DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   circular saw question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/262263-circular-saw-question.html)

DJ Redlocks October 9th 08 05:24 PM

circular saw question

I just had carpeting installed in a rental property and purchased a circular saw to cut 1/4" - 3/8" off the bottom of the doors. I had no problem with the first four doors, however a 36" wood door appears to have some metal in it. About
1 1/4" into the cut sparks started to fly so I stopped. I also noticed a piece of metal about 1/2" wide on the bottom of
the door an inch or two from the end of the cut. Any advice
would be appreciated.

John

DerbyDad03 October 9th 08 05:42 PM

circular saw question

On Oct 9, 12:24*pm, "DJ Redlocks" wrote:
I just had carpeting installed in a rental property and purchased a circular saw to cut 1/4" - 3/8" off the bottom of the doors. I had no problem with the first four doors, however a 36" wood door appears to have some metal in it. About
1 1/4" into the cut sparks started to fly so I stopped. I also noticed a piece of metal about 1/2" wide on the bottom of
the door an inch or two from the end of the cut. Any advice
would be appreciated.

John

You can purchase metal cutting blades for a circular saw, either
toothed or of the "fiber" variety. Search the web, any big box store
or a dedicated tool distributor in your area.

I once cut 2" off the top of a foamed filled steel door for my
basement with a circular saw. Cutting metal with my chop saw and
radial arm saw is a common occurance.

RickH October 9th 08 06:01 PM

circular saw question

On Oct 9, 11:24*am, "DJ Redlocks" wrote:
I just had carpeting installed in a rental property and purchased a circular saw to cut 1/4" - 3/8" off the bottom of the doors. I had no problem with the first four doors, however a 36" wood door appears to have some metal in it. About
1 1/4" into the cut sparks started to fly so I stopped. I also noticed a piece of metal about 1/2" wide on the bottom of
the door an inch or two from the end of the cut. Any advice
would be appreciated.

John

The metal there is probably a corrugated joiner, just saw through it
and it should be fine, but it may do in that blade so do that door
last. For the small amount you are taking off it wont affect the door
strength.

Jim Elbrecht October 9th 08 07:14 PM

circular saw question

"DJ Redlocks" wrote:

I just had carpeting installed in a rental property and purchased a circular saw to cut 1/4" - 3/8" off the bottom of the doors. I had no problem with the first four doors, however a 36" wood door appears to have some metal in it. About
1 1/4" into the cut sparks started to fly so I stopped. I also noticed a piece of metal about 1/2" wide on the bottom of
the door an inch or two from the end of the cut. Any advice
would be appreciated.

Throw that blade away and buy a good fine tooth blade for that saw.

Then go buy this one for all cuts but fine cuts in known to be clear
of nails lumber-
http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...ion_build.html
$150 for a circular saw *designed* to cut steel, wood & aluminum.

Jim

charlie October 9th 08 10:46 PM

circular saw question

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message
DJ Redlocks wrote:
I just had carpeting installed in a rental property and purchased a
circular saw to cut 1/4" - 3/8" off the bottom of the doors. I had no
problem with the first four doors, however a 36" wood door appears to
have some metal in it. About
1 1/4" into the cut sparks started to fly so I stopped. I also noticed a
piece of metal about 1/2" wide on the bottom of
the door an inch or two from the end of the cut. Any advice
would be appreciated.

John

If you don't have a diamond or carbide blade use a saws all hacksaw blade.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

you don't use diamond blades on either wood or metal