Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 20 AMP in Kitchen

On Oct 17, 12:44*pm, "Terry Cano" wrote:
I put a 20 AMP Outlet in the kitchen
the old outlet was 15 amp......my thinking is most kitchens
(house built 1986) should have 20 AMP Breakers
and the wiring is cooper romax
Should I go back to the 15 AMP ?
Terry

Your post is a little confusing.
You said you put in a 20A outlet. Did you just replace an outlet? Or
did you run a new 20A 12guage circuit back to the panel? What size
breaker do you have now?
Your old outlet might be rated for 15A, but the actual wire itself
could be 20A, which is fine. I remember this was brought up before,
and I beleive code allows this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Cano wrote:
I put a 20 AMP Outlet in the kitchen
the old outlet was 15 amp......my thinking is most kitchens
(house built 1986) should have 20 AMP Breakers
and the wiring is cooper romax
Should I go back to the 15 AMP ?

Is the wiring 12 gage or 14? If it's 12 then you should be OK with 20
amps, if it's 14 then stay with 15 amps. But as always, check your
local code if there is any doubt.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Code required 20a to your kitchen, so you "ought" to be okay; but it is
prudent to check. You should have #12 wire and a 20a breaker. If you can't
confirm that, go back to a 15a outlet.

As a practical matter, what do you want a 20a outlet for? Except for a few
large tools, I don't think I have ever seen a 20a plug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
Code required 20a to your kitchen, so you "ought" to be okay; but it is
prudent to check. You should have #12 wire and a 20a breaker. If you
can't confirm that, go back to a 15a outlet.

As a practical matter, what do you want a 20a outlet for? Except for a
few large tools, I don't think I have ever seen a 20a plug.

The rating of the outlet itself doesn't mean diddly. If the breaker is 15A
then there is no problem or code violation if 15A was ok at time of
installation and your replacement is a duplex. The requirement for a 20A
outlet is if there is only a single outlet on the circuit and the wire is
#12 and the CB is a 20A. Otherwise, use either 15A or 20A outlets. Check
wire. Should be #12 if 20A CB and #14 if 15A CB.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got home with the wrong one.... HD can be a mess don't trust the
label on the parts box.....was to lazy to go back. I'll check the breaker
pretty sure it is a 20 A
Thanks
Terry

"jack" wrote in message
Code required 20a to your kitchen, so you "ought" to be okay; but it is
prudent to check. You should have #12 wire and a 20a breaker. If you

can't
confirm that, go back to a 15a outlet.

As a practical matter, what do you want a 20a outlet for? Except for a

few
large tools, I don't think I have ever seen a 20a plug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
Code required 20a to your kitchen, so you "ought" to be okay; but it is
prudent to check. You should have #12 wire and a 20a breaker. If you

can't
confirm that, go back to a 15a outlet.

As a practical matter, what do you want a 20a outlet for? Except for a

few
large tools, I don't think I have ever seen a 20a plug.

If it's just the receptacle you're replacing, for properly wired kitchen
outlets, (20 amp circuits) you can use either 15 amp or 20 amp duplex
outlets. Counter outlets should be GFCI protected

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
Code required 20a to your kitchen, so you "ought" to be okay; but it is
prudent to check. �You should have #12 wire and a 20a breaker. �If you

can't
confirm that, go back to a 15a outlet.

As a practical matter, what do you want a 20a outlet for? �Except for a

few
large tools, I don't think I have ever seen a 20a plug.

If it's just the receptacle you're replacing, for properly wired kitchen
outlets, (20 amp circuits) you can use either 15 amp or 20 amp duplex
outlets. Counter outlets should be GFCI protected

shouldnt that be all outlets GFCI within 6 feet of sink etc?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message
Code required 20a to your kitchen, so you "ought" to be okay; but it is
prudent to check. ?You should have #12 wire and a 20a breaker. ?If you

can't
confirm that, go back to a 15a outlet.

As a practical matter, what do you want a 20a outlet for? ?Except for a

few
large tools, I don't think I have ever seen a 20a plug.

If it's just the receptacle you're replacing, for properly wired kitchen
outlets, (20 amp circuits) you can use either 15 amp or 20 amp duplex
outlets. Counter outlets should be GFCI protected

shouldnt that be all outlets GFCI within 6 feet of sink etc?

No, it shouldn't. Kitchen counter outlets are required to be GFCI protected

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message
Code required 20a to your kitchen, so you "ought" to be okay; but it
is
prudent to check. ?You should have #12 wire and a 20a breaker. ?If you
can't
confirm that, go back to a 15a outlet.

As a practical matter, what do you want a 20a outlet for? ?Except for
few
large tools, I don't think I have ever seen a 20a plug.

If it's just the receptacle you're replacing, for properly wired kitchen
outlets, (20 amp circuits) you can use either 15 amp or 20 amp duplex
outlets. Counter outlets should be GFCI protected

shouldnt that be all outlets GFCI within 6 feet of sink etc?

No, it shouldn't. Kitchen counter outlets are required to be GFCI
protected

Not necessarily so. Code in effect at time home was built governs unless
major changes have occurred that required a permit under later code that
requires all counter outlets to be GFI. My home, 1994, requires within 6
feet of sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twice Retired" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message
[...]

You are absolutely correct. My reference is to current code. My response to
Haller stands. There is not now, and has never been a NEC requirement that
outlets within 6 feet of a kitchen sink, be GFCI protected. As you point
out, the code in force in 94' required all counter top outlets adjacent to a
kitchen sink, and within 6 feet of the sink, to be GFCI protected