Posted to alt.home.repair
pat pat is offline

Default septic tank pump-out

How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after
being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Posted to alt.home.repair

pat wrote:

How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after
being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

It doesn't matter. The point of septic tank pumping is to remove
undigested solids so they can't build to a level where they are carried
over the baffle and eventually into the outlet where they clog the
leaching field.
Posted to alt.home.repair

when they do mine, it's empty when they leave.

"pat" wrote in message
How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after
being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Posted to alt.home.repair

pat wrote:
How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after
being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Hi,
Tank with field? Mine is just 1000 gallon holding tank for my cabin.
When they pump out, it is empty, nothing left.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"pat" wrote in :

How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after
being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Well, if you're paying them to pump a 1000 gal tank and a part of the total
charge is a dumping fee for 1000 gal, let them take 1000 gal.

The bottom of the tank contains sludge. Sludge is normal. Under normal
operation sludge is constantly being decomposed and replaced by new sludge.
Too much sludge can cause failure.

From http://extension.umd.edu/environment...es/septic.html

"Hire a licensed professional (listed in the phone book under "septic tank
cleaners") to pump the waste out of your tank. The tank should be pumped
out through the manhole, not the smaller inspection ports. The tank should
be cleaned completely, leaving nothing in the tank. Make sure the baffles
are inspected and that the tank is checked for leaks."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:12:56 -0400, "pat" wrote Re
septic tank pump-out :

How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after
being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Leaving 1 or 2 inches is reasonable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"pat" wrote in message
How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after
being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Odd, the fill mine with water after pumping the sludge out. The tank
could be damaged if left completely empty, I am told.
Posted to alt.home.repair

depends on what the tank is made of, and the water table in your area. I've
never known of this practice. And i doubt that the installers even in YOUR
area fill new tanks with water.

"Chris" wrote in message ...

Odd, the fill mine with water after pumping the sludge out. The tank could
be damaged if left completely empty, I am told.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I asked about refil, one time. The septic pumper guy said it would fill in a
couple days from normal usage of water. I guess if you were concerned, you
could run water in the tub till the tank filled a bit.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chris" wrote in message ...

Odd, the fill mine with water after pumping the sludge out. The tank could
be damaged if left completely empty, I am told.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message

"pat" wrote in message
How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after
being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Odd, the fill mine with water after pumping the sludge out. The tank
could be damaged if left completely empty, I am told.

You were told a lie.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

with a very high water table, could an empty one float out of the ground if
not buried deeply?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"pat" wrote in message
How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after
being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Odd, the fill mine with water after pumping the sludge out. The tank
could be damaged if left completely empty, I am told.

You were told a lie.

A light weight plastic or metal tank in a high water table area might want
to float if it is not weighed down with plenty of soil overburden or full of
water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in
anews.com:

"pat" wrote in message
How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank
after being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Odd, the fill mine with water after pumping the sludge out. The tank
could be damaged if left completely empty, I am told.

You were told a lie.

A light weight plastic or metal tank in a high water table area might
want to float if it is not weighed down with plenty of soil overburden
or full of water.

In 2004, when building my new house, the 1500 gal.two chamber concrete
septic tank and line was installed but not backfilled. A tropical storm
came through and dumped about 2" of rain. The empty tank floated and
turned over in the trench. The installers broke it while trying to right
it and had to install another. So, it doesn't matter what their made of
it all has to do with water displacement in a confined space.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"TomC" wrote in message
.. .
"EXT" wrote in
anews.com:

"pat" wrote in message
How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank
after being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Odd, the fill mine with water after pumping the sludge out. The tank
could be damaged if left completely empty, I am told.

You were told a lie.

A light weight plastic or metal tank in a high water table area might
want to float if it is not weighed down with plenty of soil overburden
or full of water.

In 2004, when building my new house, the 1500 gal.two chamber concrete
septic tank and line was installed but not backfilled. A tropical storm
came through and dumped about 2" of rain. The empty tank floated and
turned over in the trench. The installers broke it while trying to right
it and had to install another. So, it doesn't matter what their made of
it all has to do with water displacement in a confined space.

It has been a while since I last read of a concrete boat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't the kids at MIT do that every year? Concrete boat?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

In 2004, when building my new house, the 1500 gal.two chamber concrete
septic tank and line was installed but not backfilled. A tropical storm
came through and dumped about 2" of rain. The empty tank floated and
turned over in the trench. The installers broke it while trying to right
it and had to install another. So, it doesn't matter what their made of
it all has to do with water displacement in a confined space.

