Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's a good walk behind mower?

I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago I
bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned. The
Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cabot wrote:

I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago I
bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned. The
Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

I've been very happy with my Toro Super Recycler with aluminum deck and
"Personal Pace". It performed flawlessly with routine maintenance (oil,
air filter, spark plug, blade sharpening) for 8 seasons. Then, last
year, when I had to replace the Personal Pace cable, I took it in for a
general overhaul and, again, it's been performing flawlessly ever since.

I have about 1/4 acre (which includes a modest-sized house) with various
plantings to work around; it makes one appreciate the "Personal Pace"
feature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cabot wrote:
(snip)

2 years ago I
bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned. The
Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I'd be interested to hear what your experience was with the dealer and
if you went over their head directly to Snapper.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...n_snapper.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Erma1ina" wrote in message
Cabot wrote:

[...]

I'm not "proud" of my mower but my Toro has performed well for 4 years with
almost no maintenance. I just sharpen the blade every year or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Paulsen" wrote in message
Cabot wrote:
(snip)

2 years ago I bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower
I've owned. The Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a
lemon law on lawnmowers.

I'd be interested to hear what your experience was with the dealer and if
you went over their head directly to Snapper.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...n_snapper.html

I certainly will post here, my experience with the Snapper. You're more
than welcome to copy/paste the response wherever you see fit.

I bought it through an authorized dealer, 2 years ago this past May. It ran
me almost $1,200, plus a had a Ninja blade kit put on it, which ran me, I
believe another $125.

Within the first week, it quit. Dealer said to bring it back. Problem is,
the thing weighs 165-170 lbs. It's not something you put in a trunk of a
car. Dealer came and picked it up @ no charge, though I had to wait a week
b/4 they could get out this way. They put a new carburetor on it, I got it
back about 2 weeks after they picked it up. So, in the mean time, I had to
pay to get my grass cut, since it was the growing season.

One week later, the head came loose. Had to go through the same ordeal with
dealer. Pay someone to cut my lawn.

About a month later, the self propelled quit. Had to go through the same
thing with the dealer. Pay someone to cut my lawn. Now it's the end of the
season. I had maybe 10 hours on it.

Last year, one of the drive wheels (rim) came apart. Oops, 3 weeks past the
one year warranty. Cost me $112 for new drive wheel. Had to wait because of
special order. Had another 10 hours or so on it. A whooping 20 hours on
this thing.

This year, the other drive rim came apart. These are the split rim pressed
together, hard rubber tire. Ok, I'm ticked now. I write Snapper a nasty
letter. They write back to call them. I call, and they act like it's my
fault, this thing falls apart. Telling me it's not a commercial mower. I
explain this thing has about 20-30 hours on it, and give the history on it.
It's only used my property. They send me a wheel no charge, but it took
about 3 weeks to get. The rep at Snapper tried to point everything at me
for not knowing how to use it. Good grief, I've only been cutting grass
since I was 7, and I'm now 54. I know a piece of junk when I own it.

The cable to engage the blade has broken. Another $42 out of my pocket.
Now, the self propelled cable broke, again. Numerous pins/cotter keys have
fallen out, causing the front wheels to come off!

I've even had this thing serviced every year through the dealer.

Junk, there's no nice way to put it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cabot wrote:
I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago I
bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned. The
Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

Hi,
Was that JD with Kawasaki engine? Or go Honda.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Was that JD with Kawasaki engine? Or go Honda.

The JD had a 6.5 BS engine. It was one of those with the caster front
wheels. The self-propelled broke. I'm sure I won't get the technical names
correct here, but I'll try to explain.

There's a pulley on the axle shaft, which sits on a pin. The pin wore out,
which looks to be from the bearing seizing in the pulley. The pin is not
screwed into place , but appears to be cast as part of the axle. You have
to replace the axle housing, in order to fix this, the pin was not
replaceable. The cost factor was too much vs replacing the mower. It was a
bad design.

