Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.antiques

Default O'Keefe and Merritt range question: turning all the ovens without thepilot light

Hello All:

I have an O'Keefe and Merritt range that looks similar to this:

http://www.classicranges.com/Web%20Pix/OM1950.jpg

I had the utility guy turn off the pilot light early summer since it
was adding a tremendous amount of heat load to the already hot
southerly kitchen.

How do I turn on the ovens without the pilot light being on?

Thanks!

Deguza
[Please post your response here, I do not check my Hotmail account.]
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.antiques

On 9/29/2008 4:06 PM Kompu Kid spake thus:

I have an O'Keefe and Merritt range that looks similar to this:

http://www.classicranges.com/Web%20Pix/OM1950.jpg

I had the utility guy turn off the pilot light early summer since it
was adding a tremendous amount of heat load to the already hot
southerly kitchen.

How do I turn on the ovens without the pilot light being on?

This looks like an early enough model to not have a safety valve (which
doesn't allow gas to flow unless the pilot is lit), in which case all
you have to do is put a match to the oven burner, which is under the
oven and on top of the broiler compartment.

It's easy to tell if this will work: open the broiler (or better yet
take the drawer out completely), turn the oven control on and see if you
hear gas coming out. If you do, then you only need to light the burner,
and you'll see the flame immediately. (Obviously, you don't want to
leave the gas on for any longer than necessary before lighting it.)

If you don't, then you have a safety valve and will have to re-light the
pilot. When you do, there is an adjustment valve for the pilot; you can
turn it down so it uses a minimal amount of gas. (But don't turn it down
*too* far, or it may be possible for the pilot to get blown out if
there's a breeze.)

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.antiques

"Kompu Kid" wrote in message

http://www.classicranges.com/Web%20Pix/OM1950.jpg

I had the utility guy turn off the pilot light early summer since it
was adding a tremendous amount of heat load to the already hot
southerly kitchen.

How do I turn on the ovens without the pilot light being on?

Thanks!

Deguza
[Please post your response here, I do not check my Hotmail account.]

You turn the knob on the front. Oh, you mean how do you "light" the oven.

The older ovens that had no pilot light had a round port on the front of the
bottom oven pan where you held a match and turned the gas valve on. Yours
may or may not have that setup. If not, you have to get a flame down to
burner level with either a long match or one of the butane bbq lighters.
With winter coming, re-light the pilot as it will just add needed heat to
the house.