Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bosch dumping 36 volt hammer drill

Amazon and eBay are offering the Bosch 18636-02 hammer drill for
$200 or less, while some stores list it for over $500. I ordered one
shipped for $180 (US). That kit with the "-02" suffix includes two
36 volt 2 amp/hour lithium-ion FatPack batteries.

I'm not suggesting it's the only cordless drill deal out there. But
if they aren't defective somehow, it looks excellent for a big
hammer drill, and I wonder why Bosch is dumping them.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 7:09*am, John Doe wrote:
Amazon and eBay are offering the Bosch 18636-02 hammer drill for
$200 or less, while some stores list it for over $500. I ordered one
shipped for $180 (US). That kit with the "-02" suffix includes two
36 volt 2 amp/hour lithium-ion FatPack batteries.

I'm not suggesting it's the only cordless drill deal out there. But
if they aren't defective somehow, it looks excellent for a big
hammer drill, and I wonder why Bosch is dumping them.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/

Just the batteries should sell for $300+, if it has a warranty its a
great deal. But HDs Ridgid tools have life time warranty even on
batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

John Doe wrote:
I'm not suggesting it's the only cordless drill deal out there. But
if they aren't defective somehow, it looks excellent for a big
hammer drill, and I wonder why Bosch is dumping them.

My hypothesis would be end of stock of a discontinued model replaced by
newer if not refurbished.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 8:09*am, John Doe wrote:

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/

Why have such a large front wheel on that skate? It seems to me that
having a standard wheel that was slightly raised would accomplish the
same thing without the weight penalty.

How fast does the little motor get the motorized skates, and hopefully
you, moving?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Why have such a large front wheel on that skate? It seems to me
that having a standard wheel that was slightly raised would
accomplish the same thing without the weight penalty.

I have thought so too from time to time. The complexities are
amazing. It is never-ending fun for someone who enjoys skating and
designing stuff.

One of the benefits, if not the main benefit, of an in-line long
wheelbase for rough street skating is the ability to traverse small
potholes without the frame falling into the hole. Raising the front
wheel reduces that benefit. When you go over a rise, the front wheel
raises the frame so that the trailing wheels can more easily go over
the same rise. If the small first trailing wheel is lower than the
front wheel, the front wheel will not raise the frame as far
relative to the first trailing wheel, and it will catch more.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong in saying that I'm wrong.
There are a jillion possibilities. The current method is working
very well for smoothing out the road/sidewalk. The skate tends to
catch more after the front wheel instead of at the front wheel, and
that is better for me.

In this case, having a front wheel on the same level as the other
wheels also allows using it as a drive Wheel. I'm planning to remove
the first trailing wheel and replace it with a stopgap slider made
of Delrin. The stopgap will go from the big front wheel to the small
second trailing wheel. That should more smoothly transition the
terrain from the front wheel all the way past the second trailing
wheel. The cost might be worse handling when turning on rough
terrain. Will see.

How fast does the little motor get the motorized skates, and
hopefully you, moving?

If you look at my "photostream", you will see some fancy looking red
and white Rollerblades. That drive method used a 36 V DeWalt motor
and propelled me up to about 18 mph. The system was ultra efficient,
it felt very good after some practice, and it was encouraging, but
the motor is much too close to the ground.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I'm not suggesting it's the only cordless drill deal out there.
But if they aren't defective somehow, it looks excellent for a
big hammer drill, and I wonder why Bosch is dumping them.

My hypothesis would be end of stock of a discontinued model
replaced by newer if not refurbished.

So far I have two, selling two of the batteries and one charger on
eBay. I need the drill bodies more. The box the kit comes in is
factory sealed. The contents are not refurbished. I have a feeling
that they just made a mistake, that very few people need a 7+ pound
cordless hammer drill and they overproduced them. And then there is
the downturn in the housing market. Many months ago, I also bought
one of the 36v DeWalt cordless hammer drills, they aren't nearly as
fancy outside or inside, and yet they sell for more on eBay.