Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repair a broken CHIMINEA style patio fireplace

A friend of mine had some high winds and her patio table was blown into and
knocked over her CHIMINEA style patio fireplace. It was a fairly clean
break right where the chimney starts.

She has built a small fire in it after the accident and reports that there
is only a small amount of smoke leaking around the crack. Looking for
something simple to secure the two pieces back together. I thought of fire
clay but that might not be so simple. I would prefer something she could do
herself.

You guys aware of anything in a tube that might work? Some type of fire
caulk?

This is not a large model but I imagine it does reach a fairly high
temperature.

This page illustrates the type of product we are talking about:
http://www.readingcasual.com/chimineas.htm

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...
A friend of mine had some high winds and her patio table was blown into and
knocked over her CHIMINEA style patio fireplace. It was a fairly clean
break right where the chimney starts.

She has built a small fire in it after the accident and reports that there
is only a small amount of smoke leaking around the crack. Looking for
something simple to secure the two pieces back together. I thought of
fire clay but that might not be so simple. I would prefer something she
could do herself.

You guys aware of anything in a tube that might work? Some type of fire
caulk?

This is not a large model but I imagine it does reach a fairly high
temperature.

This page illustrates the type of product we are talking about:
http://www.readingcasual.com/chimineas.htm

Colbyt

there is a product that is used to repair kilns. you can get it at ceramic
supply stores or online. the product name is called sairset.

http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/..._Code=31376-QT

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:32:01 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

A friend of mine had some high winds and her patio table was blown into and
knocked over her CHIMINEA style patio fireplace. It was a fairly clean
break right where the chimney starts.

She has built a small fire in it after the accident and reports that there
is only a small amount of smoke leaking around the crack. Looking for
something simple to secure the two pieces back together. I thought of fire
clay but that might not be so simple. I would prefer something she could do
herself.

-snip-

A pottery group might be a better place to ask. Personally I'd be
afraid of there being a thousand small hidden cracks just waiting for
the worst possible time to cause the whole thing to explode.

You're talking about pottery that will be asked to go from ambient
temperature to several hundred degrees in a few minutes.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 10:32*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

A plumbing, heating, fireplace or even some hardware stores should
have a mortar mix for high temps- boilers-fireplaces etc. Dont buy
anything in a tube, mortars cure by chemical reaction. But nothing may
bond well