Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing BB Hole in Window

"Glen Moffitt" wrote in message
I have a double-pane window, downstairs on one end of the family room. It's
not very visible, being under the rear deck. Someone recently shot a small
hole, probably with a BB gun, which penetrated the outer pane. I'm looking
for advice on how to seal that up. I googled around, but surprisingly not
a lot there. Lots of articles on repairing broken windows or holes in
screens, but not this. Could not find anything on Amazon or on the sites of
Lowes or Home Depot. Any suggestions?

Attach a syringe needle to a tube from a tank of argon. Stick it in the hole,
and turn on the argon to flush air and moisture from the window. Then seal the
hole with epoxy and/or clear tape.

Of course, I've never tried this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 9:27�pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Glen Moffitt" wrote in message

I have a double-pane window, downstairs on one end of the family room. �It's
not very visible, being under the rear deck. �Someone recently shot a small
hole, probably with a BB gun, which penetrated the outer pane. �I'm looking
for advice on how to seal that up. � I googled around, but surprisingly not
a lot there. �Lots of articles on repairing broken windows or holes in
screens, but not this. �Could not find anything on Amazon or on the sites of
Lowes or Home Depot. �Any suggestions?

Attach a syringe needle to a tube from a tank of argon. Stick it in the hole,
and turn on the argon to flush air and moisture from the window. Then seal the
hole with epoxy and/or clear tape.

Of course, I've never tried this.

gee i took my picture window assembly into pittsburgh window and door,
its about 4 by 5 feet and cost 80 bucks. they disassembed and
reassembled the frame. in by 8am out by 3pm

attemting to fix such a window by patching is a grand waste of time
and energy, besides wasting money
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

... There is no practical way to field-repair a holed insulated window.

I disagree :-)

OP should wait for next warm dry sunny day when the glass is as hot
as it gets, put a dab of epoxy over the hole, and live with
the occasional fogging until he can afford to replace the panel.

The next COLD day would work better.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Oct 7, 10:19*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Glen Moffitt" wrote in message

I have a double-pane window, downstairs on one end of the family room.
It's
not very visible, being under the rear deck. *Someone recently shot a
small
hole, probably with a BB gun, which penetrated the outer pane. *I'm
looking
for advice on how to seal that up. * I googled around, but surprisingly
not
a lot there. *Lots of articles on repairing broken windows or holes in
screens, but not this. *Could not find anything on Amazon or on the sites
of
Lowes or Home Depot. *Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance

You can always get one of these for $900

http://www.deltakits.com/windshield-...ts/products/3/

That is for laminated glass only.

BTW, you can buy a cheapo one shot version at an auto parts store for
about $10.00.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Oct 9, 11:09*am, bud-- wrote:
dpb wrote:

The only way to make any significant difference would be the same way
the window was manufactured--draw a vacuum and fill w/ dry gas which
ain't gonna' happen.

I believe they put desiccant in the separator channels.

Correct, and chances are it is ruined because of the moisture that it
has already been exposed to. Sealing the hole by whatever means is
just gonna lead to fogging/condensation down the road.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:

bud-- wrote:

I believe they put desiccant in the separator channels.

Correct, and chances are it is ruined because of the moisture that it
has already been exposed to. Sealing the hole by whatever means is
just gonna lead to fogging/condensation down the road.

Flushing the window with dry air can also dry out (regenerate)
the desiccant, if it's done slowly with a $5 aquarium air pump
and a $5 timer.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 7:12�am, wrote:
Ron wrote:
bud-- wrote:

I believe they put desiccant in the separator channels.

Correct, and chances are it is ruined because of the moisture that it
has already been exposed to. Sealing the hole by whatever means is
just gonna lead to fogging/condensation down the road.

Flushing the window with dry air can also dry out (regenerate)
the desiccant, if it's done slowly with a $5 aquarium air pump
and a $5 timer.

Nick

No the real way to fix this is have the window shipped to orbit on the
shuttle, NASA desperate for $$ now offeres this. Astronauts on ISS
repair the window in orbit with the special military grade clear epoxy
normally used to repair shuttle windows in orbit, Then they take it to
hubble to make sure its optically clear return to earth and reinstall.

with total cost of half a million bucks you can afford to bulldoze
your home and replace with a brand new one

geez or spend less thaN A 100 BUCKS FOR A NEW GLASS.

there are companies that come right to your home, do dirty hands
necessaryt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Oct 9, 9:27?pm, "Bob F" wrote:
[...]

************************************************** ******************************8

Oh come on! Anyone can do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 8, 2008 at 2:41:06 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
On Oct 8, 10:37*am, "MLD" wrote:
The way that we used to get moisture out of small inaccessible areas (like a
bellows) was to pull a vacuum (which would evaporate the moisture)and
basically suck it out. *Not a practical solution for this problem but just
wanted to add a tidbit on how something like this is handled.
wrote in message

Actually, I think he should draw a vacuum on his window. At about 14
psi, it'll completely destroy the glass and he'll have to replace the
window, which is the right "fix" anyway.

Hi there... the correct term is "in.of mercury" for vacuum pressure not psi..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/04/2016 01:15 PM, wrote:

L@@K at the date ^

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 May 2016 13:17:03 -0500, philo wrote:

L@@K at the date ^

See what I mean?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/04/2016 02:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 13:17:03 -0500, philo wrote:

L@@K at the date ^

See what I mean?

I think I really should just block all replies from Google Groups, but
it can be pretty funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-04, philo wrote:

I think I really should just block all replies from Google
Groups........

Since you run Linux, you should be using slrn, anyway.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 May 2016 14:42:18 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/04/2016 02:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 13:17:03 -0500, philo wrote:

L@@K at the date ^

See what I mean?

I think I really should just block all replies from Google Groups, but
it can be pretty funny.