It has been a while since I last read of a concrete boat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

"TomC" wrote in message
.. .
"EXT" wrote in
anews.com:

"pat" wrote in message
[...]

they make a lot of boats out of concrete.

http://www.ferrocement.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomC wrote in
:

"EXT" wrote in
anews.com:

"pat" wrote in message
How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank
after being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Odd, the fill mine with water after pumping the sludge out. The
tank could be damaged if left completely empty, I am told.

You were told a lie.

A light weight plastic or metal tank in a high water table area might
want to float if it is not weighed down with plenty of soil
overburden or full of water.

In 2004, when building my new house, the 1500 gal.two chamber concrete
septic tank and line was installed but not backfilled. A tropical
storm came through and dumped about 2" of rain. The empty tank floated
and turned over in the trench. The installers broke it while trying to
right it and had to install another. So, it doesn't matter what their
made of it all has to do with water displacement in a confined space.

Yea, displacement is the defined key to floating but you really can't
say it doesn't matter what it's made of. A lighter object must displace
less water to float. Dunno what a septic tank weights but if it weights
a ton it must displace the amount of water that weights a ton if I
recall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Blattus Slafaly wrote:

"pat" wrote in message
How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after
being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

Odd, the fill mine with water after pumping the sludge out. The tank
could be damaged if left completely empty, I am told.

You were told a lie.

Yeah and my maintenance guy must be very stupid. He goes around with two
trucks one with an empty tank to fill up with sludge and the other
truck with a tank full of water. Has been in the business of
installing septics like twenty years. Too bad he never had a chance to
learn from you how to do things right and save money too... :)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Chris wrote:

Yeah and my maintenance guy must be very stupid. He goes around with two
trucks one with an empty tank to fill up with sludge and the other
truck with a tank full of water. Has been in the business of
installing septics like twenty years. Too bad he never had a chance to
learn from you how to do things right and save money too... :)

I agree, your guy must be stupid to drive two trucks to every job. If he
wants to fill the tank with water, he could just turn on some faucets in
the house, or throw the hose in there while he has the lid off.

I'm not on either side of the debate on the wisdom of refilling the
tank, but the extra truck idea qualifies as pretty stupid.

But then I guess he charges twice as much as the other companies, what
with the extra truck and the extra driver, and you gladly pay it, so,
uh, um, no, I'm not calling you stupid, but someone else might.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 1:12 am, "pat" wrote:
How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after
being cleaned 1", 2" or more?

This is a wind up?
But, I will answer anyway.
A septic tank is always totally full of water.
When removing the sludge from the bottom (which can set quite firmly
they should use a pressure hose to break it up and then pump it out)
refilling with water.
The septic process relies on an anaerobic system of airless
decomposition, this means, that to work properly (and not to smell)
the solids must be under water at all times, this processes the solids
and certain toxins and turns them into various gases and water. 70% of
toilet is water anyway. So the remainder is very small after process.
That is why a properly used septic tank will only need emptying every
20 or 30 years. The resulting liquid then moves away into the drain
field where it goes through an aerobic process that kills off the
remaining toxins and viruses. Before the liquid now pure water rejoins
the local aquifer and you drink it again.
As mentioned elsewhere, a tank must always be full, especially when
installing as the pressure of the backfill can damage the tank and as
written elsewhere, if not completely full of waste and water, in times
of flooding or high water level, the tank will pop out of the ground.
Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PerryOne" wrote in message
A septic tank is always totally full of water...
As mentioned elsewhere, a tank must always be full, especially when
installing as the pressure of the backfill can damage the tank ..

Well not always. In PIMA county AZ, you are required to EMPTY the tank
when the house is sold and there must be an inspection of the EMPTY tank,
w/form submitted to the DEQ (County).

Posted to alt.home.repair

dont know much about septic tanks but do know about my uncles built in
swimming pool, it was beautful.

uncle had high water table, and hole filled with water during pool
install.

hge was warned to never pump out pool for extended period.

he infornmed new owner who did that one winter the pool raised right
out the ground and was ruined,

perhaps thats the issue here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 05 Oct 2008 06:12:57p, Chris told us...

Caesar Romano wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 22:36:22 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote Re septic tank pump-out:

But then I guess he charges twice as much as the other companies, what
with the extra truck and the extra driver, and you gladly pay it, so,
uh, um, no, I'm not calling you stupid, but someone else might.

