Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Filling a swimming pool

From time to time I have to refill my swimming pool due to
evaporation.

Sometimes when I know a big storm is coming I will open the drain and
let it drain an additional 8" and I will fill it back up to the proper
level after the storm passes.

I have always used the garden hose to do that and just turn on the
water.

I also have a well pump that is hooked up to the sprinkler system. On
the well pump is a spigot, I never used it, but I could connect the
garden hose to it, turn the valve off to the sprinkler line and use
the well water to fill the pool.

I will save on the water bill...but I will pay more for the electric
consumption to run the pool. I am not sure which one yields more cost
savings.

My pool is 25000 gallons. It's depth varies from 3 to 9 feet so I
would assume an average depth of 6 feet, so on average, to fill one
inch of my pool is around 350 gallons. To fill 10 inches is 3500
gallons.

I don't know if it matters, just more or less curious. I guess my
well water would also be harder with more minerals.

MC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 4:07�pm, wrote:
From time to time I have to refill my swimming pool due to
[...]

do you have a sewer? or septic?

electric to run pump should be much cheaper than water bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 3:07*pm, wrote:
From time to time I have to refill my swimming pool due to
[...]

Where do you live? Water is pretty cheap here in the great lakes. In
fact till some time in the 70's to 80's water was free in many towns
and Chicago. Now I guess the whole country gets a water bills. I
guess you could run the pump for a minute and take a reading from your
electric meter for that minute (assuming no other appliances go on in
the house). Then you would have to ask how many gallons got pumped in
that minute. Then calculate the cost of the electricity per 1000
gallons or so. It would be a close call here as water is not very
costly, but electricity is outrageous.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

As an aside, some older outdoor hoses use lead for strength. You might
consider replacing your hose if it is older and get one made without lead.

wrote in message
From time to time I have to refill my swimming pool due to
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 4:07*pm, wrote:

and use
the well water to fill the pool.

Make sure you test the well water for pH, calcium hardness, total
alkalinity and iron before using it. Depending on its composition it
may change the pool water balance ie water may cloud over and/or iron,
if present, may oxidize.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 3:07*pm, wrote:
From time to time I have to refill my swimming pool due to
[...]

Talk to the water co, my rate is less the more I use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
m...
As an aside, some older outdoor hoses use lead for strength. You might
consider replacing your hose if it is older and get one made without lead.

I did not know that .. Guess that is why some hoses came with lables
stating something like you could use them for drinking water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
From time to time I have to refill my swimming pool due to
[...]

Fill two buckets with water - one from the well, one from the city. Let them sit
out for a warm month and see what grows in them. My shallow well water grows
huge amounts of algae.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As others have stated, it depends on the costs in your area. A cubic foot of
water contains 7.48 galons, and weighs 62.5 pounds, if memory serves. You
can calculate the fill for the pool that way. How many cubic feet?

One thing not to do, ask the fire department to fill the pool. Many water
mains have a bunch of rust in them. The sudden rush of water stirs up the
rust, and turns the pool brown. Not good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
From time to time I have to refill my swimming pool due to
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
As others have stated, it depends on the costs in your area. A cubic foot
of
water contains 7.48 galons, and weighs 62.5 pounds, if memory serves. You
can calculate the fill for the pool that way. How many cubic feet?

One thing not to do, ask the fire department to fill the pool. Many water
mains have a bunch of rust in them. The sudden rush of water stirs up the
rust, and turns the pool brown. Not good.

In my town the water bills include a sewer charge equal to the water charge.
When filling a pool they will forgo the sewer charge according to the pool's
size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 12:30*pm, "PanHandler" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

As others have stated, it depends on the costs in your area. A cubic foot
of
water contains 7.48 galons, and weighs 62.5 pounds, if memory serves. You
can calculate the fill for the pool that way. How many cubic feet?

One thing not to do, ask the fire department to fill the pool. Many water
mains have a bunch of rust in them. The sudden rush of water stirs up the
rust, and turns the pool brown. Not good.

In my town the water bills include a sewer charge equal to the water charge.
When filling a pool they will forgo the sewer charge according to the pool's
size.

For pool owners who always seem to be worrying about the'Ph' of their
pools.
Rain water may be acidic due to pollution; although higher acidity
may inhibit growth of algae etc. Here where we are to the east of
North American industrial areas we do get acid rain and also snow.
Outside pools are uncommon due to low seasonal temperatures.
Here for a regular single family domestic dwelling we presently pay a
twice yearly flat charge for water and sewer service, regardless of
amount of usage. Although that may change. The cost at the moment is
roughly $21 per month.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
Here for a regular single family domestic dwelling we presently pay a
twice yearly flat charge for water and sewer service, regardless of
amount of usage. Although that may change. The cost at the moment is
roughly $21 per month.

*************************************

Cheap compared to here. Our minimum is $110 per quarter.

Filling pools can be done by a commercial water truck too. I'm not sure of
the cost but it is a couple of hundred bucks from what my neighbor told me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"terry" wrote in message
Here for a regular single family domestic dwelling we presently pay a
twice yearly flat charge for water and sewer service, regardless of
amount of usage. Although that may change. The cost at the moment is
roughly $21 per month.

Cheap compared to here. Our minimum is $110 per quarter.

Filling pools can be done by a commercial water truck too. I'm not sure
of the cost but it is a couple of hundred bucks from what my neighbor told
me.

Typically $200 per 6000 gallon truckload, with full charge for the last
truck even if you only need a portion of it.