Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Free-Standing Stairs, Attached to Concrete Pad, Not House

Converting garage into family room. Contractor cut a hole in the back
and installed a sliding glass door. Door sits on top of existing
foundation. I now need to build stairs to make the 15" drop from patio
door to grade.

Inspector has come over. Says because my drop is only 15", I do not
need a landing or railings. It will be the door, 7.75" drop to one
tread, 7.75" drop to a concrete pad. This is meant to be temporary,
until I can build a full deck next spring/summer. Inspector has
approved.

I was planning on installing a ledger board to the house, and building
stairs like I did with my existing deck. Just joice hangers off the
ledger. But inspector says he is worried my concrete pad will heave
and damage the building.

Inspector recommends building stairs that do NOT attach to the house.
Instead, they would be attached only to the concrete pad.

So I need advice on how to build a set of free standing stairs, that
are attached to a concrete pad, but do not get attached to the house.
I am thinking 2 4x4 posts, buried in concrete, ledger across those two
posts, attach stairs from there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 12:19*pm, wrldruler wrote:
[...]

"2 4x4 posts, buried in concrete" for a temporary set of stairs?

Why not build a free standing unit, with 4 x 4's resting on the pad
and a PT stretcher between them, also resting on the pad. Drill
through the stretcher and use TapCons or bolts with lead anchors in
the pad to keep the unit in place.

Add a bolted down stretcher across the front of the bottom step
(behind the riser if there is one) for even more stability.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrldruler wrote:
Inspector has come over. Says because my drop is only 15", I do not
need a landing or railings. It will be the door, 7.75" drop to one
tread, 7.75" drop to a concrete pad. This is meant to be temporary,
until I can build a full deck next spring/summer. Inspector has
approved.

So I need advice on how to build a set of free standing stairs, that
are attached to a concrete pad, but do not get attached to the house.
I am thinking 2 4x4 posts, buried in concrete, ledger across those two
posts, attach stairs from there.

That's pretty heavy for "temporary".

You really don't have a "set of stairs"; just a single step/tread.

I'd just set a tuba-whatever(1) on a few bricks or similar to keep of
the ground and add a stretcher front and rear. A couple angle brackets
into the existing slab could be added if they're actually not heavy
enough on their own to stay in place.

(1) Field-dimension to get proper height including tread...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 1:32*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

(behind the riser if there is one) for even more stability.- Hide quoted text -

I didn't even catch the fact that it's really just a single step.

Heck, build a box and fill it will bricks or dirt or whatever to keep
from moving.

If the inspector insists, bolt it to the pad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrldruler wrote:

Inspector recommends building stairs that do NOT attach to the house.
Instead, they would be attached only to the concrete pad.

So I need advice on how to build a set of free standing stairs,

I saw at my local hardware store some pre-built concrete steps in
different sizes, from a single step up to 3 I believe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:
wrldruler wrote:

Inspector recommends building stairs that do NOT attach to the house.
Instead, they would be attached only to the concrete pad.

So I need advice on how to build a set of free standing stairs,

I saw at my local hardware store some pre-built concrete steps in
different sizes, from a single step up to 3 I believe.

I was going to suggest that too, till I saw the part about it being a
single step. I'd just get some solid 8" concrete block and set them in a
row- they won't go anywhere. If inspector gets anal, mortar them to the
slab- they'll pop right off with a few whacks from a BFH when the time
comes, and can be used for other things around the yard.

--
aem sends...

Free standing gas range Old Time Cook Home Repair 8 September 22nd 08 11:05 AM
Free standing racking Broadback UK diy 3 February 27th 08 09:47 AM
Water standing near house Stacia Home Repair 14 September 21st 07 03:48 AM
How do I fix a broken electrical conduit that is attached to a concrete slab? miamicuse Home Repair 16 April 10th 07 11:02 PM
Free standing deck riverhome Home Repair 16 April 27th 06 04:43 AM