Bingo!

I wouldn't waste my time educating these two last responders, but just
for the knowledge of others who come he Filling up a large tank using
a normal faucet and on a well would waste my money and the maintenance
guys time. Got it, Einstein 1 and Einstein 2?

So folks, if geniuses like these two suggest to do the same at your
place give them the boot.

We had a 1500 gallon septic tank installed when our new house was built.
It was not filled with anything prior to it being backfilled and covered
with soil. It doesn't take a long time to fill a tank from normal
household use if you consider all the sources; e.g., laundry, dishwasher,
frequent toilet flushings, full bathtubs drained, showers, etc.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 10(X)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
5wks 1dys 5hrs 8mins
The whole world is about three drinks
behind

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
"PerryOne" wrote in message
A septic tank is always totally full of water...
As mentioned elsewhere, a tank must always be full, especially when
installing as the pressure of the backfill can damage the tank ..

Well not always. In PIMA county AZ, you are required to EMPTY the tank
when the house is sold and there must be an inspection of the EMPTY tank,
w/form submitted to the DEQ (County).

Right! And when you buy one they have to ship it empty. Any more great
comments like this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 9:15�pm, Chris wrote:
Rudy wrote:
"PerryOne" wrote in message
A septic tank is always totally full of water...
As mentioned elsewhere, a tank must always be full, especially when
installing as the pressure of the backfill can damage the tank ..

Well not always. �In PIMA county AZ, you are required to EMPTY the tank
when the house is sold and there must be an inspection of the EMPTY tank,
w/form submitted to the DEQ (County).

Right! And when you buy one they have to ship it empty. Any more great
comments like this?

airizona water table is hundreds of feet deep since the state is
mostly a desert.

with so little water tank wouldnt float
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Oct 5, 9:15�pm, Chris wrote:
Rudy wrote:
"PerryOne" wrote in message

A septic tank is always totally full of water...
As mentioned elsewhere, a tank must always be full, especially
when installing as the pressure of the backfill can damage the
tank ..

Well not always. �In PIMA county AZ, you are required to EMPT

Y the tank
when the house is sold and there must be an inspection of the EMPTY
tan

k,
w/form submitted to the DEQ (County).

Right! And when you buy one they have to ship it empty. Any more
great comments like this?

airizona water table is hundreds of feet deep since the state is
mostly a desert.

with so little water tank wouldnt float

So in AZ it doesn't matter if your full of **** or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Chris wrote:

Caesar Romano wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 22:36:22 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote Re septic tank pump-out:

But then I guess he charges twice as much as the other companies, what
with the extra truck and the extra driver, and you gladly pay it, so,
uh, um, no, I'm not calling you stupid, but someone else might.

Bingo!

I wouldn't waste my time educating these two last responders, but just
for the knowledge of others who come he Filling up a large tank using
a normal faucet and on a well would waste my money and the maintenance
guys time. Got it, Einstein 1 and Einstein 2?

Gosh, Beaver, if you're not going to waste your time "educating" me,
then why are you presenting Swiss cheese arguments and then asking me
whether I "got it?"

Why don't you ask the "others who come here," whom you evidently believe
have bestowed some irrational measure of professorial credibility on
you, if they "got it?"

The only thing I "got" is that your septic man has sucked down a few too
many noxious fumes, and you're gullible enough to pay reverent homage to
the alleged wisdom of a man who made **** his life's work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 05 Oct 2008 11:10:06p, told us...

Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't worry about an empty septic tank floating up unless the
water table was about half way up the side. BTW there are a lot of
places where it might be that way but I bet they wouldn't let you put
a new tank in without building a hill over it, not burying it. It is
very common in Florida to have a mound of dirt with a septic tank in
it.

I live in the desert southwest. Little chance of having a high water
table. I suppose that's why they're all buried empty out here. The only
requirement for filling them is filling them with dirt when they've been
retired.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 10(X)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
5wks 19hrs 11mins
I'd hate to be an alcoholic with
Alzheimer's. Imagine needing a drink
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 6:12*pm, Chris wrote:
Caesar Romano wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 22:36:22 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote Re septic tank pump-out:

But then I guess he charges twice as much as the other companies, what
with the extra truck and the extra driver, and you gladly pay it, so,
uh, um, no, I'm not calling you stupid, but someone else might.

Bingo!

I wouldn't *waste my time educating these two last responders, but just
for the knowledge of others who come he Filling up a large tank using
a normal faucet and on a well would waste my money *and the maintenance
guys time. *Got it, Einstein 1 and Einstein 2?

