DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   impact wrench and air compressor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/261754-impact-wrench-air-compressor.html)

[email protected] October 2nd 08 12:47 PM

impact wrench and air compressor

how do the spec-s of an air impact wrench relate to the air
compressor?
i need to loosen a crankshaft pulley bolt that is torqued at 134 ft-
lb. on a 1998 honda civic LX. i have a sears craftsman 1.5hp 4-
gallon @90psi air compressor. i don't yet
have an air impact wrench. what should i look for in terms of psi
when i go to buy one, such that i can use that air compressor to drive
the impact wrench to loosen the bolt? tia.

John Grabowski October 2nd 08 01:05 PM

wrote in message

how do the spec-s of an air impact wrench relate to the air
compressor?
i need to loosen a crankshaft pulley bolt that is torqued at 134 ft-
lb. on a 1998 honda civic LX. i have a sears craftsman 1.5hp 4-
gallon @90psi air compressor. i don't yet
have an air impact wrench. what should i look for in terms of psi
when i go to buy one, such that i can use that air compressor to drive
the impact wrench to loosen the bolt? tia.

Usually PSI and CFM are the main requirements for tools. There are also
electric impact wrenches available. Have you tried a 3/4" drive socket with
a 4' pipe over the breaker bar.

dpb October 2nd 08 01:13 PM

wrote:
how do the spec-s of an air impact wrench relate to the air
compressor?
i need to loosen a crankshaft pulley bolt that is torqued at 134 ft-
lb. on a 1998 honda civic LX. i have a sears craftsman 1.5hp 4-
gallon @90psi air compressor. i don't yet
have an air impact wrench. what should i look for in terms of psi
when i go to buy one, such that i can use that air compressor to drive
the impact wrench to loosen the bolt? tia.

The problem is you'll have adequate pressure but highly unlikely to have
sufficient volume (cfm) to drive a sizable impact wrench. Most will
need in the 7-9+ cfm range at 90-100 psi to come close to the spec's
you're wanting.

[email protected] October 2nd 08 02:40 PM

impact wrench and air compressor

a 4 gallon compressor wont give 2 seconds of impact with a 1/2 inch
drive impact.

Joe October 2nd 08 04:07 PM

On Oct 2, 6:47*am, wrote:
how do the spec-s of an air impact wrench relate to the air
compressor?
i need to loosen a crankshaft pulley bolt that is torqued at 134 ft-
lb. on a 1998 honda civic LX. * i have a sears craftsman 1.5hp 4-
gallon @90psi *air compressor. *i don't yet
have an air impact wrench. *what should i look for in terms of psi
when i go to buy one, such that i can use that air compressor to drive
the impact wrench to loosen the bolt? tia.

Buy a twin hammer impact like the IR 231 (I have a Porter-Cable knock-
off, $105) and it will take off the bolt in a heart beat. Been there,
done that. Old fashioned puny impacts simply won't get the job done.
Look for a lb-ft rating of 400 or better (600 is good) and don't worry
about PSI. Just set your compressor to something over 110 lbs or so if
you can and go for it. The bolt will be off before the compressor
needs to cycle again.
The twin hammer impacts are also perfect for removing lawn mower
blades, putting on snow tires (use wheel chocks) and similar chores.
Have fun.

Joe

Smitty Two October 2nd 08 04:37 PM

impact wrench and air compressor

In article
,
wrote:

how do the spec-s of an air impact wrench relate to the air
compressor?
i need to loosen a crankshaft pulley bolt that is torqued at 134 ft-
lb. on a 1998 honda civic LX. i have a sears craftsman 1.5hp 4-
gallon @90psi air compressor. i don't yet
have an air impact wrench. what should i look for in terms of psi
when i go to buy one, such that i can use that air compressor to drive
the impact wrench to loosen the bolt? tia.

Forget about that. Just use a breaker bar long enough to be braced
against the ground, disconnect the ignition, and hit the starter for one
second.

Got that tip from my mechanic after spending three days trying to help a
friend loosen that pesky nut, and it worked as advertised.

dpb October 3rd 08 01:10 AM

Blattus Slafaly wrote:

...1.5hp 4-gallon @90psi air compressor. ...

Your compressor may give you 30 seconds of impact wrench time ...

Well, 4gal -- ~0.5cu-ft and a typical 1/2" impact wrench will need
roughly 5 cfm@90-100psi (I was thinking of the big 3/4" jobbie earlier
needing almost 9). So, not accounting for any losses at all would be
about 1/10th of a minute (6 sec) and poof!--tank's empty.

I really doubt if he'd get it to spin up to speed even, what more
actually make an effective impact.

Stormin Mormon October 3rd 08 01:19 PM

impact wrench and air compressor

As others have mentioned, that compressor may be too small to drive an
impact wrench. Harbor Freight has an electric impact for sale, which is
supposed to deliver 200# foot pounds. Just plug it in, and no compressor
needed. It's rather long, from back to socket so it won't fit in some
spaces.

For your application, how about a socket and a long breaker bar? Impact
wrenches do have the advantage of "rattling" which tends to break up rust.
With a breaker bar, you may need to heat up the nut.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Smitty Two October 3rd 08 01:46 PM

impact wrench and air compressor

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

As others have mentioned, that compressor may be too small to drive an
impact wrench. Harbor Freight has an electric impact for sale, which is
supposed to deliver 200# foot pounds. Just plug it in, and no compressor
needed. It's rather long, from back to socket so it won't fit in some
spaces.

For your application, how about a socket and a long breaker bar? Impact
wrenches do have the advantage of "rattling" which tends to break up rust.
With a breaker bar, you may need to heat up the nut.