BTW.... I worked for JD, on the transportation end. I drove regional for
them. JD used to have a good name, but it went downhill.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Cabot" wrote in message ...
I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago
I bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned.
The Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

This mower came with the house I bought in June. It's actually model
CMM1000, which I had to take in to B&D for a recall. I didn't think I'd use
it but it's actually not a bad machine and it's nice not to mess with gas
and oil. It's got just enough battery life for me to do my half acre lot.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/CordlessMower/

Posted to alt.home.repair

you won't go wrong with the Exmark with the kawasaki OR the kohler engine.
Should last a homeowner a lifetime. We had 7 where i used to work in
service 6 days a week 8 hours a day. About all we had to keep an eye on was
to pull the top off the engine about 3 times a season and blow the grass out
of the cooling fins.

steve

http://www.exmark.com/TurfTracer.htm

"Cabot" wrote in message ...
I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago
I bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned.
The Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cabot" wrote in message ...
I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible),

What was the problem with the JD? Mine has been doing a great job for 7 or
8 years now. Starts on the first pull every time

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cabot" wrote in message

The JD had a 6.5 BS engine. It was one of those with the caster front
wheels. The self-propelled broke. I'm sure I won't get the technical names
correct here, but I'll try to explain.

There's a pulley on the axle shaft, which sits on a pin. The pin wore out,
which looks to be from the bearing seizing in the pulley. The pin is not
screwed into place , but appears to be cast as part of the axle. You have
to replace the axle housing, in order to fix this, the pin was not
replaceable. The cost factor was too much vs replacing the mower. It was a
bad design.

Answered my question. You want the Kawasaki engine. Unless you have a lot
of long runs you don't want the self propelled either. They are too much
work around trees and other obstacles if you have a lot of them. IMO,
pushing is not all that hard in most cases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cabot" wrote in :

What's a good walk behind mower?

The kind with somebody else walking behind it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Cabot wrote:
... JD used to have a good name, but it went downhill.

Except for possibly the "Sabre" line for the box stores, etc., I'd
disagree wholeheartedly.

As Ed says, go w/ the Kawasaki if going green and stay w/ the "real"
Deere, not the Sabre.

I've no experience w/ self-propelled so can't comment there, but total
of four JD from 27HP to 6; from nearly 40-yr old to about 3. None have
any significance maintenance issues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Cabot" wrote in message
[...]

Mine is one with Kawasaki engine and 10 years old. Mostly cutting grass
out at my cabin. Mever owned a self propelled. Maybe when I get real
older, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cabot" wrote in message ...
I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago
I bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned.
The Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

I like the looks of Dixon ZTR. Anyone have one or have had one?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 22:08:58 -0500, Red Green wrote:

"Cabot" wrote in :

What's a good walk behind mower?

The kind with somebody else walking behind it.

You think like me.

Bought my wife a riding mower with a cup holder and automatic transmission.

She loves it.

I keep it running tip-top, change oil in the spring, pick up
a can of fuel when I find the can empty.

life is good!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Cabot" wrote in message
The JD had a 6.5 BS engine. It was one of those with the caster front
wheels. The self-propelled broke. I'm sure I won't get the technical names
correct here, but I'll try to explain.

There's a pulley on the axle shaft, which sits on a pin. The pin wore out,
which looks to be from the bearing seizing in the pulley. The pin is not
screwed into place , but appears to be cast as part of the axle. You have
to replace the axle housing, in order to fix this, the pin was not
replaceable. The cost factor was too much vs replacing the mower. It was a
bad design.

Answered my question. You want the Kawasaki engine. Unless you have a lot
of long runs you don't want the self propelled either. They are too much
work around trees and other obstacles if you have a lot of them. IMO,
pushing is not all that hard in most cases.

Depends on the kind of grass and where you live, as well as the terrain.
A self propelled is easier if it has large rear wheels.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cabot" wrote in message ...
I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago
I bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned.
The Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

I have the basic $130 MTD mower with B&S engine. Went for 9 years. The deck
rusted out at one wheel. I fixed it and got another couple years until the
rust got too bad. Engine was still good so I removed it and sold it on ebay.
I bought another one. I'm on the third season with it. Sometimes cheap
works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 20:51:36 -0400, "Cabot" wrote:

I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago I
bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned. The
Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

I have had good luck with my current Ariens. I am not sure I would
claim I am proud of it, but it has been doing the job for seven years.
I have the Ariens 21 with the swivel front wheels. My previous Ariens
died after ten years, but I had a hand in that; I overfilled the
crankcase. Now I did have a couple of issues with that one. It blew a
headgasket after nine years and the muffer threads on the body
stripped out so that I had to wire the muffler on after about two
years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cabot wrote:
I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago I
bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned. The
Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

I'd probably visit a couple of repair shops to see what brands are
currently the best.

Sure, my Lawnboy has given good service for 10 years, but I assume it is
an entirely different product, e.g. no longer 2 cycle engine.

Years ago, I bought a Toro when Toro was considered best. Well, in that
year they let their quality slip and mine was a POS, always in the shop.

