Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Postable Digital TV's?

I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Blass wrote:
I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Hi,
One thing some fancy laptop computers come with TV tuner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Robert Blass wrote:
I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Hi,
One thing some fancy laptop computers come with TV tuner.

And for others, the USB tuner dongles are $100.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Blass wrote in
:

I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

a couple of the DTV converters run on 12VDC.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

found a govt. site for $40 coupons and ordered two. We'll see.

My in-law got their coupons from the same site. Their convertors were
$9.95 each two weeks ago.
FWIW
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 10:11:28 -0500, "Pete C."
sayd the following:

Tony Hwang wrote:

Robert Blass wrote:
I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Hi,
One thing some fancy laptop computers come with TV tuner.

And for others, the USB tuner dongles are $100.

Uh, how would that work with NO electricity which is why I asked?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Robert Blass wrote:
I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Hi,
One thing some fancy laptop computers come with TV tuner.

And for others, the USB tuner dongles are $100.

Uh, how would that work with NO electricity which is why I asked?

Uh, it's a *laptop.*
Posted to alt.home.repair

Laptops run on electricty.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

Uh, how would that work with NO electricity which is why I asked?

Uh, it's a *laptop.*

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable Digital TV's?

I'm guessing it won't be long after the digital roll over date. They will be
at all the department stores.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Laptops run on electricty.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

Uh, how would that work with NO electricity which is why I asked?

Uh, it's a *laptop.*

if the 12v battery tv is under discussion, then a battery powered laptop is
pretty much the same thing. if the tv is on a car battery through an
inverter, it would be simple to run the laptop off the same source.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:02:22 -0700, Smitty Two
sayd the following:

Tony Hwang wrote:

Robert Blass wrote:
I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Hi,
One thing some fancy laptop computers come with TV tuner.

And for others, the USB tuner dongles are $100.

Uh, how would that work with NO electricity which is why I asked?

Uh, it's a *laptop.*

I wanted portable battery operated dtv as I posted

Posted to alt.home.repair

When did I ever mention owning a laptop?

You guys skipped on to laptops.

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 15:38:26 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
sayd the following:

Laptops run on electricty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:06:23 -0700, "charlie"
sayd the following:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Laptops run on electricty.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

Uh, how would that work with NO electricity which is why I asked?

Uh, it's a *laptop.*

if the 12v battery tv is under discussion, then a battery powered laptop is
pretty much the same thing. if the tv is on a car battery through an
inverter, it would be simple to run the laptop off the same source.

Let me try this again. I am asking about a Portable Digital TV, like
the ones sold for analog TV. I never said I wanted it connected to a
car and I didn't mention needing it for a laptop, in fact I never even
said the word laptop.

?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Robert Blass wrote:
I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Hi,
One thing some fancy laptop computers come with TV tuner.

And for others, the USB tuner dongles are $100.

Uh, how would that work with NO electricity which is why I asked?

Uh, it's a *laptop.*

I wanted portable battery operated dtv as I posted- Hide quoted text -

So why dont you google it, do you expect folks to give you the link, I
just saw 2 of them on one site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 16:24:12 -0400, Robert Blass
wrote:

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:06:23 -0700, "charlie"
sayd the following:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Laptops run on electricty.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
Uh, how would that work with NO electricity which is why I asked?

Uh, it's a *laptop.*

if the 12v battery tv is under discussion, then a battery powered laptop is
pretty much the same thing. if the tv is on a car battery through an
inverter, it would be simple to run the laptop off the same source.

Let me try this again. I am asking about a Portable Digital TV, like
the ones sold for analog TV. I never said I wanted it connected to a
car and I didn't mention needing it for a laptop, in fact I never even
said the word laptop.

?

Something like this?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...es&tab=summary

If the link doesn't work, search for an Accurian 7" portable handheld
TV.

Assuming you're looking for a single-piece item, and not a solution
involving laptops or separate digial converters with inverters and
extra 12V batteries to carry around. :-)

Josh

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 10:02:07 -0400, Robert Blass
wrote:

I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Haier Hlt71 7" Portable Lcd Tv - HLT71
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208673168
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Robert Blass wrote:
I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Hi,
One thing some fancy laptop computers come with TV tuner.

And for others, the USB tuner dongles are $100.

Uh, how would that work with NO electricity which is why I asked?

On your charged-up laptop, which will run about as long as alkalines in
a battery TV. If you have gas in the car to keep that battery running,
you can sit in the car and watch. I've done that a few times, now I just
try to sleep through the outage, or if it is several days, find the
nearest hotel with power and room.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Laptops run on electricty.

they run on BATTERIES.
and can be charged/ran from a car's cig lighter,OR another 12v source.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Oct 2008 01:00:07 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote in news:kurtullman-
:

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

found a govt. site for $40 coupons and ordered two. We'll see.

My in-law got their coupons from the same site. Their convertors were
$9.95 each two weeks ago.
FWIW

do you mean [FORTY-nine] 49.95?
That's what Wal-Mart is selling Magnavox
converters for,and with sales tax,it adds up to $13.

If a DTV converter sold for $10,I wouldn't bother with coupons.

I assumed kurt was talking about the price with the coupon applied.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Robert Blass wrote:

Let me try this again. I am asking about a Portable Digital TV, like
the ones sold for analog TV. I never said I wanted it connected to a
car and I didn't mention needing it for a laptop, in fact I never even
said the word laptop.

?

Someone brought up the laptop as a *possible* solution, just in case you
had one already. The tuner dongle would be less expensive than a whole
TV *if* you already had the laptop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Robert Blass wrote:
I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Hi,
One thing some fancy laptop computers come with TV tuner.

