DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can I add a second electric stove for the basement kitchen? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/261954-can-i-add-second-electric-stove-basement-kitchen.html)

[email protected] October 5th 08 06:12 AM

Can I add a second electric stove for the basement kitchen?

I have 100Amp service to my home. I have an electric stove in the
main kitchen whose sticker lists two power ratings: 8.3kW and
10.9kW.

First question: why two ratings for one stove? Perhaps one for the
oven and one for the cook-top? If so, which is the higher?

Second question: I'm trying to figure out if I can add a second
electric stove for the proposed basement kitchen we're considering.
If I've 100Amps service to my house, which voltage (120v x 100Amp =
12kW... or 240v x 100Amp = 24kW) do I use to calculate max power I
have available? Of couse, I'm going to have to consider the electric
load of all other equipment too, but the stove alone is a biggie.

Thanks.
Theodore

RBM[_2_] October 5th 08 01:01 PM

wrote in message
I have 100Amp service to my home. I have an electric stove in the
main kitchen whose sticker lists two power ratings: 8.3kW and
10.9kW.

First question: why two ratings for one stove? Perhaps one for the
oven and one for the cook-top? If so, which is the higher?

Second question: I'm trying to figure out if I can add a second
electric stove for the proposed basement kitchen we're considering.
If I've 100Amps service to my house, which voltage (120v x 100Amp =
12kW... or 240v x 100Amp = 24kW) do I use to calculate max power I
have available? Of couse, I'm going to have to consider the electric
load of all other equipment too, but the stove alone is a biggie.

Thanks.
Theodore

You are given two wattages which correspond to two voltages, which should
also be listed on the same plate. The typical residential electrical service
is 120/240 and will be the higher wattage rating. Apartment buildings and
condos typically use three phase services which supply 120/208 and will be
the lower wattage rating.
If you are planning to use both ranges at the same time, along with other
typical household appliances, lights, etc. , you could have a problem. Also,
keep in mind that a range is generally four top burners and an oven, all of
which are seldom used simultaneously

Edwin Pawlowski October 5th 08 01:35 PM

wrote in message
I have 100Amp service to my home. I have an electric stove in the
main kitchen whose sticker lists two power ratings: 8.3kW and
10.9kW.

Probably rated for 208/240 volts. Common use as 208 is often used when the
power is obtained from 3 phase power in commercial settings.

Second question: I'm trying to figure out if I can add a second
electric stove for the proposed basement kitchen we're considering.
If I've 100Amps service to my house, which voltage (120v x 100Amp =
12kW... or 240v x 100Amp = 24kW) do I use to calculate max power I
have available? Of couse, I'm going to have to consider the electric
load of all other equipment too, but the stove alone is a biggie.

Thanks.
Theodore

Use 100 A. That 8.3 kW at 240 volts is 36 Amps so both stoves going full
blast will use 72A. Add in a dryer or a few AC units and you are beyond safe
limits. If it is an either/or situation you will never reach the limits.
The rating is for all burners and the oven going at the same time, a rarity
in most places, but yet has to be considered.

Assuming you don't have natural gas, install a propane setup for one or both
kitchens. I'd much rather cook on gas. I ditched the electric range in my
house 20+ years ago and switched to propane. Recently bought a new
Bertazonni range and love it.

Wayne Boatwright[_5_] October 5th 08 05:20 PM

Can I add a second electric stove for the basement kitchen?

On Sun 05 Oct 2008 03:25:39p, mm told us...

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 08:35:08 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Assuming you don't have natural gas, install a propane setup for one or
both kitchens. I'd much rather cook on gas. I ditched the electric
range in my house 20+ years ago and switched to propane. Recently
bought a new Bertazonni range and love it.

My complaint about electric is that the broiler isn't hot enough to
broil a steak properly. To sizzle the fat and sear the surface of
the meat while leaving the inside pink or red.

Would propane be hotter? Hot enough?

