DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to get rid of a skunk (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/261554-how-get-rid-skunk.html)

Zephyr September 29th 08 08:05 PM

How to get rid of a skunk

Hey all,

Just happened upon a really simple way to get rid of a skunk that had
found residence under a low hanging bay window while my wife and I
were on a weeks vacation recently.

I waited untill 10 when it was dark and the skunk had struck out for
its nightly meal.
I grabbed my trouble light with a hi efficiency halogen bulb, and my
extension cord.
Skunks are nocturnal, don't like light. I slid the trouble light
under the bay as far as I could using a wood pole, and left the light
on all night. I'm guessing as some point in the early morning the
skunk came back home to go sleep for the day and found the lights
on.

at 7:30 the next morning when I checked he was no where to be found.
I filled in his hole attempt to skunk proof the bay this weekend. A
lot less stinky than a 22 or live trap. Works without messing with
chemicals.

I used the halogen bulb cause its not nearly as hot when on, so if
some leaf or other debris was kicked on the bulb I wouldn't have a
fire risk.

good luck,

Dave

Bob September 29th 08 11:22 PM

How to get rid of a skunk

"Zephyr" wrote in message
[...]

Skunks like dog food, so another trick is to make a trail of dog
food over to your neighbor's yard for a few nights. Just kidding,
you solution sounds like a good one.

Bob-tx

Stormin Mormon September 30th 08 02:01 PM

How to get rid of a skunk

Halogen bulb not being as hot? As I understand, the halogen vapor in the
lamp allows them to run a lot hotter, so you get more light out of the
filament. Please use fluorescents under there.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

HeyBub[_3_] September 30th 08 04:28 PM

How to get rid of a skunk

Bob wrote:

Skunks like dog food, so another trick is to make a trail of dog
food over to your neighbor's yard for a few nights. Just kidding,
you solution sounds like a good one.

Someone penned a similar suggestion a time back. As I recall the response:

"Thanks for the advice. I now have TWO skunks under my porch!"

Zephyr September 30th 08 04:34 PM

How to get rid of a skunk

On Sep 30, 9:01*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Halogen bulb not being as hot? As I understand, the halogen vapor in the
lamp allows them to run a lot hotter, so you get more light out of the
filament. Please use fluorescents under there.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

sorry, your right, I was using a florecent, not sure why I typed
Halogen.

Dave

Uncle Monster[_3_] October 2nd 08 10:03 AM

How to get rid of a skunk

Zephyr wrote:
[...]

I always thought the best way to get rid of
a skunk was to start a grass roots movement
and vote the skunk out of office.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Dave Martindale October 2nd 08 06:13 PM

How to get rid of a skunk

"Stormin Mormon" writes:
Halogen bulb not being as hot? As I understand, the halogen vapor in the
lamp allows them to run a lot hotter, so you get more light out of the
filament. Please use fluorescents under there.

Generally, 120 V halogens seem to have two lamp envelopes (bulbs). The
inner one is small so it runs very hot - that's necessary for the
chemical reaction that removes vaporised tungsten from the bulb. It's
made of quartz to handle the heat.

But then there is a second outer bulb, made of ordinary glass. It's a
lot further from the filament, so it has more area to dissipate heat.
It should be about the same temperature as an ordinary incandescent bulb
of the same wattage (since both of them ultimately dissipate almost all
of the input power as heat).

On the other hand, a fluorescent is a good idea because the amount of
power to be dissipated is about 1/4 as much for the same amount of
light.

Dave