Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running power and coax together

I'm re-routing the powerline to my electrically heated hot tub. It
needs to cross walkway, so I'd like to bury it in concrete in a cut that
would also hold the RG-6 coax from my satellite dish. They'd be
parallel about 4 ft. Is this OK, or will it lead to interference? Can
I get away with it if I put the power line in metal conduit? (Can metal
conduit be buried in concrete?)

Thanks for any advice,

Kelly
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kelly wrote:
I'm re-routing the powerline to my electrically heated hot tub. It
needs to cross walkway, so I'd like to bury it in concrete in a cut that
would also hold the RG-6 coax from my satellite dish. They'd be
parallel about 4 ft. Is this OK, or will it lead to interference? Can
I get away with it if I put the power line in metal conduit? (Can metal
conduit be buried in concrete?)

Thanks for any advice,

Kelly

If it is only 4 feet, why bust up the concrete? Cut a square of sod out
on each side, dig a couple holes, and drive a couple pipes under there.
Coax and power really need to be separate, at least a foot or so, IIRC.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kelly" wrote in message
I'm re-routing the powerline to my electrically heated hot tub. It needs
to cross walkway, so I'd like to bury it in concrete in a cut that would
also hold the RG-6 coax from my satellite dish. They'd be parallel about
4 ft. Is this OK, or will it lead to interference? Can I get away with
it if I put the power line in metal conduit? (Can metal conduit be buried
in concrete?)

Thanks for any advice,

Kelly

If each are in a separate piece of PVC conduit I think you would be fine.

I would do that even if UF cable is approved for your hot tub circuit in
your area.

I really don't have a clue as to what CODE might be but common sense says
the two should not touch.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 3:32*pm, Kelly wrote:
I'm re-routing the powerline to my electrically heated hot tub. *It
needs to cross walkway, so I'd like to bury it in concrete in a cut that
would also hold the RG-6 coax from my satellite dish. *They'd be
parallel about 4 ft. *Is this OK, or will it lead to interference? *Can
I get away with it if I put the power line in metal conduit? *(Can metal
conduit be buried in concrete?)

Thanks for any advice,

Kelly

First DONT use regular RG6, use RG6 quad shield instead (called
RG6QS), use waterprooff snap-n-lock terminators made for QS. It will
be fine, I have my coax, power UF, LAN and Voice CAT5 lines all in the
same trench out to the gazebo 50 feet away. No 60hz induction
problems at all with the TV computer or phone. A mere 4 feet will
probably be insignificant especially if you can get some dirt between
to separate them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Sep 27, 4:32*pm, Kelly wrote:
I'm re-routing the powerline to my electrically heated hot tub. *It
needs to cross walkway, so I'd like to bury it in concrete in a cut that
would also hold the RG-6 coax from my satellite dish. *They'd be
parallel about 4 ft. *Is this OK, or will it lead to interference? *Can
I get away with it if I put the power line in metal conduit? *(Can metal
conduit be buried in concrete?)

Thanks for any advice,

Kelly

We just dumped 4 wires (each in own 2" conduit, and provide 800 amp
services in each of 2 buildings), telecom in 4" conduit, and tv-cable
main feed (in conduit/cable) all in the same trench and then dumped 8"
of concrete on top of them so they didn't go anywhere. They ran
together for about 200 feet. No problem.