Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Auto Transmission

What happens if you overfill an auto transmission on a small 4 cil by
1.5 quarts for an extended period. It needs to rev high at first to
shift and some slipping occurs when hot. The dealer has been
maintaining the car under warranty and did a trans service when
warranty was in effect. I don`t check it because its about impossible
to do from the tight location. On the dipstick and in the manuals of
every car I have had it says Don`t Overfill. 1.5 quarts over is crazy.
Is transmission likely damaged.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ransley wrote:
What happens if you overfill an auto transmission on a small 4 cil by
1.5 quarts for an extended period. It needs to rev high at first to
shift and some slipping occurs when hot. The dealer has been
maintaining the car under warranty and did a trans service when
warranty was in effect. I don`t check it because its about impossible
to do from the tight location. On the dipstick and in the manuals of
every car I have had it says Don`t Overfill. 1.5 quarts over is crazy.
Is transmission likely damaged.

Overpressure eventually causing seal failures most likely. Leak-by and
slipping is likely result.

Undoubtedly you'll have a hard time collecting but it would appear a
dealer-aided if not totally caused early failure is indicated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

overfilling will not affect pressures. What WILL happen in all ACTUALITY,
is that the fluid will foam from being in contact with the rotating mass of
parts. THEN, the result of the foaming is slippage due to the LACK of
proper pressure on the clutch packs and band(s). Depending on the
transmission and the length of time it was allowed to be this way will
determine the extent of the damage. Simple solution? Yes,, let some fluid
out. DUH.

But considering the source of the OP, i'd say it's probably toast.