DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How many wires needed for thermostat? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/261732-how-many-wires-needed-thermostat.html)

scorpionleather October 2nd 08 08:11 AM

How many wires needed for thermostat?

I just noticed my existing wire bundle going to the thermostat has 4 wires
but I am having a new variable speed two stage furnace (Trane XV80)
installed with the existing one stage condenser. I looked in the Honeywell
VisionPro thermostate install guide and it looks like I might need at least
5 or 6 wires. The installer will discover whatever needs to be done, but
just wondering ahead of time if they will have to replace this wire because
it goes through some tricky wall sections.

Uncle Monster[_3_] October 2nd 08 10:58 AM

scorpionleather wrote:
I just noticed my existing wire bundle going to the thermostat has 4
wires but I am having a new variable speed two stage furnace (Trane
XV80) installed with the existing one stage condenser. I looked in the
Honeywell VisionPro thermostate install guide and it looks like I might
need at least 5 or 6 wires. The installer will discover whatever needs
to be done, but just wondering ahead of time if they will have to
replace this wire because it goes through some tricky wall sections.

There is a product available for this situation.
If your HVAC tech is not familiar with the item,
print out the information for him/her/it.

http://jacksonsystems.com/search/156

http://www.johnstonesupply.com/corp/...uct_group=5161

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Old AC Guy October 2nd 08 02:51 PM

How many wires needed for thermostat?

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 23:11:44 -0700, "scorpionleather"
wrote:

I just noticed my existing wire bundle going to the thermostat has 4 wires
but I am having a new variable speed two stage furnace (Trane XV80)
installed with the existing one stage condenser. I looked in the Honeywell
VisionPro thermostate install guide and it looks like I might need at least
5 or 6 wires. The installer will discover whatever needs to be done, but
just wondering ahead of time if they will have to replace this wire because
it goes through some tricky wall sections.

he will either run a wire bundle that has enough wires or jump w1 and
w2. Just stay out of the way and let them do their job.

scorpionleather October 2nd 08 06:20 PM

How many wires needed for thermostat?

If heat relay 1 and 2 are jumpered together, what functions of the Honeywell
VisionPro thermostat would I be giving up? I would guess that the
thermostat separates them for a reason. I would like to decide if it is
worth the effort to run more wires through the wall or if that would be a
waste because the thermostat does the same thing when it is jumpered.

Rick-Meister October 2nd 08 08:14 PM

How many wires needed for thermostat?

If you're going to get the Honeywell Vision Pro, spend a few extra
bucks and get the Vision Pro IAQ. The relay module is located down by
the furnace and it only needs 3 wires up to the T-stat. You will save
more by buying the IAQ than it will cost you to run extra wires.

It's ALWAYS better to use a 2-stage thermostat than to use the default
mode on a 2-stage furnace control board. If you jumper the W1 and W2
on the Vision Pro, you're defeating the whole purpose of getting a
2-stage thermostat.

Lp1331 1p1331 October 3rd 08 03:46 AM

How many wires needed for thermostat?

If W1 and W2 are jumpered, the furnace will start the heat cycle on low
stage heat and will automatically kick up to high after a certain time--
I think about 7 minutes. A/C will not be affected. If there is any way
to run new wires, do so. If it is absolutely impossible to get wires
through the walls without tearing drywall up, see if there is any other
location to put the thermostat. If you are going to go to the trouble of
running wire, run 9 conductor wire for any future needs. Good luck!

Tony Hwang October 3rd 08 04:49 AM

Uncle Monster wrote:
scorpionleather wrote:
I just noticed my existing wire bundle going to the thermostat has 4
wires but I am having a new variable speed two stage furnace (Trane
XV80) installed with the existing one stage condenser. I looked in
the Honeywell VisionPro thermostate install guide and it looks like I
might need at least 5 or 6 wires. The installer will discover
whatever needs to be done, but just wondering ahead of time if they
will have to replace this wire because it goes through some tricky
wall sections.

There is a product available for this situation.
If your HVAC tech is not familiar with the item,
print out the information for him/her/it.

http://jacksonsystems.com/search/156

http://www.johnstonesupply.com/corp/...uct_group=5161

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Hmmm,
I just went to wireless thermostat. Couldn't run any extra wires easily.