Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question on roofing

After IKE I have to have my roof shingled and I am wondering is there a
product I can have put down on the older shingles then put the new shingles
on top to help reflex the heat during the summer?

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

Moe Jones wrote:
After IKE I have to have my roof shingled and I am wondering is
there
a product I can have put down on the older shingles then put the new
shingles on top to help reflex the heat during the summer?

You might want to consider using GAF "Cool Colors" shingles, which are
intended to reflect heat. From the street the "Cool Colors Antique
Slate" looks about the same as "Fox Hill Gray" but from the peak of
the roof they look downright metallic.

As far as putting anything under the shingles, there is insulation
that can go there, but I believe that you have to do a tearoff to
install it.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Moe Jones wrote:

After IKE I have to have my roof shingled and I am wondering is there
a product I can have put down on the older shingles then put the new
shingles on top to help reflex the heat during the summer?

When that question has been asked in the past the consensus seemed to be it
was a bad idea. Shingles are heavy, there could be thousands of pounds on
them on your roof. So adding another layer puts a lot of load on the
framework that hold up the roof. Better to tear off the old ones and start
fresh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Moe Jones wrote:
After IKE I have to have my roof shingled and I am wondering is there
a product I can have put down on the older shingles then put the new
shingles on top to help reflex the heat during the summer?

The heat that radiates into your attic does heat your house. But it
simultaneously cools the roof. If the heat didn't dissapate, your shingles
would turn to a liquid, run off the roof, and kill your grass.

Lighter colored shingles might help reflect the heat but they show stains
and dirt.

Drive around your town and look at the light-colored shingles (if you can
find any). You may live in an area where there is not much soot and exhaust
particulates in the air. If so, light-colored shingles may work for you.

Roofing Question DerbyDad03 Home Repair 26 April 7th 08 12:51 PM
Another Roofing Question Jack W[_2_] Home Repair 5 February 13th 08 02:10 PM
Roofing Question Dottie Home Repair 4 July 28th 07 03:25 PM
Roofing Question Lawrence Home Repair 0 May 23rd 07 12:44 AM
Roofing question [email protected] Home Ownership 3 April 27th 06 07:01 PM