Posted to alt.home.repair

Default furnace question

i All,

I have a furnace that is now 14 years old and maintained regularly.

I am on Heating protection plan. How long does an average furnace
last -? Should I drop my Protection plan and just keep the annual
cleaning. I was thinking if I drop the Protection Plan and just keep
the annual cleaning I am saving about $125 bucks. I can put that
towards a new furnace when this one konks out. I have not read all the
exclusions but my feeling is they will not cover major parts and my
money might be better put towards a new furnace.

Any opinions -?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jazz" wrote in message
i All,

I have a furnace that is now 14 years old and maintained regularly.

I am on Heating protection plan. How long does an average furnace
last -? Should I drop my Protection plan and just keep the annual
cleaning. I was thinking if I drop the Protection Plan and just keep
the annual cleaning I am saving about $125 bucks. I can put that
towards a new furnace when this one konks out. I have not read all the
exclusions but my feeling is they will not cover major parts and my
money might be better put towards a new furnace.

Any opinions -?

Thanks

The time to have been saving the maintenance plan money was when it was
new-- 10-12 years or so. Now, keep the plan because components are more
likely to fail. If you get 15-20 years out of it, that's not bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reggie Dunlop wrote:
"jazz" wrote in message
i All,

I have a furnace that is now 14 years old and maintained regularly.

I am on Heating protection plan. How long does an average furnace
last -? Should I drop my Protection plan and just keep the annual
cleaning. I was thinking if I drop the Protection Plan and just keep
the annual cleaning I am saving about $125 bucks. I can put that
towards a new furnace when this one konks out. I have not read all the
exclusions but my feeling is they will not cover major parts and my
money might be better put towards a new furnace.

Any opinions -?

Thanks

The time to have been saving the maintenance plan money was when it was
new-- 10-12 years or so. Now, keep the plan because components are more
likely to fail. If you get 15-20 years out of it, that's not bad.

I just replaced the 1960 furnace in this place in 2006. Still ran fine,
just inefficient as hell. I sold my grandmother's 1961 house to a family
friend, and visit down there once a year or so- it still has the
original furnace, but the blower motor has been replaced at least once
(because I did it 20 years ago.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jazz" wrote in message
i All,

I have a furnace that is now 14 years old and maintained regularly.

I am on Heating protection plan. How long does an average furnace
last -? Should I drop my Protection plan and just keep the annual
cleaning. I was thinking if I drop the Protection Plan and just keep
the annual cleaning I am saving about $125 bucks. I can put that
towards a new furnace when this one konks out. I have not read all the
exclusions but my feeling is they will not cover major parts and my
money might be better put towards a new furnace.

Any opinions -?

Thanks

Most furnaces can last 20+ years, but, anything mechanical will eventually
wear out and break. Most likely problems are blower motor, gas valve,
controls. If you had put away the cost of a service plan for the past 14
years, you'd have enough savings to pay for any repair and by the time it
needs replacing, for a new furnace.

I don't advocate extended warranty or service plans. They are a source of
profit for the seller, not something they do to help you in the long run.
Some people find it easier to pay $125 a year for ten years rather than $300
one time for a repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bubba" wrote in message
I don't advocate extended warranty or service plans. They are a source of
profit for the seller, not something they do to help you in the long run.
Some people find it easier to pay $125 a year for ten years rather than
$300
one time for a repair.

I'll disagree with you 100%. Service plans are very effective in
preventing breakdowns. Like anything, it depends on the servicing
company. If they are sending out 1st year techs on your new high
efficiency, you might not be getting your moneys worth.
Service agreements are NOT money makers. Believe me, Id much rather
take $300, $400 or $500 from you on a repair than $125 a year to do a
"tune-up". Its about committment to my customers. I pride myself in
the fact that my customers are not inconveinced with a breakdown on a
cold holiday weekend because I have properly and thoroughly serviced
their system. This gives me "weight" when they make their new
equipment purchase over another company. Just read the manual that
came with the furnace. All newer furnaces require annual maintenance.
Bubba

No, you don't disagree. I'm talking about extended warranty. I never said
don't do any service. You still should have that annual checkup and pay for
it. It is the portion that covers parts that rarely break that is the money
taker.

Question about Furnace Ball of Fluff[_2_] Home Repair 16 January 21st 08 01:30 PM
Hypothetical Furnace question Jimi Home Repair 5 February 1st 07 01:03 AM
Furnace question [email protected] Home Ownership 3 April 1st 05 06:19 PM
Gas furnace question DS Home Repair 2 March 8th 05 02:44 AM
Another old furnace question Dan Hall Home Repair 5 November 30th 04 05:06 PM