Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's a good walk behind mower?

Big Al wrote:
I have a Husqvarna with a plastic deck. The motor mounting bolts keep
getting loose, and I hit a small rock and knocked a hole in the deck. Why
would anyone make a lawnmower deck out of plastic?

Why would anyone buy one?

It does start and run
everyn time. But so does my cheap Murray. The Murray has a cheap stamped
steel deck, no problems in 4 years with it except for the so called
automatic choke, and one wheel. And you can get parts for it anywhere, even
Home Depot. Cost $169..

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kevin Ricks" wrote in message
news
Big Al wrote:
I have a Husqvarna with a plastic deck. The motor mounting bolts keep
getting loose, and I hit a small rock and knocked a hole in the deck. Why
would anyone make a lawnmower deck out of plastic?

Why would anyone buy one?

It was on sale Got it for $269. I'll learn....

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Cabot wrote:
I have about 1/2 acre, but the house takes up a decent portion of the land.

I will be looking for a decent walk behind mower next year....not a rider.

I've had John Deere 22" cut, a Honda 21" (which I really liked, but the
motor blew up), back to John Deere (which was horrible), then 2 years ago I
bought a Snapper 26", which is absolutely the worst mower I've owned. The
Snapper has broken down so many times, I wish they had a lemon law on
lawnmowers.

I don't think my lot is too big for a walk behind, some neighbors have
riders, some landscapers, and some walk behinds.

My neighbors which mow their own, complain they have junk, but I see a lot
of the Murray brand.

If you have a lawnmower, which you're proud of, and don't mind sharing the
name. What brand is it?

Thanks!

Just be sure to get one that has a Honda engine. The Honda engine mowers
last forever. I got mine at Costco. If the engine in your old one blew
up then you probably forgot to put oil in it, as not all lawnmower
engines have automatic low-oil shut-off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:

Cabot wrote:
[...]

FYI - I researched and purchased an Airens 21" mulching with swivel wheels
and a Kawasaki engine. Starts wonderfully, runs great, cuts great - BUT -
at the start of this year, its 3rd season, I had to take it in because I
could not get it started. I needed the carburetor replaced to the tune of
$139, ouch.

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 06:42:56 -0700, Kevin Ricks
wrote:

Big Al wrote:
I have a Husqvarna with a plastic deck. The motor mounting bolts keep
getting loose, and I hit a small rock and knocked a hole in the deck. Why
would anyone make a lawnmower deck out of plastic?

Why would anyone buy one?

Honda made one. The housing self-destructed in about 3 years of
normal use. I don't think Honda makes plastic mower decks anymore.

It does start and run
everyn time. But so does my cheap Murray. The Murray has a cheap stamped
steel deck, no problems in 4 years with it except for the so called
automatic choke, and one wheel. And you can get parts for it anywhere, even
Home Depot. Cost $169..

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 11:11*pm, wrote:

I use Toro Super Recycler, Personal Pace, commercially and they really
hold up. I was using Lawnboy Personal Pace mowers but, even though they
are owned by Toro, they don't hold up well to commercial use, even at a
comparable price. I also use a 32" Toro Walk behind, belt drive, with
T-Bar steering and it is a fantastic machine.

I'm wanting a Toro Super Recycler, Personal Pace, electric start,
model 20067. I've somehow injured my right shoulder and pulling on
the cord just makes me want to scream in pain. I'm hoping the
electric start will alleviate that problem and the self-propelled will
be nice, too. I used to mow my yard myself but got lazy the last 3 or
4 years and pay someone else to do it. A few weeks ago I mowed it and
my legs were like lead!! Can we say out of condition? Anyway, the
self propelled will be nice and I will be getting some exercise even
though the mower will be doing the bulk of the work.

I have a friend heading to Home Depot tomorrow to check if they are on
sale at the end of the season. I'm sure wanting one, wish me luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I'm wanting a Toro Super Recycler, Personal Pace, electric start,
model 20067. I've somehow injured my right shoulder and pulling on
the cord just makes me want to scream in pain. I'm hoping the
electric start will alleviate that problem and the self-propelled will
be nice, too. I used to mow my yard myself but got lazy the last 3 or

Mom has a Toro with the Personal Pace and I can't stand it. Because it's a
variable-speed system, it can't decide what speed to be driving at when
you're maneuvering around things. I'd much prefer the mower's speed remain
constant and I speed up/slow down as needed. (the "old-fashioned"
self-propelled) See what the store's return policy is before buying it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 5:43*pm, Bob M wrote:
SMS wrote:
Cabot wrote:
[...]

