Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I plug a chest freezer into a basic 3 prong outlet?

Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for this question but...

My wife and I plan to purchase this chest freezer:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rs&sName=Chest

I'm assuming it's just a 3 prong plug. So I'm assuming I can plug it
into just any 3 prong outlet? I just wonder if this is like plugging
in an air conditioner and we would need one of those special outlets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My wife and I plan to purchase this chest freezer:http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...Name=Appliance...

I'm assuming it's just a 3 prong plug. So I'm assuming I can plug it
into just any 3 prong outlet? I just wonder if this is like plugging
in an air conditioner and we would need one of those special outlets.

These do not draw much current, a 15 amp outlet should be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 07:28:22 -0700 (PDT), "Declan's Dad"
wrote:

Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for this question but...

My wife and I plan to purchase this chest freezer:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rs&sName=Chest

I'm assuming it's just a 3 prong plug. So I'm assuming I can plug it
into just any 3 prong outlet? I just wonder if this is like plugging
in an air conditioner and we would need one of those special outlets.

It will work with any outlet, but it should be on a separate circuit.
You don't want the breaker tripping and spoil the food.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for this question but...

My wife and I plan to purchase this chest freezer:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rs&sName=Chest

I'm assuming it's just a 3 prong plug. So I'm assuming I can plug it
into just any 3 prong outlet? I just wonder if this is like plugging
in an air conditioner and we would need one of those special outlets.

It will work with any outlet, but it should be on a separate circuit.
You don't want the breaker tripping and spoil the food.

For the same reason as above it should not be on a GFI protected line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 12:28*pm, "Declan's Dad" wrote:
Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for this question but...

My wife and I plan to purchase this chest freezer:http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...Name=Appliance...

I'm assuming it's just a 3 prong plug. So I'm assuming I can plug it
into just any 3 prong outlet? I just wonder if this is like plugging
in an air conditioner and we would need one of those special outlets.

The specific reply to you question is how many watts (or horsepower)
does it use.

However assuming you are in North America? And btw a search using the
number given did not find the item on the Sears site.

And if it is normal sized domestic chest type freezer: Yes mostly it
can be plugged into any regular 3 prong outlet.

And the other postings here make sense. There are usually multiple
outlets on any one circuit; so you should make sure that the new
freezer is not plugged into a group of outlets with other heavy
appliances on the same breaker/fuse circuit.

For example if you had. say, coffee maker, 700 watts, the freezer
maybe 400 watts (after it has started up and is running steady) and
someone plugs in a 1500 watt electric fry pan or toaster oven etc. the
total load would be 700+400+1500= 2600 watts. That's way too much for
a 15 amp outlet circuit and even too much for a 20 amp circuit. That's
why one is supposed to have multiple outlets on several circuits in a
kitchen.

Also any freezer or fridge takes a lot more current for the first few
milliseconds or even a second as it starts up. That 'surge' on an
otherwise lightly loaded circuit can trip the breaker. Nothing wrong,
just too much plugged in on that circuit!

The other warning is also good. Do not have any GFIs 'upstream' of the
freezer plug in. In fact none at all on that circuit would make sure.
But GFIs are often required on kitchen counter circuit because of the
presence of water and grounded metal appliances.

The reason for no GFI is because it could trip out and you may not
notice for a day or longer the freezer has lost power!!!!! Also when
even the small electric motors/compressors in fridges and freezers can
momentarily have enough electrical unbalance to operate a GFI which is
otherwise there for personal safety, almost every time the motor/
compressor starts up.

It's a matter of knowing what you are doing and observing the
electrical loads and compatibilities.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Blattus Slafaly wrote:
You can plug a freezer or an air conditioner in any outlet. What are you
talking about 'special outlet"?

One would find it somewhat difficult to put a 220V A/C plug in "any"
outlet, I think...

I would presume that's the question.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Blattus Slafaly wrote:

--

You said standard 3 prong.

_I_ said nothing other than saying you're saying "any outlet" is
obviously incorrect...