Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Craftsman mower 917.276022

Four year old mower, have replaced the three mandrel assemblies once
each, now all three are making grinding noise again. The manual shows
two bearings, and I was thinking maybe I could replace the bearings
rather than replacing the entire mandrel assembly and save some money.
Do you feel this is a realistic alternative? Once I solve this
grinding problem, how do I prevent the bearings from failing again so
soon?
Maybe a different supplier mfg's a better bearing?
I probably could do a better job of cleaning the underside of the deck
after each use but still wonder if i can't protect the bearings from
moisture better than a 30 minute cleaning after each use. There has
to be a better way!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

here are the bearings Part # 15
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...ist# partList

The manual shows
two bearings, and I was thinking maybe I could replace the bearings
rather than replacing the entire mandrel assembly and save some money.
Do you feel this is a realistic alternative?

Yes, but it seems that these bearings need maintenance..

Once I solve this grinding problem, how do I prevent the bearings from

failing again so
soon? Maybe a different supplier mfg's a better bearing?

Friends have a Craftsman tractor/mower about 8 yrs old.. I KNOW they don t
ever do any maintenance..After first 3 winters of gelled gasoline/carb crud,
I convinced then to DRAIN their fuel at the end of season but thats it.
They wouldnt have any idea where/how the bearings worked..but still it runs
?

I probably could do a better job of cleaning the underside of the deck
after each use but still wonder if i can't protect the bearings from
moisture better than a 30 minute cleaning after each use.

PACK the bearings with good quality grease before you install them. The
other replacement bearing/ mandrel sets may come DRY from the supplier.

There has to be a better way!!!

I hope you find it..these things usually last for years w/o tinkering with
the bearings. I dont suppose there are any grease nipples anywhere down
there ??

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Rudy wrote:
I hope you find it..these things usually last for years w/o tinkering with
the bearings. I dont suppose there are any grease nipples anywhere down
there ??

I would certainly expect anything of recent vintage (20 yr, roughly) to
be fully sealed, but certainly if they aren't and aren't greased that
would explain a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Four year old mower, have replaced the three mandrel assemblies once
each, now all three are making grinding noise again. The manual shows
two bearings, and I was thinking maybe I could replace the bearings
rather than replacing the entire mandrel assembly and save some money.
Do you feel this is a realistic alternative? Once I solve this
grinding problem, how do I prevent the bearings from failing again so
soon?
Maybe a different supplier mfg's a better bearing?
I probably could do a better job of cleaning the underside of the deck
after each use but still wonder if i can't protect the bearings from
moisture better than a 30 minute cleaning after each use. There has
to be a better way!!!

If you pressure wash the deck you may be forcing water into the spindles
( I assume that's what you mean by mandrel ) and thus ruining the
bearings. Frequent bearing failure can also occur if you tighten the
blades past the recommended torque setting or by not torquing the blade
nuts enough. By over torquing you put too much pressure on the bearings.
By under torquing you allow the g forces of the blade rotation to cause
the blades to over tighten thus causing premature bearing failure.
Unbalanced blades can also cause this, though you would probably notice,
immediately, the vibration from blades out of balance enough to affect
the bearings.
Another solution, buy a better mower than a Crapsman.