Posted to alt.home.repair

Default siding on old garage

On Sep 29, 1:01*pm, cporro wrote:
the lofty ideas i have aren't really that lofty. not compared to real
studio construction. i have a pretty well regarded book by a guy who
has done studio construction for over 30 years. what i'm describing is
very different from standard construction but old hat for studio
construction.

the basic concept is we are setting up a mass,spring, mass system.
outer drywall, air, inner drywall. if you had something like 24"
cement not much sound would make it through. if its sealed right that
is. so more mass = more sound isolation. so the sound has to move the
interior wall then cause the air pocket to compress (like a spring)
which then moves the exterior wall. this is a very efficient way to
lower transmission. its not big secret in studio construction.

i couldn't agree more about doing it right. and being cautious. that's
why i've read a few books and am taking come construction classes. the
last thing i want to do is do it wrong.

i don't think i'm trying to take this to obscene lengths. my area has
pretty quiet ambient levels on a A weight scale, under 60db. so if i
could get an STC of 50 that would be great. that's obtainable with
what i'm doing. EMF interference isn't a goal.

i'm reading though the permit process in my area to see what i'm in
for. at some point i'll probably look at building code.

i'm in san francisco.

sure i'll take the referral, thanks.

My apologies.

What I meant by "lofty" .....

is that your theoretical understanding of the problem, budget,
construction & design experience don't all match up with the
successful creation of your studio.......

........ without a lot more study and preferably the help of an
experienced designer and builder (could be the same guy)

I fully understand the theoretical underpinnings of the "mass,
spring, mass" concept and have a lot of design & construction
experience.

But I wouldn't take on my first studio design / build without some
real experienced help.

I have a former student (now a structural engineer), an avid guitar
enthusiast, years of design & construction plus he's designed & built
a couple low cost studios.......unfortunately he now lives in AZ.

Email me privately & I give you his contact info (if you would like
it).

He consults all over the southern US & comes to California quite
often. If he cannot help you personally, I sure he would have
additional leads.

cheers
Bob