Posted to alt.home.repair

Default recommendations for good flat roof sealcoat?

i have a flat roof with a torch-down rolled asphalt surface. it's
been installed for 5+ years and i use that fibered aluminum silver
stuff you find at home depot and lowes to periodically coat it. the
coating is OK, certainly better than nothing, but i get minor weeping/
cracking only 12 months after a new application.

i'm looking for something that does a better job of filling in
existing minor weeping/cracking and *staying* filled in for more that
12 months. any suggestions would be most appreciated.

thx,
walter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 6:54*am, wrote:
i have a flat roof with a torch-down rolled asphalt surface. *it's
been installed for 5+ years and i use that fibered aluminum silver
stuff you find at home depot and lowes to periodically coat it. *the
coating is OK, certainly better than nothing, but i get minor weeping/
cracking only 12 months after a new application.

i'm looking for something that does a better job of filling in
existing minor weeping/cracking and *staying* filled in for more that
12 months. *any suggestions would be most appreciated.

thx,
walter

Are you sure it isnt a rubber roof, ive been using roll rubber roofing
on my flat roof, I didnt know there was asphalt torch down. Real
Asphalt is heated to about 350f and mopped on. If its rubber its
sealed the coating only keeps UV rays from ruining the roof, its not
leaking is it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 8:39*am, ransley wrote:

Are you sure it isnt a rubber roof, ive been using roll rubber roofing
on my flat roof, I didnt know there was asphalt torch down. Real
Asphalt is heated to about 350f and mopped on. *If its rubber its
sealed the coating only keeps UV rays from ruining the roof, its not
leaking is it.

yes...very sure. i ordered the roof myself and watched the installers
unroll the asphalt-based material and torch it down. i think it's
called a "modifield/rubberized asphalt" setup. do a quick google and
you can learn all you want about it.

the roof is not leaking, as it's only 6-7 years old and has been
sealcoating 2-3 times already. i put a fresh sealcoat on 12 months
ago, and already see the weeping/cracking reappearing where the
sealcoat had filled in..

seems to me there should be a sealcoating material that's a little
more long-lasting than the stuff at lowes/home depot.

walter