Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof runoff

Any advice about roof runoff which shoots
over eavestroughs?

Problem occurs at two corners of a steeply gabled
roof over a deck. Rainfall collects in such volume
that at the corners it shoots a foot or more horizontally
before falling 18 feet to the deck, where at one corner it
damages the stained railings, and at the other has
encouraged rot in several siding boards below the deck.
We added eavestroughs and a downspout elsewhere,
curing a similar problem, but do not know what to do
about the corners, where damage now is worse after
an unusually rainy summer.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:
Any advice about roof runoff which shoots
over eavestroughs?

Problem occurs at two corners of a steeply gabled
roof over a deck. Rainfall collects in such volume
that at the corners it shoots a foot or more horizontally
before falling 18 feet to the deck, where at one corner it
damages the stained railings, and at the other has
encouraged rot in several siding boards below the deck.
We added eavestroughs and a downspout elsewhere,
curing a similar problem, but do not know what to do
about the corners, where damage now is worse after
an unusually rainy summer.

I have noticed vertical metal barriers sticking up a foot or so at those
corners on roofs here in Florida, which gets heavy thunderstorms.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"LouB" wrote in message
Don Phillipson wrote:
Any advice about roof runoff which shoots
over eavestroughs?

Problem occurs at two corners of a steeply gabled
roof over a deck. Rainfall collects in such volume
that at the corners it shoots a foot or more horizontally
before falling 18 feet to the deck, where at one corner it
damages the stained railings, and at the other has
encouraged rot in several siding boards below the deck.
We added eavestroughs and a downspout elsewhere,
curing a similar problem, but do not know what to do
about the corners, where damage now is worse after
an unusually rainy summer.

I have noticed vertical metal barriers sticking up a foot or so at those
corners on roofs here in Florida, which gets heavy thunderstorms.

We have shorter ones here up north of the border to deflect the water into
the gutters/eaves trough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:

Any advice about roof runoff which shoots
over eavestroughs?

Problem occurs at two corners of a steeply gabled
roof over a deck. Rainfall collects in such volume
that at the corners it shoots a foot or more horizontally
before falling 18 feet to the deck, where at one corner it
damages the stained railings, and at the other has
encouraged rot in several siding boards below the deck.
We added eavestroughs and a downspout elsewhere,
curing a similar problem, but do not know what to do
about the corners, where damage now is worse after
an unusually rainy summer.

Folks here install a vertical sheet at the corners which directs the
water into the gutter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message

Don Phillipson wrote:

Any advice about roof runoff which shoots
over eavestroughs?

Problem occurs at two corners of a steeply gabled
roof over a deck. Rainfall collects in such volume
that at the corners it shoots a foot or more horizontally
before falling 18 feet to the deck, where at one corner it
damages the stained railings, and at the other has
encouraged rot in several siding boards below the deck.
We added eavestroughs and a downspout elsewhere,
curing a similar problem, but do not know what to do
about the corners, where damage now is worse after
an unusually rainy summer.

I have noticed vertical metal barriers sticking up a foot or so at
those corners on roofs here in Florida, which gets heavy thunderstorms.

We have shorter ones here up north of the border to deflect the water
into the gutters/eaves trough.

Florida here......the thingies are arched and generally about 3 or 4
inches higher than roof surface. That's just a guestimate, but I'm sure
they aren't a foot high. Rained here last night and water coming off
the side of the roof was no more than about an inch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
Don Phillipson wrote:

Any advice about roof runoff which shoots
over eavestroughs?

Problem occurs at two corners of a steeply gabled
roof over a deck. Rainfall collects in such volume
that at the corners it shoots a foot or more horizontally
before falling 18 feet to the deck, where at one corner it
damages the stained railings, and at the other has
encouraged rot in several siding boards below the deck.
We added eavestroughs and a downspout elsewhere,
curing a similar problem, but do not know what to do
about the corners, where damage now is worse after
an unusually rainy summer.

Folks here install a vertical sheet at the corners which directs the
water into the gutter.

Hi,
Same here in Alberta.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message

You need deflectors on inside corners like that. They will divert the

gush
sideways right into the gutters. Any decent gutter outfit should have
installed them.

But these are outside corners (of the main roof) not inside corners.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Don Phillipson wrote:

But these are outside corners (of the main roof) not inside corners.

So you put the splash lips on the outside of the gutters.

A (smaller) set on the inner and some diverters installed higher up to
slow the flow rate would also help...

Posted to alt.home.repair

You need deflectors on inside corners like that. They will divert the
gush sideways right into the gutters. Any decent gutter outfit should have
installed them.

But these are outside corners (of the main roof) not inside corners.

If you have water escaping at outside corners where the roof
doesn't funnel the water then the spillage is coming from turbulence.
When the water tries to flow around that outside corner it is impeded
just enough to overflow.

Install the elevated sidewall and it may contain the water long enough
to maintain the desired flow. It may also create a scenario where the
inside of the gutter overflows and damages the roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You need deflectors on inside corners like that. They will divert the
gush sideways right into the gutters. Any decent gutter outfit should have
installed them.

But these are outside corners (of the main roof) not inside corners.

If you have water escaping at outside corners where the roof
doesn't funnel the water then the spillage is coming from turbulence.
When the water tries to flow around that outside corner it is impeded
just enough to overflow.

Install the elevated sidewall and it may contain the water long enough
to maintain the desired flow. It may also create a scenario where the
inside of the gutter overflows and damages the roof?

Nobody else said it, so I will- bigger gutters/downspouts, and maybe a
downspout right at the problem corners? If the water comes off the roof
in a larger volume than the gutter and downspouts can handle, it has to
go somewhere. I have a shallow roof, and if one of the spouts gets even
slightly blocked, it shoots over the full gutter in heavy rain. Bigger
downspouts, and maybe a couple more of them, are on my 'one of these
days' list. No idea why previous owner didn't change them when he
replaced gutters themselves, which are shiny and slick rollform, and
very easy to keep clean. (I use a leaf blower on them- takes maybe five
minutes for entire house.)

I wonder if you could make a water feature out of it- a horizontal pipe
to really speed it up, and shoot it into the neighbor's yard? :^/

--
aem sends...

Excessive water runoff JJ Home Repair 1 June 16th 05 03:18 AM
How to redirect A/C moisture runoff? Dan Home Ownership 3 June 10th 05 04:37 PM
Roof runoff overshooting gutters HerHusband Home Repair 4 May 20th 05 08:39 PM
question about water runoff G Henslee Home Repair 21 March 23rd 05 09:35 PM
Sandbags To Soak-up Runoff Jack Home Repair 6 October 11th 04 02:17 PM