You want to know from the front line folks how the new models are doing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hub bought a Lawnboy mower a couple of years ago.
It adjusts to the speed that you walk.
So this is the best one for him as he is a slow walker due to arthritis.

He does not come in huffing and puffing after cutting our 1/4 acre which
includes our house anymore.

shirleyann

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I have a self-propelled Toro, highly rated from Consumers Reports. It
is my longest lasting mower ever. My old Lawnboy and Honda fell
apart fairly quickly and they cost much more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cabot" wrote in message ...
I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago
I bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned.
The Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

I had Snapper way over priced , Now I have a Troy built , the next one
will be the one of the big Box stores cheap ones. I think mowers have
reached VCR status disposable. My first mower was a cheap Murray it work as
well if not better than any of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the
land. I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....
not a rider. I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really
liked, but the motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible),
then 2 years ago I bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst
mower I've owned.
I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind

We have about two acres, and our yard takes up about 3/4 of an acre. I
have a Honda HR214SMA mower I bought about 20 years ago that runs as good
today as the day I bought it.

When I bought the Honda, I was determined to find a reliable self-
propelled mower. The previous mowers we had were always throwing the
belts when they would get grass caught under them, or would stretch out
and start slipping. Not to mention the major hassles of trying to start
the mower. I would often spend more time trying to start it than it took
to mow our old yard.

My Honda has a shaft drive for the self-propel. Every other mower I
looked at (store brands, John Deere, etc.) all had belts which I was
determined not to do again. In 20 years I've never had a single incident
with the shaft drive, compared to belt problems every few weeks with my
old mowers.

Other than minor maintenance (spark plug, air filter, blade), the only
repairs I've made were to replace the control cables. After replacing
these a couple of times, I discovered they were rusting because I left
the cable out of the sheathe when rinsing the mower off (I rinse it off
after every mow). By returning the levers to their resting state, the
cable slides back inside the sheath and I haven't replaced a cable in
many years now.

I did just replace the grass catcher bag a few weeks ago. After 20 years
it was getting kind of clogged up with dirt and didn't pick up grass as
well. I ordered it online, super easy to replace, and it picks up like a
brand new mower now.

My mower has electric start, which was very nice to have. But, the
starter quit working several years ago (I verified it wasn't the battery,
switch, or wiring). Unfortunately, the starter cost $160, and it would
almost be easier to buy a new mower at that price. So, I've just ignored
the electric start and use the pull start exclusively. Even after 20
years, my Honda always starts on the first or second pull.

Just last week we discovered the fuel bowl under the carburetor was
leaking. After 20 years it had corroded and developed 2-3 pinhole leaks.
I ordered a new one off of Ebay for $15. Just one bolt holding it on,
less than 10 minutes to replace.

I don't know how the current Honda models compare, but I've been very
happy with my HR214. One of the best machines I've ever bought.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Erma1ina" wrote in message

Cabot wrote:
If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing

the
name. What brand is it?

I've been very happy with my Toro Super Recycler with aluminum deck and
"Personal Pace". It performed flawlessly with routine maintenance (oil,
air filter, spark plug, blade sharpening) for 8 seasons.

For Toros with Honda engines, be warned that the
carburettor may be so hidden by other components
that you cannot adjust motor speed if you need to.
My Honda engine manual says this is a shop adjustment
i.e. $50 min. (and Honda refused to tell me how to do it.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/3/2008 8:51 PM Cabot said the following:
I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago I
bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned. The
Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

I am going to raise a lot of hackles here, but I have a 24 year old
Craftsman 22" self propelled mower that is still running. It's not too
good looking with all the rust, dents, and a shortened pull cord, but it
still runs and cuts with a couple of pulls every year. The only
maintenance I've had to do was to straighten the side mounted drive
shaft and remove the bent up drive wheel covers after the mower got
tangled up in a chicken wire fence. I did buy a new Poulan self
propelled mower a couple of years ago at HD because it was on sale for
$100 and I figured that sooner or later the Craftsman was going to bite
the dust. I guess it's going to be later before it dies.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Too bad that Toro dropped the old Lawnboy staggered-wheel rustproof
lightweight chassis, once they emptied the warehouse out. I know they
can't sell two-strokes like the old OMC Lawnboys used any more, but an
OEM Honda engine on that light manuverable chassis would be great. I'm
pretty happy with the engine on my 'power by Honda' MTD cheapie, but
that chassis, even with big wheels, is a workout routine in itself. At
least until they went to fiberglas for the top decorative shell, I
remember the Lawnboys from my youth being damn near indestructible. We
had one at the house, an old beater out at the cabin, and a couple more
in the storage building at my father's construction company. Abused the
hell out of all of them, and the only thing I remember having trouble
with is the knob holes in the fiberglas shell on the newer ones getting
wallowed out from vibration. Had to machine a metal washer and put it
under the shell.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

i guess i thought you were asking about walk behind mowers, since that's
what you put in the subject line. Apparently, you were wondering about PUSH
mowers, since that's what all the replies except mine have been about.
Which do you want?