So folks, if *geniuses like these two suggest to do the same at your
place give them the boot.

When I build a new house in a high water table (almost at the
surface), I filled mine with a hose. Took half a day to do it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 10:49*pm, "Rudy" wrote:
"PerryOne" wrote in message

A septic tank is always totally full of water...
As mentioned elsewhere, a tank must always be full, especially when
installing as the pressure of the backfill can damage the tank ..

Well not always. *In PIMA county AZ, you are required to EMPTY the tank
when the house is sold and there must be an inspection of the EMPTY tank,
w/form submitted to the DEQ (County).

He is talking about the proper working of the tank and is correct.
Except when it is being pumped out, it will always be full or there is
something drastically wrong with it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 2:24*pm, aemeijers wrote:
wrote:
dont know much about septic tanks but do know about my uncles built in
swimming pool, it was beautful.

uncle had high water table, and hole filled with water during pool
install.

hge was warned to never pump out pool for extended period.

he infornmed new owner who did that one winter the pool raised right
out the ground and was ruined,

perhaps thats the issue here?

It can happen to ANY container underground, that is lighter than the
same cubic feet of water would be, if the saturated ground gets soft
enough. Septic tanks, utility vaults, coffins, pools, empty oil tanks
(sometimes even half-full ones), whatever. There is a reason New Orleans
graveyards are above-ground. It is also a reason you don't pour a
basement slab until the house is on top of the foundation walls, unless
you are damn sure the water table is WAY down there. (You don't backfill
the walls till house is dryed in and the slab is poured either, if you
are smart. Hydrostatic pressure can be a bitch.

--
aem sends...

Now, you should know better that to insert accurate, true information
into these discussions

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 1:40*pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
bs. * pure bs.

"PerryOne" wrote in message

On Oct 3, 1:12 am, "pat" wrote:
[...]

Perry- Hide quoted text -

Go read 'aemeijers' reply and learn something.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mighty slow hose...

"Harry K" wrote in message

When I build a new house in a high water table (almost at the
surface), I filled mine with a hose. Took half a day to do it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Oct 4, 10:49 pm, "Rudy" wrote:
"PerryOne" wrote in message

A septic tank is always totally full of water...
As mentioned elsewhere, a tank must always be full, especially when
installing as the pressure of the backfill can damage the tank ..

Well not always. In PIMA county AZ, you are required to EMPTY the tank
when the house is sold and there must be an inspection of the EMPTY tank,
w/form submitted to the DEQ (County).

He is talking about the proper working of the tank and is correct.
Except when it is being pumped out, it will always be full or there is
something drastically wrong with it.

I see what you mean...."ALWAYS" and "ALWAYS" means always, except for the
exceptions...right

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 6:37*am, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
Mighty slow hose...

"Harry K" wrote in message

When I build a new *house in a high water table (almost at the
surface), I filled mine with a hose. *Took half a day to do it.

Harry K

Water source was a spring only a little way above the houuse, no pump/
pressure tank, estimated maybe 15 psi if that.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 8:46*pm, "Rudy" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

On Oct 4, 10:49 pm, "Rudy" wrote:

"PerryOne" wrote in message

A septic tank is always totally full of water...
As mentioned elsewhere, a tank must always be full, especially when
installing as the pressure of the backfill can damage the tank ..

Well not always. In PIMA county AZ, you are required to EMPTY the tank
when the house is sold and there must be an inspection of the EMPTY tank,
w/form submitted to the DEQ (County).

He is talking about the proper working of the tank and is correct.
Except when it is being pumped out, it will always be full or there is
something drastically wrong with it.

I see what you mean...."ALWAYS" *and "ALWAYS" *means always, except for the
exceptions...right

So you _do_ have a reading comprehension problem.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ahhhhhh. I C.

"Harry K" wrote in message

Harry K

Water source was a spring only a little way above the houuse, no pump/
pressure tank, estimated maybe 15 psi if that.

Harry K

Water Storage Tank - Plumbing the Pump & Pressure Tank Scott Townsend Home Repair 13 September 28th 15 05:17 AM
Septic tank -- how often to pump? Stan Brown Home Ownership 16 November 5th 07 01:21 AM
No Septic Tank? Steve B Home Repair 29 June 19th 07 09:09 PM
Septic tank risers Al Bundy Home Repair 0 August 19th 06 06:15 AM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 06:02 PM