Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Follow-up on motor brushes

Success.

Well Home Depot has nothing in its webpage under motor brush or brush
motor, and under brush, it has 52 brushes, but all for painting and so
forth. It also has nothing at the local store, even in the area with
partitioned boxes of specialty screws.

Lowe's has only one item in the online catalog, a set of brushes for a
Dremel too;. The closest store is about 5 miles and so I went to the
local hardware store first.

And the one remaining hardware store on my local shopping street has,
in its stack of partitioned boxes of specialty screws etc. 3 whole
boxes of brushes, with about 16 sizes in each box. So about 48
different sizes! 48!!! Maybe more.

Thanks, Edwin.

So even though I only went to look, until I can take apart teh motor,
I bought a pair. 1/4x1/4x1/2"L, but a little longer than that because
there is a circular stub sticking out, around which goes a spring.

They also had 1/8" longer, which would correspond to the length I was
told, but maybe it would be too long with its round thing. Given
that the first brushes lasted 14 years, I think the new ones will last
11 years even if I got brushes that are shorter than they should be.
And frankly, though there is nothing much wrong now with my 95
LeBaron, I don't expect the car to last 11 more years. (I always plan
to keep my car for 20 years, but I've never made it past 7! (total, 14
years old.)

And I can probably go exchange them at the last minute anyhow, once I
open the thing. There were several more pairs of each length.

But I bought now on the wierd possibility they could sell every brush
my size before I get back there. Or get rid of brushes when they
rearrange their space, as they have a couple times in the last couple
years (frankly, selling less hardware, and more space for garden
supplies, or renting power equipment, small and big), or even go out
of business (I sure hope not.)

$3.71 each. Complete with the necessary braided wire coming out of
the tail end, and a spring around that (which I will probably remove,
because this motor has its own springs)

Let's hear it for real hardware stores, instead of home improvement
centers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Sep 29, 10:25*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

amen. BTW Jandorf is the name that comes to mind that supplies most
of the hdwe. stores with their motor brush assortments, but their web
site is useless when trying to find a catalog page with dimensions (in
case they make something that you can use but your local store doesn't
stock.)

A while back I seemed to come across nonfunctional Stewart-Warner
"pulse drive" tach senders every so often, my then-local hardware
store probably was very confused as to why I kept coming in and buying
the same part number brush over and over again I was simply
rewiring them (the wire was regular old 16/3 extension cord wire) and
putting new brushes in them and selling them to people with old
Studebaker Hawks whose tachs didn't work...

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

brushes are by design soft and can be easily filed to change length or
width. i have done this in the past with great success
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2008 5:35 AM Blattus Slafaly spake thus:

I have made my own brushes with brush stock.

The Total DIY Guy in me says "kewl". But where do you get this stuff? Is
it still available, or is this something that came from some
well-stocked electrical parts store of yore?

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 30, 11:45*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/30/2008 5:35 AM Blattus Slafaly spake thus:

I have made my own brushes with brush stock.

The Total DIY Guy in me says "kewl". But where do you get this stuff? Is
it still available, or is this something that came from some
well-stocked electrical parts store of yore?

snip

Carbon rods are available at any welding supply store. Theater supply
stores used to stock electrodes for carbon arc lamps. And there are
specialty firms that stock the high current copper-carbon brushes used
in starters and generators HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Sep 30, 11:45 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/30/2008 5:35 AM Blattus Slafaly spake thus:

I have made my own brushes with brush stock.

The Total DIY Guy in me says "kewl". But where do you get this stuff? Is
it still available, or is this something that came from some
well-stocked electrical parts store of yore?

snip

The center pole of a used carbon zinc AA, C, and D battery.

-- larry/dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:35:17 -0400, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:

I have made my own brushes with brush stock.

Sounds good if I have to, but how could I attach the braided copper
wire that these brushes have?

Or otherwise connect the brushes to whatever they're connected to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have made my own brushes with brush stock.

Sounds good if I have to, but how could I attach the braided copper
wire that these brushes have?

Or otherwise connect the brushes to whatever they're connected to?

File a groove around the back end of the carbon, wrap end of
braid in the groove and "tin" the braid. It gets real
snug when it cools.

Or drill a small hole and pin the braid in it.

You can actually plate copper to the end stuck in copper
sulfate with a piece of copper and power supply, but that's
too much trouble...

-- larry/dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have made my own brushes with brush stock.

Sounds good if I have to, but how could I attach the braided copper
wire that these brushes have?

Or otherwise connect the brushes to whatever they're connected to?

File a groove around the back end of the carbon, wrap end of braid in the
groove and "tin" the braid. It gets real snug when it cools.

Or drill a small hole and pin the braid in it.

You can actually plate copper to the end stuck in copper sulfate with a
piece of copper and power supply, but that's too much trouble...

-- larry/dallas

Or, just buy a larger brush and cut it down. Years ago I did a lot of
electric motor repair. Made a miniature table saw with a sewing machine
motor and a thin abrasive cut off wheel. Had a small guide made out of
aluminum angle. Cut many brushes on it.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I have made my own brushes with brush stock.

Sounds good if I have to, but how could I attach the braided copper
wire that these brushes have?

Or otherwise connect the brushes to whatever they're connected to?

File a groove around the back end of the carbon, wrap end of
braid in the groove and "tin" the braid. It gets real
snug when it cools.

Wow. Sounds good.

Or drill a small hole and pin the braid in it.

Good idea number 2.

You can actually plate copper to the end stuck in copper
sulfate with a piece of copper and power supply, but that's
too much trouble...

Yeah.

Thanks a lot.

-- larry/dallas