Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestions on heating detached garage - running gas? Furnace type?

I have a detached garage that is about 30? feet from the house.
It is an older unit that is all brick and insulated.

I was looking into running a gas line and installing a gas heater.

Suggestions on digging depth and buying the correct gas line?

Suggestions on heaters? There is an older chimney from an older gas
furnace.
There is a gas line to the garage, but I think the house connection
was lost when the house was added onto.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 10:52*am, wrote:
I have a detached garage that is about 30? feet from the house.
It is an older unit that is all brick and insulated.

I was looking into running a gas line and installing a gas heater.

Suggestions on digging depth and buying the correct gas line?

Suggestions on heaters? *There is an older chimney from an older gas
furnace.
There is a gas line to the garage, but I think the house connection
was lost when the house was added onto.

What is the size of the garage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 9:57*am, Mikepier wrote:
On Oct 11, 10:52*am, wrote:

I have a detached garage that is about 30? feet from the house.
It is an older unit that is all brick and insulated.

I was looking into running a gas line and installing a gas heater.

Suggestions on digging depth and buying the correct gas line?

Suggestions on heaters? *There is an older chimney from an older gas
furnace.
There is a gas line to the garage, but I think the house connection
was lost when the house was added onto.

What is the size of the garage?

I will have to measure it for SQft but it is a 2-1/2 car type.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 10:52�am, wrote:
I have a detached garage that is about 30? feet from the house.
It is an older unit that is all brick and insulated.

I was looking into running a gas line and installing a gas heater.

Suggestions on digging depth and buying the correct gas line?

Suggestions on heaters? �There is an older chimney from an older gas
furnace.
There is a gas line to the garage, but I think the house connection
was lost when the house was added onto.

I would attempt to find the existing line if you can.

code will dictate depth etc

DONT use a chimney, buy a high efficency furnace that PVC vents thru
the wall goodman furnaces are low cost and work fine

much more efficent
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would attempt to find the existing line if you can.

code will dictate depth etc

DONT use a chimney, buy a high efficency furnace that PVC *vents thru
the wall goodman furnaces are low cost and work fine

much more efficent

We had considered this for our garage, but decided not to because the
furnace wouldn't be used every day, and we were concerned that the
condensate would freeze inside the furnace and possibly damage the
furnace internally. I know that you can install heat tape and make
other provisions to keep it from freezing, but the additional 10-15%
efficiency over a standard vent furnace just didn't seem to be worth
it.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 1:10*pm, Big_Jake wrote:
I would attempt to find the existing line if you can.

code will dictate depth etc

DONT use a chimney, buy a high efficency furnace that PVC *vents thru
the wall goodman furnaces are low cost and work fine

much more efficent

We had considered this for our garage, but decided not to because the
furnace wouldn't be used every day, and we were concerned that the
condensate would freeze inside the furnace and possibly damage the
furnace internally. *I know that you can install heat tape and make
other provisions to keep it from freezing, but the additional 10-15%
efficiency over a standard vent furnace just didn't seem to be worth
it.

JK

I don't see what the big deal is with using the chimney?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I don't see what the big deal is with using the chimney?

Regular 80% heaters use a chimney to blow 20% of your heat up and out

High efficiency heaters use only a small vent to get rid of waste and only a
few % of the heat, the rest stays in the building.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

With natural gas at $2/therm and electricity at 10 cents/kWh,

Nick, it is not 1965 any more. Where are you getting those costs?
Here in New England, gas is closer to $12 a therm and electricity is 18¢.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 9:52*am, wrote:
I have a detached garage that is about 30? feet from the house.
It is an older unit that is all brick and insulated.

I was looking into running a gas line and installing a gas heater.

Suggestions on digging depth and buying the correct gas line?

Suggestions on heaters? *There is an older chimney from an older gas
furnace.
There is a gas line to the garage, but I think the house connection
was lost when the house was added onto.

A non venting Ng-Propane gas heater would be cheapest amd most
efficent at 99 % efficency, If you work out there and garage is sealed
tight a condensing gas would be next best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message

With natural gas at $2/therm and electricity at 10 cents/kWh,

Nick, it is not 1965 any more. Where are you getting those costs?
Here in New England, gas is closer to $12 a therm...

Natural gas is about $1.80/therm here. Maybe you should move.

BTW, I made a mistake in not adding 11K Btu back in...

With natural gas at $2/therm and electricity at 10 cents/kWh, 1) can make
100K Btu for $2/0.93 = $2.15, 2) costs $2/0.8 = $2.50, and 3) costs $2 for
89K of sensible heat plus 11K of latent heat, ie water vapor, which the AC
converts to sensible heat with 11K/3 = 3667 Btu (1.07 kWh) of electricity,
which adds another 3667 Btu to the room, so 3) can provide 92.7K Btu for
$2.107, or 100/92.7x2.107 = $2.27 for 100K Btu, with no chimney nor thru-
the-wall vent, at less initial cost, with welcome winter humidification.

Option 3) costs 100K/103667x2.107 = $2.03/therm (100K Btu, delivered),
so it's a no-brainer.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

A non venting Ng-Propane gas heater would be cheapest amd most efficent
at 99 % efficency...

Sounds good, if you want to work in a swamp (11% of the heat is latent :-)

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Natural gas is about $1.80/therm here. Maybe you should move.

That can't be right -- it's about $10...

