DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mortar and clay chimney flue question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/261688-mortar-clay-chimney-flue-question.html)

[email protected] October 1st 08 03:16 PM

Mortar and clay chimney flue question

I'm adding 12" to the top of my chimney flue. I'm trying to get it a
little taller then the gas fireplace flue that's right next to it -
the smell of the smoke comes down the gas flue.

So I'm not an expert with mortar. Any tips on mortaring this 13x13x12
pipe? Won't the weight of the flue pipe squeeze a lot the mortar out?

Thanks
JaKe

ransley October 1st 08 03:39 PM

On Oct 1, 8:16*am, " wrote:
I'm adding 12" to the top of my chimney flue. *I'm trying to get it a
little taller then the gas fireplace flue that's right next to it -
the smell of the smoke comes down the gas flue.

So I'm not an expert with mortar. *Any tips on mortaring this 13x13x12
pipe? *Won't the weight of the flue pipe squeeze a lot the mortar out?

Thanks
JaKe

12" may not do it, you are back drafting, you are also pulling down
Co, a poison.

EXT October 1st 08 07:02 PM

"ransley" wrote in message
On Oct 1, 8:16 am, " wrote:
I'm adding 12" to the top of my chimney flue. I'm trying to get it a
little taller then the gas fireplace flue that's right next to it -
the smell of the smoke comes down the gas flue.

So I'm not an expert with mortar. Any tips on mortaring this 13x13x12
pipe? Won't the weight of the flue pipe squeeze a lot the mortar out?

Thanks
JaKe

12" may not do it, you are back drafting, you are also pulling down
Co, a poison.

Also exhaust fans may be creating negative pressure and sucking smoke down
the flue.

dpb October 1st 08 07:02 PM

wrote:
I'm adding 12" to the top of my chimney flue. I'm trying to get it a
little taller then the gas fireplace flue that's right next to it -
the smell of the smoke comes down the gas flue.

So I'm not an expert with mortar. Any tips on mortaring this 13x13x12
pipe? Won't the weight of the flue pipe squeeze a lot the mortar out?

That's why it's mixed stiff.

But, I'd ask what's the rest of the chimney--a flue liner block doesn't
a chimney make; it needs lateral protection/support.

[email protected] October 1st 08 07:53 PM

On Oct 1, 10:02*am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
I'm adding 12" to the top of my chimney flue. *I'm trying to get it a
little taller then the gas fireplace flue that's right next to it -
the smell of the smoke comes down the gas flue.

So I'm not an expert with mortar. *Any tips on mortaring this 13x13x12
pipe? *Won't the weight of the flue pipe squeeze a lot the mortar out?

That's why it's mixed stiff.

But, I'd ask what's the rest of the chimney--a flue liner block doesn't
a chimney make; it needs lateral protection/support.

--

The chimney is made with clay flue liners all the way down.

JaKe

dpb October 1st 08 08:07 PM

Mortar and clay chimney flue question

The chimney is made with clay flue liners all the way down.

Standing alone???