YMMV- Hide quoted text -

All the foregoing seems to prove the KISS principle.
Keep it as simple as possible!

Until a few years ago and during the period from 1960 we had owned
several mowers mainly second hand, patched up, adapted etc. And they
worked well enough. About 1/4 acre of not too fast growing grass.

But with brand new 3.5 HP Tecumseh/Briggs and Stratton engined models
costing in the range of $125 - $150 at big box stores such as Wal
Mart, HH etc. we finally bought a brand new one around 2003. The only
'feature' it had was the engine shut off; now AIUI mandatory in Canada
for safety. Fitted it with some adjustable height wheels that
originally came off another old mower; took less than an hour even
though the bolt nuts were rusted. It worked fine for several years,
new plug change oil, sharpen blade etc. Every second year maintenance
around $20 maximum.

Last year hit something and the 3.5 HP motor broke internally. Not
worth time of fixing and didn't have spare motor or parts, so gave it
away to fellow whose brother fixes them. They picked it up. Although
we kept the adjustable height wheels.

Coincidentally someone advertised and then delivered a very old model,
very basic mower for $40. Starts and runs perfect; and is very light
for me (Approaching 75) to push and store away. Sharpened the blade
this year using a file not a grindstone ** and fitted the adjustable
height wheels (That's at least the third mower those wheels have been
on!) Also used this cheap mower to mulch previous years leaves
although compost some and burn some.

Couple of years ago daughter and son in law, who live adjacent,
bought a self propelled model 4.5 HP I think; hoping it was easier for
her when he is away. However she doesn't like it saying "it runs
away". It is also heavier and it does seem to clog up more easily if
grass is damp. Have used but prefer my older and lighter one.

The message from all this IMHO is that simplest is best, also safest,
with fewer things to go wrong or need parts just at the time one needs
to do mowing.

We always wear steel toed, shanked safety boots, mine must be 30+
years old and one of them still has the scars where one of the
generations of mowers pulled out suddenly from under a bush and took
leather off the toe of the boot exposing the steel. That night after
taking off the boots had only a small bruise that had not interfered
with completing the mowing.

A couple of years later a colleague at work, wearing only rubber
garden boots, cut off two and a half of his toes! The cut off boot has
been exhibited at safety exhibitions ever since (the dead and mangled
toes were removed)!

So again; simplest is best. Low cost, minimum maintenance most of
which one can do oneself.

Buy cheap, fix it yourself. After all it's only a mower one of the
simpler bits of machinery. Now don't get me started about our third/
fourth hand snow blower; which we have rebuilt twice. Quite a bit more
complicated!.

** Had quite a job getting the blade holding bolt out; looked like it
might have not been off since first installed and judging by model the
mower must be at least 40 years old! It looks like an old catalogue
model? Found an older 17/32 half inch drive socket, hammered it on the
somewhat damaged bolt head and needed quite a bit of effort to get
bolt out. Tip; jam the wrench against something (such as the bench
vise) and use both hands on the blade (I wear gloves to reduce
bruising cos of the blood medication taken) to apply torque; having
lifted the mower to a suitable (bench height). That's where that lower
weight comes in handy! But got a 12 volt impact wrench somewhere must
try that sometime!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 10:26*pm, terry wrote:

Snip, snip, snip.

That's great, nice story, but I'm still wanting a self-propelled. If
it doesn't perform as I expected it will be returned. But if you want
to come mow my yard, I'll keep the older walk behind non-self
propelled. But I insist you bag the clippings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i like honda,if you can stand the cost,, but for a good cheepper
mower, the yard man ,5-6 hp briggs with ball brgs wheels is a pretty
good one for the money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote in news:f0ca320d-aca5-4f9b-888f-
:

The cut off boot has
been exhibited at safety exhibitions ever since (the dead and mangled
toes were removed)!

Well, you know there's gotta be some rotten minute meat chunks in there
somewhere.