DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New Dryer is Blowing the Circuit Breaker - HELP! (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/261878-re-new-dryer-blowing-circuit-breaker-help.html)

[email protected] October 4th 08 01:44 AM

New Dryer is Blowing the Circuit Breaker - HELP!

On Sep 23, 10:03*pm, wrote:
The situation is: * The house is 100 years old. Has 100 amp breaker
service. Bought a newdryerand after 15 minutes of running, it blows
the circuit breaker. I would just put in a bigger circuit breaker but
me and electricity don't get along very well.

I reset the breaker and turn on the newdryer- the breaker trips
again after a few minutes. *I have now stopped using the newdryer.

Thedryeris about 30 feet from the breaker box. * *There used to be a
very olddryerthat I assume worked just fine - we just bought the
house. *It has a three prong plug.

My question is: * *Just up the circuit breaker 5 amps and install one
a bit stronger? * Re-run some lower gauge wire and up the circuit
breaker by 5 amps from what it is already?

This is my kids house and is in the middle of nowhere (Ernest) *PA.
He has been trying to get an electrician to come out to the house but
it is like pulling teeth. *I will likely need to do it myself when I
go visit. *I just don't to burn the house down because I overloaded
the wire/circuit.

Suggestions - Hints?

UPDATE: UPDATE:

The circuit breaker was 30 AMPS. The Wire was 10/3. Lowes
came back to the house and replaced the dryer. ALL IS GREAT NOW. The
new dryer works great! The first new dryer must have had a short or
something wrong with the wiring.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ASSISTANCE! I could not have figured this out
without your suggestions.