The breaker bar isn't going to do anything but turn the engine, unless
the OP uses it in the manner I suggested earlier...

Stormin Mormon October 3rd 08 02:34 PM

impact wrench and air compressor

With lawn mowers, if you rotate the blade backwards, you can hit a
compression stroke. Might happen with cars, too. With the old standard
shifts, you could leave it in gear. Turning the flywheel bolt shifts the
car. I've done that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Smitty Two October 3rd 08 05:50 PM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

With lawn mowers, if you rotate the blade backwards, you can hit a
compression stroke. Might happen with cars, too. With the old standard
shifts, you could leave it in gear. Turning the flywheel bolt shifts the
car. I've done that.

Maybe you missed my earlier post where I spent three days on that damn
nut. Leave the standard transmission car in gear, and you move the whole
damn car. Jam on the emergency brake, park another car against it,
doesn't matter. A breaker bar used in standard manner will not likely
bust it loose.

Joe October 3rd 08 08:40 PM

On Oct 2, 7:10*pm, dpb wrote:
Blattus Slafaly wrote:

...1.5hp 4-gallon @90psi *air compressor. *...

Your compressor may give you 30 seconds of impact wrench time ...

Well, 4gal -- ~0.5cu-ft and a typical 1/2" impact wrench will need
roughly 5 cfm@90-100psi (I was thinking of the big 3/4" jobbie earlier
needing almost 9). *So, not accounting for any losses at all would be
about 1/10th of a minute (6 sec) and poof!--tank's empty.

I really doubt if he'd get it to spin up to speed even, what more
actually make an effective impact.

--

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. My twin hammer Porter-Cable works
just fine with my Hitachi twin tank portable (1.5 gallon, or whatever)

Joe

dpb October 3rd 08 08:44 PM

Joe wrote:
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. My twin hammer Porter-Cable works
just fine with my Hitachi twin tank portable (1.5 gallon, or whatever)
set at 110 PSI. The OP stated 135 lb-ft torque is reached by many
impacts in less than two seconds. Calculations are trumped by actual
facts every time.

Well, mayhaps yours does; even my 1/2" I-R certainly won't off the small
roughly equivalent to OP's oilless de-Vilbiss compressor...and I
wouldn't venture to recommend someone plan on making a purchase on the
basis of a grossly undersized compressor.

Stormin Mormon October 3rd 08 09:50 PM

impact wrench and air compressor

Correct, I did miss the earlier thread. Oops. Do you have a friend with a
bigger compressor, and air gun? Failing that, lots of heat may help. I do
have a plug in impact wrench. Where are you? What size is the nut?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

SteveT[_2_] October 4th 08 12:31 AM

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 07:13:58 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:
how do the spec-s of an air impact wrench relate to the air
compressor?
i need to loosen a crankshaft pulley bolt that is torqued at 134 ft-
lb. on a 1998 honda civic LX. i have a sears craftsman 1.5hp 4-
gallon @90psi air compressor. i don't yet
have an air impact wrench. what should i look for in terms of psi
when i go to buy one, such that i can use that air compressor to drive
the impact wrench to loosen the bolt? tia.

The problem is you'll have adequate pressure but highly unlikely to have
sufficient volume (cfm) to drive a sizable impact wrench. Most will
need in the 7-9+ cfm range at 90-100 psi to come close to the spec's
you're wanting.

Fastest way to get that bolt off is a 6 point 1/2" socket attached to a
long breaker bar extended with a piece of pipe. Attach and bump the starter.
Used this method repairing Saturns. Works every time.

Smitty Two October 4th 08 06:22 AM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Correct, I did miss the earlier thread. Oops. Do you have a friend with a
bigger compressor, and air gun? Failing that, lots of heat may help. I do
have a plug in impact wrench. Where are you? What size is the nut?

I'm not the guy with the current problem, just a guy with past
experience. Wedge breaker bar against the ground, disconnect ignition,
hit starter for a second. Done. Painless.

Mark October 5th 08 03:25 AM

impact wrench and air compressor

Well, 4gal -- ~0.5cu-ft and a typical 1/2" impact wrench will need
roughly 5 cfm@90-100psi (I was thinking of the big 3/4" jobbie earlier
needing almost 9). *So, not accounting for any losses at all would be
about 1/10th of a minute (6 sec) and poof!--tank's empty.

Is that a valid computation?

A 4 gallon tank may be 0.5cu ft in volume, BUT the air inside it is
compressed so I think a 4 gal tank holds a lot more than 0.5cu ft of
compressed air.

But maybe not... does anybody KNOW?

Mark

Big Al[_3_] October 5th 08 03:48 AM

wrote:
[...]

If you can get a solid 6 point socket on it with a good breaker bar. Hit the
breaker bar with a large rubber hammer. It will come off. If you have the
room, a good impact wrench will get it off. Good and made in China are not
synonymous:) BTW: I have a 30" long Snap-On breaker bar. It would be
worthless for this job as it's springy. The breaker bar needs to be solid.

Reminds me of a mechanic up the street. Was trying to get the axle nut off
an old Studebaker. Put a large pipe wrench on the nut. Told his helper to
put it in gear and let the clutch fly while he stood on the wrench. Tossed
him about ten feet, broke his arm and shoulder. The helper put it in
reverse:)

Al

Stormin Mormon October 5th 08 01:57 PM

impact wrench and air compressor

I've had some success with pulling on the breaker bar, and then whack the
breaker bar (about halfway down the handle) with a metal hammer. Sends a
shock wave into my hand, and also into the nut. The OP will probably have to
remove the radiator to get an impact wrench in.

Sorry to hear about the guy turning the gearbox the wrong way. That's no
good, to send the boss flying through the air.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus