Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Want to put faux rock on retaining wall

I have a retaining wall outside that I've been modifying lately, it's
about 50' long and 3' high. Currently it's constructed out of just old
pressure treated 2x12. I would like to build a faux rock wall. I think
that would look much better. My questions are, is faux rock the
correct term? Second, what do I use for backing? Can I mortar the rock
to the pressure treated wood then grout? Any good websites where I can
find more info? I Googled faux rock, but didn't come up with too much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Oct 8, 4:36 pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 8, 6:21 pm, wrote:

I have a retaining wall outside that I've been modifying lately, it's
about 50' long and 3' high. Currently it's constructed out of just old
pressure treated 2x12. I would like to build a faux rock wall. I think
that would look much better. My questions are, is faux rock the
correct term? Second, what do I use for backing? Can I mortar the rock
to the pressure treated wood then grout? Any good websites where I can
find more info? I Googled faux rock, but didn't come up with too much.

It wont last

What will last?

---

cover the wood with hardibacker, then cement the rock onto that, then grout.
cement won't stick well, or last, on wood.

you can get thin pieces of real rock that can be cemented on, or you can get
actual fake rock. you didn't google very hard:
http://www.fauxrock.com/products/fau...nels/index.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 6:21*pm, wrote:
I have a retaining wall outside that I've been modifying lately, it's
about 50' long and 3' high. Currently it's constructed out of just old
pressure treated 2x12. I would like to build a faux rock wall. I think
that would look much better. My questions are, is faux rock the
correct term? Second, what do I use for backing? Can I mortar the rock
to the pressure treated wood then grout? Any good websites where I can
find more info? I Googled faux rock, but didn't come up with too much.

Is the fake rock a 100% cement-natural mixture, any plastics in it
will possibly be an issue since concrete breathes and you have
moisture comming from behind with the wood, freeze thaw issues arise.
Wood as a back is not stable and will rot, in the first winter pieces
will fail if you go below maybe 25f. Maybe on hardiboard, concrete
block as a base if its natural fake stone, im just guessing here talk
to some local pros and supliers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 6:21*pm, wrote:
I have a retaining wall outside that I've been modifying lately, it's
about 50' long and 3' high. Currently it's constructed out of just old
pressure treated 2x12. I would like to build a faux rock wall. I think
that would look much better. My questions are, is faux rock the
correct term? Second, what do I use for backing? Can I mortar the rock
to the pressure treated wood then grout? Any good websites where I can
find more info? I Googled faux rock, but didn't come up with too much.

What will last is a separate stone wall not with mortar but stacked,
retaining walls move and breath.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 6:54*pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 8, 6:21*pm, wrote:

I have a retaining wall outside that I've been modifying lately, it's
about 50' long and 3' high. Currently it's constructed out of just old
pressure treated 2x12. I would like to build a faux rock wall. I think
that would look much better. My questions are, is faux rock the
correct term? Second, what do I use for backing? Can I mortar the rock
to the pressure treated wood then grout? Any good websites where I can
find more info? I Googled faux rock, but didn't come up with too much.

What will last is a separate stone wall not with mortar but stacked,
retaining walls move and breath.

Hi guys and thanks for the replies. Thinking about it, duh, for me. I
can't mortar rock onto wood...I should have known that...I just tiled
my whole bathroom. If I use cement board, should I trowel on Redguard
first? Also, once everything is done and grouted should I seal it?

I don't want to make too big of a project out of this. Next in line
would be to just put up composite wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 11:57�am, wrote:
On Oct 8, 6:54�pm, ransley wrote:

On Oct 8, 6:21�pm, wrote:

[...]

wood retaining walls MOVE, whatever you install will crack.

your far better off regrading the yard and removing the wall.

zero future maintence.

retaing walls dont last if not properly installed. footer below frost
line,, lots of drainage and a stable are to start with.,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 6:21*pm, wrote:
I have a retaining wall outside that I've been modifying lately, it's
about 50' long and 3' high. Currently it's constructed out of just old
pressure treated 2x12. I would like to build a faux rock wall. I think
that would look much better. My questions are, is faux rock the
correct term? Second, what do I use for backing? Can I mortar the rock
to the pressure treated wood then grout? Any good websites where I can
find more info? I Googled faux rock, but didn't come up with too much.

First what you have is a fence not a true retaining wall, so you are
trying to face a fence with synthetic rock. I may last a couple years
but eventually the wood will flex/swell/shrink/bow/cup/pushout and if
the rock doesn't fall off the morter will crack out. I cant think of
anything good coming out of what you want here nor a "good" way to do
it, anything you do here is a compromise.