04:20 AM

Sodium light fixture

In ,
ransley wrote:

I have an exterior light fixture, possibly low pressure sodium
standard screw base 30w bulb, someone put in 100w standard incandesant
bulbs years ago and it works fine. I wondered what would happen if I
put in a cfl, would I blow the cfl circuitry.

The voltage across the CFL's base, after voltage drop of the ballast,
may cause the pulse starter for a usual HPS fixture to actuate. The
pulses are something like 3-3.5 possibly 4 kilovolts.

Although the CFL's impedance will probably be enough to load those
pulses down to pretty much nothing, I would not count on it. I would not
want to explain this to my homeowner insurance company if a fire resulted.

- Don Klipstein )

ransley October 20th 08 01:06 PM

Sodium light fixture

On Oct 19, 10:20*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In ,

ransley wrote:
I have an exterior light fixture, possibly low pressure sodium
standard screw base 30w bulb, someone put in 100w standard incandesant
bulbs years ago and it works fine. I wondered what would happen if I
put in a cfl, would I blow the cfl circuitry.

* The voltage across the CFL's base, after voltage drop of the ballast,
may cause the pulse starter for a usual HPS fixture to actuate. *The
pulses are something like 3-3.5 possibly 4 kilovolts.

* Although the CFL's impedance will probably be enough to load those
pulses down to pretty much nothing, I would not count on it. *I would not
want to explain this to my homeowner insurance company if a fire resulted..

*- Don Klipstein )

Yesterday I just bypassed the ballast, I figure why risk ruining new
cfl floods, fire never occured to me but since its an apt Im happy I
didnt try.