DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Passing cable via switch box (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/262605-passing-cable-via-switch-box.html)

RichK October 13th 08 09:50 PM

Passing cable via switch box

Hi,

For reasons of esthetics, I'd like to pass a 14gage Romex via a switch box
on a wall. This is a surface mounted box. This new cable is on separate ckt
breaker. Is this allowed by NEC code? Can't find that case anywhere.

Thanks...RichK

RBM[_2_] October 13th 08 10:16 PM

"RichK" wrote in message
Hi,

For reasons of esthetics, I'd like to pass a 14gage Romex via a switch box
on a wall. This is a surface mounted box. This new cable is on separate
ckt
breaker. Is this allowed by NEC code? Can't find that case anywhere.

Thanks...RichK

If you mean through a switch box, it's not something I've ever seen done,at
least not without a splice in the box, but provided the box has adequate
space for the additional conductors and two connectors, it should be fine

RichK October 13th 08 10:28 PM

"RBM" wrote in message

If you mean through a switch box, it's not something I've ever seen

done,at
least not without a splice in the box,

You are right, not the usual case :-) I'm mounting a receptacle box, below
a switch box. Both surface mounted on the wall. Do not want run the cable
around the switch box, although it would be easier and quicker.

but provided the box has adequate
space for the additional conductors and two connectors, it should be fine

Thanks...will do that.

RBM[_2_] October 13th 08 11:21 PM

Passing cable via switch box

"RichK" wrote in message
. ..

"RBM" wrote in message

If you mean through a switch box, it's not something I've ever seen

done,at
least not without a splice in the box,

You are right, not the usual case :-) I'm mounting a receptacle box,
below
a switch box. Both surface mounted on the wall. Do not want run the
cable
around the switch box, although it would be easier and quicker.

but provided the box has adequate
space for the additional conductors and two connectors, it should be fine

Thanks...will do that.

Could you replace the existing switch box with a larger box, and install the
receptacle in it with the existing devices?

RBM[_2_] October 14th 08 08:28 PM

Passing cable via switch box

"RichK" wrote in message
. ..

"RBM" wrote in message

Could you replace the existing switch box with a larger box, and install

the
receptacle in it with the existing devices?

Guess I could.

The box has 2 switches in it, so I suppose I could get a one bigger, but
am
not sure I've seen surface mounted one for 3 devices. Already had a spare
2-device box with the right receptacle cover.

Richk

An electrical supply will have surface gang boxes up to six gang, although a
three gang may not be practical for your application

Phisherman[_2_] October 15th 08 11:13 AM

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:50:05 -0400, "RichK" wrote:

Hi,

For reasons of esthetics, I'd like to pass a 14gage Romex via a switch box
on a wall. This is a surface mounted box. This new cable is on separate ckt
breaker. Is this allowed by NEC code? Can't find that case anywhere.

Thanks...RichK

Yes this is allowable, as long as there is adequate room in the box.
You can make other circuit connections (or pass thru) any electrical
box.