Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mortar and clay chimney flue question

I'm adding 12" to the top of my chimney flue. I'm trying to get it a
little taller then the gas fireplace flue that's right next to it -
the smell of the smoke comes down the gas flue.

So I'm not an expert with mortar. Any tips on mortaring this 13x13x12
pipe? Won't the weight of the flue pipe squeeze a lot the mortar out?

Thanks
JaKe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 8:16*am, " wrote:
I'm adding 12" to the top of my chimney flue. *I'm trying to get it a
little taller then the gas fireplace flue that's right next to it -
the smell of the smoke comes down the gas flue.

So I'm not an expert with mortar. *Any tips on mortaring this 13x13x12
pipe? *Won't the weight of the flue pipe squeeze a lot the mortar out?

Thanks
JaKe

12" may not do it, you are back drafting, you are also pulling down
Co, a poison.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"ransley" wrote in message
On Oct 1, 8:16 am, " wrote:
I'm adding 12" to the top of my chimney flue. I'm trying to get it a
little taller then the gas fireplace flue that's right next to it -
the smell of the smoke comes down the gas flue.

So I'm not an expert with mortar. Any tips on mortaring this 13x13x12
pipe? Won't the weight of the flue pipe squeeze a lot the mortar out?

Thanks
JaKe

12" may not do it, you are back drafting, you are also pulling down
Co, a poison.

Also exhaust fans may be creating negative pressure and sucking smoke down
the flue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 10:02*am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
I'm adding 12" to the top of my chimney flue. *I'm trying to get it a
little taller then the gas fireplace flue that's right next to it -
the smell of the smoke comes down the gas flue.

So I'm not an expert with mortar. *Any tips on mortaring this 13x13x12
pipe? *Won't the weight of the flue pipe squeeze a lot the mortar out?

That's why it's mixed stiff.

But, I'd ask what's the rest of the chimney--a flue liner block doesn't
a chimney make; it needs lateral protection/support.

--

The chimney is made with clay flue liners all the way down.

JaKe

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

The chimney is made with clay flue liners all the way down.

Standing alone???