Even with propane or natural gas, you really need an infrared broiler unit
with a high BTU output. Some ranges are so equipped.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 10(X)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
5wks 1dys 7hrs 41mins
Life is only as long as you live it.

Wayne Boatwright[_5_] October 5th 08 09:30 PM

Can I add a second electric stove for the basement kitchen?

On Sun 05 Oct 2008 08:23:54p, told us...

Very rare indeed........................until Thanksgiving day rolls
around. A house full of people, A/C running because its an Indian
Summer warm day and every burner and stove element is running.
Oops. Pop goes the breaker.
Bubba *:-)

A very real possibility, and exactly what I 'm concerned about.
That's why I want to understand the limitations before I go ahead with
this scheme.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'd say given the worst combination of
conditions that you'd be severely limited by installing a second electric
range.

Since you're in the planning stage, and overall electric usage grows for
most people every year in one way or another, you might consider moving up
to a 200 amp panel. You'd have more than enough to play with then.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 10(X)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
5wks 1dys 3hrs 33mins
To thine own self be cool.

mm October 6th 08 01:53 AM

Can I add a second electric stove for the basement kitchen?

wrote:

Assuming you don't have natural gas, install a propane setup for one or
both kitchens. I'd much rather cook on gas. I ditched the electric
range in my house 20+ years ago and switched to propane. Recently
bought a new Bertazonni range and love it.

My complaint about electric is that the broiler isn't hot enough to
broil a steak properly. To sizzle the fat and sear the surface of
the meat while leaving the inside pink or red.

Would propane be hotter? Hot enough?

Even with propane or natural gas, you really need an infrared broiler unit
with a high BTU output. Some ranges are so equipped.

Maybe a misdescribed it, but a gas stove that uses natural gas, city
gas that comes out of the pipe from the city, is hot enough to do what
I want.

Would a propane stove be as hot as that?

Edwin Pawlowski October 6th 08 02:32 AM

"mm" wrote in message
Would a propane stove be as hot as that?

Yes, it is. Most are equal Btu on each burner. The orifice is changed for
the different gas.

This is what we bought
http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com/Pro...CatID=PS&ID=47

The broiler is infra-red. We've had it since May, but I've not done a steak
under the broiler yet. One of the burners is 16,000 Btu and it can heat up a
cast iron pan very hot and will do a very good job searing a steak.

It was pricey compared to the average gas range, but it is incredible the
way it cooks. The oven is convection and roasts come out fantastic, nice
bark on the outside, yet very juicy on the inside.

We had a decent Roper range for years, but it cannot touch this one for
power and ability.

[email protected] October 6th 08 04:27 AM

Can I add a second electric stove for the basement kitchen?

You are given two wattages which correspond to two voltages, which should
also be listed on the same plate. The typical residential electrical service
is 120/240 and will be the higher wattage rating. Apartment buildings and
condos typically use three phase services which supply 120/208 and will be
the lower wattage rating.

Upon closer inspection, you are correct in that the ratings are for
two different voltage setups. Would this wattage necessarily
represent the stove going full blast? i.e. all four burners on full,
and the stove on max?

bud-- October 6th 08 07:06 AM

On Oct 5, 10:23 pm, wrote:
Very rare indeed........................until Thanksgiving day rolls
around. A house full of people, A/C running because its an Indian
Summer warm day and every burner and stove element is running.
Oops. Pop goes the breaker.
Bubba :-)

A very real possibility, and exactly what I 'm concerned about.
That's why I want to understand the limitations before I go ahead with
this scheme.

The proper answer is to do a calculation and see what service size is
required. A good electrician can do this. The calculation includes the
square footage of the house and major permanently connected electric
appliances (stove, water heater, dryer, air conditioner ...).

All the stove burners and oven are not on continuously. Even if they
are all in use they cycle off and on. The calculation uses 8kW for the
one stove and, if I am reading it right (its been a while), 11kW for
both stoves. (NEC 220.55)

--
bud--