DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   electrical box above drop ceiling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/262002-electrical-box-above-drop-ceiling.html)

sid October 5th 08 09:34 PM

electrical box above drop ceiling

Can I leave and/or add a electrical box above drop ceiling? No
receptacle or switch, just a junction box where multiple conduits
intersect. I know you can't bury one in a finished wall, but what
about above a drop-ceiling?

Thanks

RBM[_2_] October 5th 08 09:46 PM

"sid" wrote in message
Can I leave and/or add a electrical box above drop ceiling? No
receptacle or switch, just a junction box where multiple conduits
intersect. I know you can't bury one in a finished wall, but what
about above a drop-ceiling?

Thanks

As long as it's accessible, it's fine

DanG October 5th 08 09:50 PM

electrical box above drop ceiling

One of the biggest reasons that almost all commercial work uses
drop ceilings.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

mm October 5th 08 11:10 PM

electrical box above drop ceiling

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:34:37 -0700 (PDT), sid
wrote:

Can I leave and/or add a electrical box above drop ceiling? No
receptacle or switch, just a junction box where multiple conduits
intersect. I know you can't bury one in a finished wall, but what
about above a drop-ceiling?

Thanks

I thought the purpose of drop ceilings was to cover the boxes.

[email protected] October 5th 08 11:18 PM

wrote:

Can I leave and/or add a electrical box above drop ceiling? No
receptacle or switch, just a junction box where multiple conduits
intersect. I know you can't bury one in a finished wall, but what
about above a drop-ceiling?

Thanks

I thought the purpose of drop ceilings was to cover the boxes.

I installed a dropped cieling in a back basement to cover up all the
surface wiring.

previous owners ran everything on the surface, so did the builder back
in 1950.

basements should always have suspended cielings for easy access

SBH[_2_] October 6th 08 12:22 AM

electrical box above drop ceiling

You just need to make sure you cover the junction box also.

sid October 6th 08 01:49 AM

On Oct 5, 6:22*pm, "SBH" wrote:
You just need to make sure you cover the junction box also.

What about the boxes that the builder installed that have a porcelain
incandescent fixture on the bottom ? Do I need to remove those
fixtures and cover them as well ?

SBH[_2_] October 6th 08 02:04 AM

"sid" wrote in message
On Oct 5, 6:22 pm, "SBH" wrote:
You just need to make sure you cover the junction box also.

What about the boxes that the builder installed that have a porcelain
incandescent fixture on the bottom ? Do I need to remove those
fixtures and cover them as well ?

Only if wires are exposed.

[email protected] October 6th 08 02:14 AM

On Oct 5, 9:04�pm, "SBH" wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

On Oct 5, 6:22 pm, "SBH" wrote:

You just need to make sure you cover the junction box also.

What about the boxes that the builder installed that have a porcelain
incandescent fixture on the bottom ? �Do I need to remove those
fixtures and cover them as well ?

Only if wires are exposed.

if bulbs were originally screwed in i would just screw in plug
adapters so no shock hazard can exist. anyhow thats what i did and the
home inspector didnt note it as a problem.