Don't blame Google entirely.

Posters from the home moaners site is a web forum. The money is made
when they port Usenet to Web. Just sayin'.

Note they rarely say or give a partial quoted text.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-04, philo wrote:

I think I really should just block all replies from Google
Groups........

Since you run Linux, you should be using slrn, anyway.

nb

A lot of die hards do, but doggone it Thunderbird has way too many easy
to use and useful features.

The ability to open multiple tabs is especially nice.

I know slrn has the ability to score, but to me that would serve no purpose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/04/2016 02:57 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 14:42:18 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/04/2016 02:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 13:17:03 -0500, philo wrote:

L@@K at the date ^

See what I mean?

I think I really should just block all replies from Google Groups, but
it can be pretty funny.

Don't blame Google entirely.

Posters from the home moaners site is a web forum. The money is made
when they port Usenet to Web. Just sayin'.

Note they rarely say or give a partial quoted text.

I do find it entertaining to occasionally see posts 16 years old being
replied to.

The funniest one was on a group I subscribe to for antique radios known
as "boat anchors".

Some clown replied to a five year old post and the OP was still there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

theres a local pittsburgh company, pittsburgh window and door. i have used them repeatedly

i talk with them and bring the window and sash on the apprroved day in the AM

pick it up after 3 pm. includes a multi year warranty, and cheap too

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-04, philo wrote:

I think I really should just block all replies from Google
Groups........

Since you run Linux, you should be using slrn, anyway.

Wrong and blasphemy at the same time.

GNUS.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bob F, Marcia fasnacht wrote:
I have a single pane window with a BB hole in it! Can I treat it with epoxy
also?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ow-335283-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article s.com,
Marcia fasnacht
wrote:

replying to Bob F, Marcia fasnacht wrote:
I have a single pane window with a BB hole in it! Can I treat it with epoxy
also?

Marcia-

Ideally you would replace the pane. You might check with a company that
repairs automobile windshields, and see if their process would work on
your window.

If you are willing to accept a visible repair, Epoxy might work. I
would prefer Silicone Rubber Glue or Sealant. Whichever, I would make
sure there was more than enough to fill the hole. After it cured I
would slice off the excess with a razor blade.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:44:01 +0000, Marcia fasnacht
wrote:

replying to Bob F, Marcia fasnacht wrote:
I have a single pane window with a BB hole in it! Can I treat it with epoxy
also?

Better to get a clear UV cure resin. It doesn't yellow like most
epoxy resins do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 12:37:26 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article s.com,
Marcia fasnacht
wrote:

replying to Bob F, Marcia fasnacht wrote:
I have a single pane window with a BB hole in it! Can I treat it with epoxy
also?

Marcia-

Ideally you would replace the pane. You might check with a company that
repairs automobile windshields, and see if their process would work on
your window.

If you are willing to accept a visible repair, Epoxy might work. I
would prefer Silicone Rubber Glue or Sealant. Whichever, I would make
sure there was more than enough to fill the hole. After it cured I
would slice off the excess with a razor blade.

Fred

Kafuter (and several other suppliers) make a crystal clear UV Cure
resin that works real well for that kind of repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Fred McKenzie, Marcia fasnacht wrote:
Thank you, I have 10 windows on my breezeway and I am not ready to replace all
of them yet!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ow-335283-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2016 7:44 AM, Marcia fasnacht wrote:
replying to Bob F, Marcia fasnacht wrote:
I have a single pane window with a BB hole in it! Can I treat it with epoxy
also?

Wow! A reply from the past.

No reason you couldn't. Put some scotch tape over the outside of the
hole (small end). The put another over the inside, not attached at the
top, so you can drip epoxy in and push the tape to seal on the window as
you go until it is filled. Peel the tape off after it cures. As I said
before, it shows, but it does keep the weather out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to clare, an angel wrote:
Thanks, I too will try that ; no point in replacement yet, evil is everywhere
and I am in the middle of it here. We don't have a black vs. white issue, but
sin in all trying to find its way out. Some people have bad attitudes and
control issues, get these straightened up and we could have a good America
again. People perish for lack of knowledge.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ow-335283-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bob F, an angel wrote:
hi, I really need some help here; in my 70's and two windows with bb holes.
one is dry so I intend to try silicone and clear packaging tape. Other is full
of moisture; can I use hair dryer or shop vac to get exchange of air through
the long cracks without breaking glass to pieces. no point in replacing as
yet. I would really appreciate any help, thanks an angel that none seem to
like. I don't know much about even doing this, but nothing worthwhile is ever
easy. Thanks again

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ow-335283-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Kenneth, an angel wrote:
I think so too. Do I heat overall window glass from inside or outside where
pane is broken. I am a DIY"ER ; its not about money, but what I fix they will
break again just to show who is in control. I just like to find answers.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ow-335283-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Fred McKenzie, Kristina wrote:
although this is an kind post i was curious what the poster actually did in
the end...
I'm curious myself if the person could use clear packaging tape on both sides
seems either leaving a small space open at the top of one side or close it off
fully (and use a syringe with a needle then tape the tiny pin hole over) and
use clear uv gel resin like what they use for gel nails at salons etc.
(I have some product from purchasing it online using amazon and i also already
had the uv light for my nails)
Once it's filled then cure it with the uv light about 2 minutes until it feels
solid and then remove the tape from both sides... only thing left would be to
clean off the sticky residue with rubbing alcohol and ta da.. idk just a
thought and a lot faster than waiting for nail polish to dry.
Oh well, I think i shall attempt this on my window which looks more like a
rock hit it, leaving an inch sized hole and no cracking across the window and
I'll try to get a before and after picture and maybe this can help others in
the future, or you learn what not to do lol..

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ow-335283-.htm