Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to determine correct 2 pole breaker size in amps (3rd and finalpic)

I need to install a breaker for my model HD-3 arco roto-phase rotary
phase converter. it's basically rated "max single motor 3 hp, max total
motors running at any one time 12 hp."

it'll be a 2 pole breaker, but what amps should I use? this image shows
a nice closeup of the device nomenclature plate...

http://www.image-upload.net/files/5385/arco_tags.jpg

thanks for info guys :-)

toolie
'an electrically dumb guy'
Posted to alt.home.repair

dave wrote:

I need to install a breaker for my model HD-3 arco roto-phase rotary
phase converter. it's basically rated "max single motor 3 hp, max total
motors running at any one time 12 hp."

it'll be a 2 pole breaker, but what amps should I use? this image shows
a nice closeup of the device nomenclature plate...

http://www.image-upload.net/files/5385/arco_tags.jpg

thanks for info guys :-)

toolie
'an electrically dumb guy'

Will depend on the rating of the motor you're running.

Go:
http://www.arco-electric.com/ApplicationGuide.cfm
Check out all the sections on the left pane.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:58:32 -0400, Speedy Jim
wrote:

dave wrote:

I need to install a breaker for my model HD-3 arco roto-phase rotary
phase converter. it's basically rated "max single motor 3 hp, max total
motors running at any one time 12 hp."

it'll be a 2 pole breaker, but what amps should I use? this image shows
a nice closeup of the device nomenclature plate...

http://www.image-upload.net/files/5385/arco_tags.jpg

thanks for info guys :-)

toolie
'an electrically dumb guy'

Will depend on the rating of the motor you're running.

Go:
http://www.arco-electric.com/ApplicationGuide.cfm
Check out all the sections on the left pane.

Or......start with 20 and work your way up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dave" wrote in message
I need to install a breaker for my model HD-3 arco roto-phase rotary phase
converter. it's basically rated "max single motor 3 hp, max total motors
running at any one time 12 hp."

it'll be a 2 pole breaker, but what amps should I use? this image shows a
nice closeup of the device nomenclature plate...

http://www.image-upload.net/files/5385/arco_tags.jpg

thanks for info guys :-)

toolie
'an electrically dumb guy'

According to the chart #10 wire and a 20 amp breaker is required.
http://www.arco-electric.com/InstallationGuide.cfm

You did not mention what you plan to use the phase converter for, but make
sure that you size it very carefully for the equipment that you want to
connect to it. I've had a few customers over the years get these things and
had them sized by the factory and in most cases they needed to be upsized.
It not just the motor HP, but also the way the motors are used that affects
the performance. Start-up current is one of the biggest problems.