"Cabot" wrote in message ...
I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago
I bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned.
The Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cabot" wrote in message ...
[...]

Walk behind mowers include a wide varity of mowers. It just means one with
some sort of drive that you walk behind. It's not rocket science.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wrong. A 'walk behind' is typically 36" to 72" wide and always
selfpropelled.

A "PUSH" mower comes in self propelled and not and are typically 22" and
less.

thanks for playing though.

steve

"retired53" [email protected] wrote in message

Walk behind mowers include a wide varity of mowers. It just means one with
some sort of drive that you walk behind. It's not rocket science.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
news
Wrong. A 'walk behind' is typically 36" to 72" wide and always
selfpropelled.

A "PUSH" mower comes in self propelled and not and are typically 22" and
less.

thanks for playing though.

steve

"retired53" [email protected] wrote in message

Walk behind mowers include a wide varity of mowers. It just means one
with some sort of drive that you walk behind. It's not rocket science.

olddog

yeah sure what ever you say

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
news
Wrong. A 'walk behind' is typically 36" to 72" wide and always
selfpropelled.

A "PUSH" mower comes in self propelled and not and are typically 22" and
less.

thanks for playing though.

steve

Gee what are these?

http://www.snapper.com/products/walk-behind/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
news
Wrong. A 'walk behind' is typically 36" to 72" wide and always
selfpropelled.

A "PUSH" mower comes in self propelled and not and are typically 22" and
less.

thanks for playing though.

steve

Not according to John Deere
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...ers_steel.html

Toro calls them walk power mowers
http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/index.html

Snapper calls them walk behind mowers
http://www.snapper.com/products/

Push mowers in our area are the ones with no motor, Reel style, human
powered. Power mowers are either push or self propelled.

Thanks for playing though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Push mowers..

"olddog" wrote in message

Gee what are these?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Push mowers..

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/2141/pwnd2hj4.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Husqvarna with a plastic deck. The motor mounting bolts keep
getting loose, and I hit a small rock and knocked a hole in the deck. Why
would anyone make a lawnmower deck out of plastic? It does start and run
everyn time. But so does my cheap Murray. The Murray has a cheap stamped
steel deck, no problems in 4 years with it except for the so called
automatic choke, and one wheel. And you can get parts for it anywhere, even
Home Depot. Cost $169..

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big Al wrote:
I have a Husqvarna with a plastic deck. The motor mounting bolts keep
getting loose, and I hit a small rock and knocked a hole in the deck. Why
would anyone make a lawnmower deck out of plastic? It does start and run
everyn time. But so does my cheap Murray. The Murray has a cheap stamped
steel deck, no problems in 4 years with it except for the so called
automatic choke, and one wheel. And you can get parts for it anywhere, even
Home Depot. Cost $169..

Al

I use Toro Super Recycler, Personal Pace, commercially and they really
hold up. I was using Lawnboy Personal Pace mowers but, even though they
are owned by Toro, they don't hold up well to commercial use, even at a
comparable price. I also use a 32" Toro Walk behind, belt drive, with
T-Bar steering and it is a fantastic machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing
the name. What brand is it?

I bought a Bolens Model 084 22" mower 5 years ago that I use as a
weed-wacker on wheels & mini-bushhog. I beat the hell out of it on
weeds up to 1/2" thick, often hitting small stones. It is still going
strong. Never had a problem with it. Bought it new for $133 at Lowes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

olddog wrote:
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in
message
news
Wrong. A 'walk behind' is typically 36" to 72" wide and always
selfpropelled.

A "PUSH" mower comes in self propelled and not and are typically
22"
and less.

thanks for playing though.

steve

"retired53" [email protected] wrote in message

Walk behind mowers include a wide varity of mowers. It just means
one with some sort of drive that you walk behind. It's not rocket
science.

olddog

yeah sure what ever you say

I've never seen anybody walking behind a 72" mower. When I see people
using them they're generally standing on a little platform that is
towed by the mower.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)