And for others, the USB tuner dongles are $100.

Uh, how would that work with NO electricity which is why I asked?

Hmmm,
Laptops work on built-in batteries and can be charged while being used
via car cigarette lighter plug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Robert Blass wrote:
I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Hi,
One thing some fancy laptop computers come with TV tuner.
And for others, the USB tuner dongles are $100.

Uh, how would that work with NO electricity which is why I asked?

On your charged-up laptop, which will run about as long as alkalines in
a battery TV. If you have gas in the car to keep that battery running,
you can sit in the car and watch. I've done that a few times, now I just
try to sleep through the outage, or if it is several days, find the
nearest hotel with power and room.

I wanted to do that last thing, but there's a problem in that major
power outages often coincide with hotels being full, as happened
during the recent storm (Ike).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Haier Hlt71 7" Portable Lcd Tv - HLT71
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208673168

I'm curious about something. On three different TVs with digital
tuners, a 2002 model with a set top box, a 2008 model with built in OTA
digital tuner, and my mother's portable with a digital converter, it
seems like the digital signal does a VERY poor job of penetrating
walls. The only thing that I've tried so far that worked worth a crap
is an outdoor rooftop antennae and even that was affected if the wind
blew the leaves on the tall trees between the antennae and the
transmitter towers downtown. Are others having similar experiences?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Haier Hlt71 7" Portable Lcd Tv - HLT71
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208673168

I'm curious about something. On three different TVs with digital
tuners, a 2002 model with a set top box, a 2008 model with built in OTA
digital tuner, and my mother's portable with a digital converter, it
seems like the digital signal does a VERY poor job of penetrating
walls. The only thing that I've tried so far that worked worth a crap
is an outdoor rooftop antennae and even that was affected if the wind
blew the leaves on the tall trees between the antennae and the
transmitter towers downtown. Are others having similar experiences?

Wait until Feb '09 or so when the stations are transmitting at full
power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Are you saying that even though many of the sub channels (12-1, 12-2,
12-3) are only available via over the air that they aren't using full power?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 10:18:36 -0400, "T. McQuinn"
wrote:

[snip]

Are you saying that even though many of the sub channels (12-1, 12-2,
12-3) are only available via over the air that they aren't using full power?

I think that's true with the ABC station here. Also, they seem to be
planning to go back to the original channel (analog on 7, digital on
10) later. Maybe they're now using a low power transmitter for digital
and will switch to the full power one (currently being used for
analog) then.

Why would sub channel availability have anything to do with
transmitter power?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"T. McQuinn" wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Many if not most of the current ATSC transmissions are at considerably
lower power than the stations main NTSC transmission and will switch to
full power when the NTSC transmitter is shutdown. Some of these ATSC
transmissions are operating at a few kW now and will be in the MW range
after the cutover. Somewhere on the FCC site there is a database listing
the pre and post cutover power levels. Sub channels have nothing to do
with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Many if not most of the current ATSC transmissions are at considerably
lower power than the stations main NTSC transmission and will switch to
full power when the NTSC transmitter is shutdown. Some of these ATSC
transmissions are operating at a few kW now and will be in the MW range
after the cutover. Somewhere on the FCC site there is a database listing
the pre and post cutover power levels. Sub channels have nothing to do
with it.

That could be very good news! I'll have to look for that FCC data.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Haier Hlt71 7" Portable Lcd Tv - HLT71
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208673168

I'm curious about something. On three different TVs with digital
tuners, a 2002 model with a set top box, a 2008 model with built in OTA
digital tuner, and my mother's portable with a digital converter, it
seems like the digital signal does a VERY poor job of penetrating
walls. The only thing that I've tried so far that worked worth a crap
is an outdoor rooftop antennae and even that was affected if the wind
blew the leaves on the tall trees between the antennae and the
transmitter towers downtown. Are others having similar experiences?

Sounds like you are in a fringe area. I do pretty good with a converter
box and rabbit ears, except for one station that is a tough catch even
for analog and a roof antenna. I do find the digital signals are much
fussier about how the antenna is pointed. I'm just farting around at
this point, while I decide how much to spend on a new roof antenna to
replace the one that came with the house that is in sad shape. (It will
only be backup for Dishnet, so I don't want to spend too much.) I
clamped rabbit ears on a swiveling camera tripod in the corner of the
back living room, so I can easily rotate it as needed.

(No, no woman lives here. Why do you ask?)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
"T. McQuinn" wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm,
1MW = 1000,000W = 1Kw. So you're saying they are going to decrease power?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 15:54:58 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
"T. McQuinn" wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

[...]

1MW = 1,000,000W != 1Kw
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
"T. McQuinn" wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

[...]

1 MW = 1,000 KW = 1,000,000 W, not to be confused with 1 mW = 0.01 W

Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnB wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Tony Hwang wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
"T. McQuinn" wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

[...]

Yea, that too. Typing too fast
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 12:58*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
*AZ Nomad wrote:

found a govt. site for $40 coupons and ordered two. *We'll see.

* *My in-law got their coupons from the same site. Their convertors were
$9.95 each two weeks ago.
FWIW

Circuit City is selling them for $60, so after the rebate they are $20.

Digital SLR Cameras- Compare n Buy Digital SLR Camera Shopping India Electronics 0 September 30th 08 08:19 AM
Digital SLR Cameras- Compare n Buy Digital SLR Camera Shopping India Electronics Repair 0 September 30th 08 08:18 AM
old tv's kevin Electronics Repair 3 March 28th 07 03:11 AM
New Big TV's James Douglas Electronics Repair 0 February 19th 06 02:05 PM
Sky on all tv's Alec UK diy 7 August 8th 05 10:25 PM