Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hydrant Flushing a Plumbing Problems

The town (in Massachusetts) recently flushed the hydrants in my
neighborhood .
Now, the cold water in the washing machien runs too slowly (there's no
filter that I can find), the water to one of the toilets never stops
flowing, the aerators on some of the sinks need to be cleaned out etc.
Is there any way to prevent this in the future? Any way to clean the
valve on the toilet without replacing it? etc.? Is the town
responsible for the repairs?
To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 10:35*am, George wrote:
The town (in Massachusetts) recently flushed the hydrants in my
neighborhood .
Now, the cold water in the washing machien runs too slowly (there's no
filter that I can find), the water to one of the toilets never stops
flowing, the aerators on some of the sinks need to be cleaned out etc.
Is there any way to prevent this in the future? Any way to clean the
valve on the toilet without replacing it? etc.? Is the town
responsible for the repairs?
To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Put in a filter on the line for all inside plumbing, a cheap sediment
filter will do, no the city is not responsible, but in a small town
they might help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 12:11�pm, "Don & Lucille" wrote:
filter the main water line? You'd never styop replacing the cartridges!!"ransley" wrote in message

On Oct 18, 10:35 am, George wrote:

The town (in Massachusetts) recently flushed the hydrants in my
neighborhood .
Now, the cold water in the washing machien runs too slowly (there's no
filter that I can find), the water to one of the toilets never stops
flowing, the aerators on some of the sinks need to be cleaned out etc.
Is there any way to prevent this in the future? Any way to clean the
valve on the toilet without replacing it? etc.? Is the town
responsible for the repairs?
To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Put in a filter on the line for all inside plumbing, a cheap sediment
filter will do, no the city is not responsible, but in a small town
they might help.

washer filter in inlet hose likely right at valve

dont use water during hydrant flushing

replace toilet flush valve if its a current plastic one.

the old brass ones can be disassembled and cleaned, replace washers at
that time
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 11:11*am, "Don & Lucille" wrote:
filter the main water line? You'd never styop replacing the cartridges!!"ransley" wrote in message

On Oct 18, 10:35 am, George wrote:

The town (in Massachusetts) recently flushed the hydrants in my
neighborhood .
Now, the cold water in the washing machien runs too slowly (there's no
filter that I can find), the water to one of the toilets never stops
flowing, the aerators on some of the sinks need to be cleaned out etc.
Is there any way to prevent this in the future? Any way to clean the
valve on the toilet without replacing it? etc.? Is the town
responsible for the repairs?
To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Put in a filter on the line for all inside plumbing, a cheap sediment
filter will do, no the city is not responsible, but in a small town
they might help.

Not for the outside hoses, I use a carbon filter for in house water,
not garden hoses, it lasts 1 year, a sediment filter 3-6 diameter for
20$ might last 5-10 years, you are only filtering rocks and sand and
fish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 12:22�pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

fish.- Hide quoted text -

it depends on how dirty the incoming water is. with a brand new
flushing program the most sediment will be freed the very first time.
after that it will be far less.

if you know the schedule turn your main water valve off that day
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wahsing Machine:

Remove the fill hose at the water valve at the back of your washing
machine. You'll see screens inside the valve. Pull them out with a
small pick and rinse off the crud.

Toilet:

Replace the fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400--about $7 at Home Depot.
In the future, the only service they need is a seal replacment that's
located right at the top of the valve. Cost $1.49.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick-Meister wrote:
Wahsing Machine:

Remove the fill hose at the water valve at the back of your washing
machine. You'll see screens inside the valve. Pull them out with a
small pick and rinse off the crud.

Toilet:

Replace the fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400--about $7 at Home Depot.
In the future, the only service they need is a seal replacment that's
located right at the top of the valve. Cost $1.49.

MAYBE OBAMMY CAN GIVE HIM SOME MONEY TO DO THAT WITH.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 13:25:53 -0500, Rick-Meister
wrote:

Wahsing Machine:

Remove the fill hose at the water valve at the back of your washing
machine. You'll see screens inside the valve. Pull them out with a
small pick and rinse off the crud.

Toilet:

Replace the fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400--about $7 at Home Depot.
In the future, the only service they need is a seal replacment that's
located right at the top of the valve. Cost $1.49.

I have rinsed the crud from the screens and the problem has not
improved much.
Is there a way that I can clean out the mixing valve without having to
take apart the machine. (I'll take apart the machine if nec., but I'd
rather not do that right away.)
To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you've cleaned the screens and you're getting good flow from the
hose, then you'll have to replace the solenoid valves on the washing
machine. They've become filled with gookus.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"George" wrote in message
The town (in Massachusetts) recently flushed the hydrants in my
neighborhood .
Now, the cold water in the washing machien runs too slowly
(there's no
filter that I can find), the water to one of the toilets never
stops
flowing, the aerators on some of the sinks need to be cleaned out
etc.
Is there any way to prevent this in the future? Any way to clean
the
valve on the toilet without replacing it? etc.? Is the town
responsible for the repairs?
To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email
address.

A few years ago, I had a similar problem. What happened in this
case was a surge of high pressure hit the water line. I don't know
what caused it except they were flushing out hydrants on each side
of our lot.

In our case, it blew screen in the water softener tank and the resin
went into the plumbing. The city sent a plumber out to clean water
taps, etc, and they paid a water softener repair company to repair
the water softener.

So, if you have a water softener, this may be a source of the
problem.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

You expect intelligence from a talking horse?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ransley" wrote in message

Put in a filter on the line for all inside plumbing, a cheap sediment
filter will do, no the city is not responsible, but in a small town
they might help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought his name was Oh Bomb Us?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"GoBama" wrote in message
. ..
MAYBE OBAMMY CAN GIVE HIM SOME MONEY TO DO THAT WITH.

Inaccessable Radiant heating and plumbing problems Doug Home Repair 9 October 12th 06 08:39 AM
plumbing problems Jo Jo the dog faced boy Home Repair 2 November 21st 05 12:43 AM
Plumbing problems - hot water to header tank Mike Dodd UK diy 8 November 9th 05 11:04 PM
Plumbing Problems Douglas Home Repair 3 December 3rd 04 06:31 PM
new flat - strange plumbing problems Joe Woods UK diy 4 October 13th 04 10:47 AM