Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frustration with Craftsman Belt Sander

I've had this tool for over two decades and never had any
issues prior (other than surprise at how much material a belt
sander can chew through with each revolution).

I was using it this past weekend on some green wood and instead
of creating a mountain of sawdust, it created a pile of sand
belts.

I can remember EVER breaking a belt prior. Any ideas on what
I'm doing or why they might be separating at the glue-joint?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

The Ranger wrote:

I can remember EVER breaking a belt prior. Any ideas on what
I'm doing or why they might be separating at the glue-joint?

First supposition would be age of the belts -- glue eventually fails.

Had similar experience w/ a bunch from Klingspor that had had for
several years. Talked w/ one of their engineers who notes the
manufacturer of the glue they use only warrants it to them for a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:22:34 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

I've had this tool for over two decades and never had any
issues prior (other than surprise at how much material a belt
sander can chew through with each revolution).

I was using it this past weekend on some green wood and instead
of creating a mountain of sawdust, it created a pile of sand
belts.

I can remember EVER breaking a belt prior. Any ideas on what
I'm doing or why they might be separating at the glue-joint?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

I usually don't sand green wood, but working green wood is very
different than dried wood. Allow the plate to cool down every 5-10
minutes. I suspect you have some cheap sanding belts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Ranger" wrote in
ndwidth:

I've had this tool for over two decades and never had any
issues prior (other than surprise at how much material a belt
sander can chew through with each revolution).

I was using it this past weekend on some green wood and instead
of creating a mountain of sawdust, it created a pile of sand
belts.

I can remember EVER breaking a belt prior. Any ideas on what
I'm doing or why they might be separating at the glue-joint?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

As mentioned, different belt supplier/brand? After having it for 2
decades I assume you've checked for a rotation arrow on the belts you are
using. Had some cheapos breaking on me then noticed the arrow on the
inside of the belt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in
ndwidth:
I've had this tool for over two decades and never had any
issues prior (other than surprise at how much material a
belt
sander can chew through with each revolution).

I was using it this past weekend on some green wood and
instead
of creating a mountain of sawdust, it created a pile of sand
belts.

I can remember EVER breaking a belt prior. Any ideas on what
I'm doing or why they might be separating at the glue-joint?

Many thanks.

As mentioned, different belt supplier/brand? After having it
for 2
decades I assume you've checked for a rotation arrow on the
belts you are
using. Had some cheapos breaking on me then noticed the arrow
on the
inside of the belt.

At first, that was my original thought but testing the next
three belts proved I was setting them correctly.

The most likely, given the experiences provided thus far, is
age. I'm guessing these are well past the 24-month life-time
warranty (probably well into the 48th) given the receipts I was
able to dig up...

sigh

Off to purchase a new set and see if that improves my usage.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

I assume you've checked for a rotation arrow

Never assume. OP?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in message
news
In article ,
Red Green wrote:
I assume you've checked for a rotation arrow

Never assume. OP?

It was checked and verified that the set-up was correct. Age
seems to be the culprit.

The Ranger