Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door trouble

Our garage door goes down but then goes back up again. I know how to
adjust the down force and seem to have to do that regularly.

Now even that doesn't seem to help.

One other clue about the door. When it gets about half-way down it is
no longer moving smoothly but jerks, jerks, jerks it's way down.

Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

engwar wrote:
Our garage door goes down but then goes back up again. I know how to
adjust the down force and seem to have to do that regularly.

Now even that doesn't seem to help.

One other clue about the door. When it gets about half-way down it is
no longer moving smoothly but jerks, jerks, jerks it's way down.

Any suggestions?

Lubricate the tracks and traverse bar. Make sure there's nothing else
causing the binding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 10:00 am, dpb wrote:
engwar wrote:

Lubricate the tracks and traverse bar. Make sure there's nothing else
causing the binding.

Like misalignment of the tracks. They can look fine but have slipped,
usually "in", IME.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/17/2008 10:00 AM engwar said the following:
Our garage door goes down but then goes back up again. I know how to
adjust the down force and seem to have to do that regularly.

Now even that doesn't seem to help.

One other clue about the door. When it gets about half-way down it is
no longer moving smoothly but jerks, jerks, jerks it's way down.

Any suggestions?

Check the gears in the head unit. They are plastic and are probably worn
or missing teeth.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 9:00*am, engwar wrote:
Our garage door goes down but then goes back up again. I know how to
adjust the down force and seem to have to do that regularly.

Now even that doesn't seem to help.

One other clue about the door. When it gets about half-way down it is
no longer moving smoothly but jerks, jerks, jerks it's way down.

Any suggestions?

Detach door from opener with the quick release [if you have one]
opening and closing should require equal force and not bind, or have
the spring adjusted, lube everything with oil, On my opener is force
and travel adjustment, 2 seperate adjustments. Springs above the door
need a pro to adjust, they are dangerous.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ransley wrote:
opening and closing should require equal force and not bind, ...

_roughly_ equal and note that closing by pulling on the bottom is a far
different test than pushing from the opener mounting location. Use the
same direction/location as the opener to determine what is actually the
force felt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 10:26*am, ransley wrote:
On Oct 17, 9:00*am, engwar wrote:

Our garage door goes down but then goes back up again. I know how to
adjust the down force and seem to have to do that regularly.

Now even that doesn't seem to help.

One other clue about the door. When it gets about half-way down it is
no longer moving smoothly but jerks, jerks, jerks it's way down.

Any suggestions?

Detach door from opener with the quick release [if you have one]
opening and closing should require equal force and not bind, or have
the spring adjusted, lube everything with oil, On my opener is force
and travel adjustment, 2 seperate adjustments. Springs above the door
need a pro to adjust, they are dangerous.

Good post. I can only add that I am not clear from the OP if the
problem is the door or the opener. In any case if it is the opener,
then make sure the safeties are all fully functional and there is
nothing like spider webs blocking them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 9:00*am, engwar wrote:

Our garage door goes down but then goes back up again. I know how to
adjust the down force and seem to have to do that regularly.

Now even that doesn't seem to help.

One other clue about the door. When it gets about half-way down it is
no longer moving smoothly but jerks, jerks, jerks it's way down.

Any suggestions?

Detach door from opener with the quick release [if you have one]
opening and closing should require equal force and not bind, or have
the spring adjusted, lube everything with oil, On my opener is force
and travel adjustment, 2 seperate adjustments. Springs above the door
need a pro to adjust, they are dangerous.

* *Good post. *I can only add that I am not clear from the OP if the
problem is the door or the opener. *In any case if it is the opener,
then make sure the safeties are all fully functional and there is
nothing like spider webs blocking them.- Hide quoted text -

Not only isn't it clear from the OP if it's the door or opener, it's
not even clear that he has "safeties", by which I assume you mean the
light beam. Many older installations do not have them. I don't.

In addition, if he had them and spider webs were blocking them, I
don't think that would cause the "jerks, jerks, jerks" the OP
mentioned. If the beams were triggered and reversed the door, it would