Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Trying to determine whether refrigerator is okay or not.

About a year ago, I noticed that the inside of my late 80's Hotpoint
refrigerator was sweating a lot and it seemed that it was running warm
in the refrigerator section. Freezer was fine, I had pulled the back
panel and checked the freezer coils, no ice on them. I got a new
barebones model from Home Depot and set the old Hotpoint out in the
gargage. I fired it up a couple of times since then just to verify the
freezer was still working.

I was thinking of seeing if I could sell it or give it away as a fixer
so a couple of days ago I gave it a good cleaning and also plugged it
in.

Well, now I find that at the midrange setting of both the freezer and
fridge sections, the freezer is right at about 0 deg and the fridge is
at 40 which is what I gather is considered optimal. None of the
sweating I saw a year ago. I.e., it seems to be operating normally.

I'm not strong on refrigerator theory, but what could be a reason why
it seemed to be exhibiting symptoms and after a year of mostly
collecting dust now it isn't? Is it possible that sitting empty isn't
a valid test of whether it's working well or should it not matter?

Thanks for all input
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

James wrote:
[...]

Checked the door seals?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"James" wrote in message

Well, now I find that at the midrange setting of both the freezer and
fridge sections, the freezer is right at about 0 deg and the fridge is
at 40 which is what I gather is considered optimal. None of the
sweating I saw a year ago. I.e., it seems to be operating normally.

I'm not strong on refrigerator theory, but what could be a reason why
it seemed to be exhibiting symptoms and after a year of mostly
collecting dust now it isn't? Is it possible that sitting empty isn't
a valid test of whether it's working well or should it not matter?

Thanks for all input

40 is not optimal, but the maximum you want to see. 35-36 is better.

An empty fridge is not the ideal situation for testing. The sweating is
cause by moisture condensing and is more likely to happen in warm damp
weather and around the door, especially if the gasket is starting to leak.
Since appliances don't fix themselves, conditions have either changed or
you've not given it enough time for the sweating to start. Load in some
jugs of water and see if it makes a difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Oct 17, 11:34*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

40 is not optimal, but the maximum you want to see. *35-36 is better.

Okay, moving the dial about one number highter gets it within that
range. Apparently the refrig is capable of it.

An empty fridge is not the ideal situation for testing. *The sweating is
cause by moisture condensing and is more likely to happen in warm damp
weather and around the door, especially if the gasket is starting to leak..

I wonder if having cleaned the gasket and mating surfaces - was enough
to make the difference. However, I seem to recall there was sweating
on the inside walls of the refrig too. No evidence of it now. I'll try
the water jugs.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

On Oct 18, 5:40*am, James wrote:
I wonder if having cleaned the gasket and mating surfaces - was enough
to make the difference. However, I seem to recall there was sweating
on the inside walls of the refrig too. No evidence of it now. I'll try
the water jugs.

Another way to see if it is working get one of those recording
thermostats and leave it in the fridge for a while. Where my dad used
to work they had ones that would run for a whole week and continuously
record the temperature on a circular graph paper. They probably have
electronic ones now.