Check again.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a detached garage that is about 30? feet from the house.
It is an older unit that is all brick and insulated.

CY: Insulated is good.

I was looking into running a gas line and installing a gas heater.

CY: You want to work there once in a while, or make residence there? Or just
keep your storage from getting too cold?

Suggestions on digging depth and buying the correct gas line?

CY: Check with the local code people. Building department. While you are
trenching, you'd be wise to run another electric line, some phone wire, and
maybe cable for TV or internet. Even if you don't presently have plans to
use phone or internet. Best to have the wire available just in case.

Suggestions on heaters? There is an older chimney from an older gas
furnace.

CY: If you want a residential furnace for cheap, look at Goodman. For
occasional use, a vented or non vented wall heater "blue flame" or
equivilant could work nicely. Does the building have electricity? If not,
then you should run a line to power the furnace.

There is a gas line to the garage, but I think the house connection
was lost when the house was added onto.

CY: That's worth checking. Might save you a LOT of work. You may be able to
reconnect the gasline, and save yourself a lot of trenching.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 14, 7:05*am, Big_Jake wrote:
if you trench run some empty conduit for future needs. costs so
little *nice for future use

In most places, you will have to keep electrical conduit a certain
distance away from a gas line in a trench. *I believe that 12" is
common. *Typically, you would dig the trench 36" deep, and put the gas
line in the bottom, and the electrical conduit 12" above it.

JK

WOW 3 foot deep for gas line...
I think I should try to find the original one.
I have a metal detector coming in the mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 14, 10:33*
WOW * 3 foot deep for gas line...
I think I should try to find the original one.
I have a metal detector coming in the mail.

If you say the gas line was lost when they added on the house, how do
you know if its still in good condition? It could have gotten damaged
during construction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 6:18�am, Mikepier wrote:
On Oct 14, 10:33�

WOW � 3 foot deep for gas line...
I think I should try to find the original one.
I have a metal detector coming in the mail.

If you say the gas line was lost when they added on the house, how do
you know if its still in good condition? It could have gotten damaged
during construction.

if the line is still intact a pro MAY be able to run a new plastic
line thru the existing old one saving a ton of excevating. replacement
service lines are nearly always done this way locally.

metal detector wouldnt work at 3 feet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 14, 9:33*pm, wrote:
On Oct 14, 7:05*am, Big_Jake wrote:

if you trench run some empty conduit for future needs. costs so
little *nice for future use

In most places, you will have to keep electrical conduit a certain
distance away from a gas line in a trench. *I believe that 12" is
common. *Typically, you would dig the trench 36" deep, and put the gas
line in the bottom, and the electrical conduit 12" above it.

JK

WOW * 3 foot deep for gas line...
I think I should try to find the original one.
I have a metal detector coming in the mail.

That depth wasn't a code requirement, but the distance between the gas
line and electrical line was important, and it is easier to make one
trench at 3' than two at 2'.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 10:52 am, wrote:
I have a detached garage that is about 30? feet from the house.
It is an older unit that is all brick and insulated.

I was looking into running a gas line and installing a gas heater.

Suggestions on digging depth and buying the correct gas line?

Suggestions on heaters? There is an older chimney from an older gas
furnace.
There is a gas line to the garage, but I think the house connection
was lost when the house was added onto.

Heat... to what temp? For what purpose?
Is it electracitified?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 6:59*am, " wrote:
On Oct 15, 6:18 am, Mikepier wrote:

On Oct 14, 10:33

WOW 3 foot deep for gas line...
I think I should try to find the original one.
I have a metal detector coming in the mail.

If you say the gas line was lost when they added on the house, how do
you know if its still in good condition? It could have gotten damaged
during construction.

if the line is still intact a pro MAY be able to run a *new plastic
line thru the existing old one saving a ton of excevating. replacement
service lines are nearly always done this way locally.

Through maybe a 3/4" gas pipe?

Small service lines are likely run just like cables, with a mole or
cable plow.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 9:52*am, wrote:
I have a detached garage that is about 30? feet from the house.
It is an older unit that is all brick and insulated.

I was looking into running a gas line and installing a gas heater.

Suggestions on digging depth and buying the correct gas line?

I just realized that no one really answered your original question.

Depending on where you are, you might be able to run soft copper for
gas line, but it seems that most underground gas piping in my area is
done in polyethylene tubing (or pipe). I'm not sure that you can buy
it from anywhere but a heating supply house, who probably wouldn't
sell it to you. I supposed you could run CSST through maybe 2" PVC,
since it isn't suitable for direct burial. What was the old line made
of?

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 9:53*pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Oct 11, 9:52*am, wrote:

I have a detached garage that is about 30? feet from the house.
It is an older unit that is all brick and insulated.

I was looking into running a gas line and installing a gas heater.

Suggestions on digging depth and buying the correct gas line?

I just realized that no one really answered your original question.

Depending on where you are, you might be able to run soft copper for
gas line, but it seems that most underground gas piping in my area is
done in polyethylene tubing (or pipe). * I'm not sure that you can buy
it from anywhere but a heating supply house, who probably wouldn't
sell it to you. *I supposed you could run CSST through maybe 2" PVC,
since it isn't suitable for direct burial. *What was the old line made
of?

JK

The old line looks like a steel type typical pipe.
The garage was from 1942. Not sure if the gas line was that old.
My guess it was added in the early 70's